Liberty and exchange server

kejar31

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Instead of adding a Corporate account in 'Accounts & sync settings', I added an account using Email in the Applications.

This worked and shows as Corporate acct in 'Accounts & sync settings' now. Happy camper am I.

This is how I have hallways added exchange accounts and tried three of four now without an issue

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Considering only having adding a Corporate Acct once, that being back in August, figuring it out (and remembering) was quite a feat for old dummies like me (punch card era :) )

I'm impressed by this ROM as far as how absolutely smooth and snappy the phone is. Battery life exceptional.

My only concerns are no speed dial, HDMI and Voice (google search etc.), but I'm sure there will be options to remedy certain things like that.

HDMI will not be fixed for the forseable future.. speed dial is part of blur, but there is an app on the market called "speed dial" that will handle that for you... ad the get the voice to speech all you need to do is install Google voice search off the market.

jvward

Reaction score
Instead of adding a Corporate account in 'Accounts & sync settings', I added an account using Email in the Applications.

This worked and shows as Corporate acct in 'Accounts & sync settings' now. Happy camper am I.

This is how I have hallways added exchange accounts and tried three of four now without an issue

I have tried doing this this way and it didnt work. I just wiped the device and then reloaded the rom and attempted to add this account this same way and it did not work again. I also tried also adding my hotmail account in as an exchange account and this did not work also. I had hotmail setup this way in gummy rom, also with out an issue. Is there any other ideas what can be causing this, or a work around?

haagar

Reaction score
Exchange 2010 here and cannot connect. With the correct password I receive and "Unable to open connection to server" error. If I have an incorrect password I receive a bad password error. I tried both through the accounts and email and neither worked.

Last edited:

kejar31

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I don't remember seeing any exchange complaints with Gummy, but there sure is a lot now that Liberty came out.

I for one had the same issue on GJ as I do on liberty...

Well I have tried three differnent exchange accounts now and not had a problem with one of them?? If you are having issues and have access to give me an accoubt to test and want it fixed I sudgest you contact me via pm.... otherwise if I can't recreate it I can't fix it, sorry...

kejar31

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

colchiro

Reaction score
I don't remember seeing any exchange complaints with Gummy, but there sure is a lot now that Liberty came out.

Me too. I upgraded GJ to Liberty and the problem continued. Even deleted and re-added the account, no change.

Well I have tried three differnent exchange accounts now and not had a problem with one of them?? If you are having issues and have access to give me an accoubt to test and want it fixed I sudgest you contact me via pm.... otherwise if I can't recreate it I can't fix it, sorry...

Did you try the one I set up for you? I sent you a pm from androidforums and droidforums and didn't hear back.

kejar31

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Me too. I upgraded GJ to Liberty and the problem continued. Even deleted and re-added the account, no change.

Did you try the one I set up for you? I sent you a pm from androidforums and droidforums and didn't hear back.

Pm sent

TriadX1

Reaction score
Some new Exchange data from my experiments

I had some time to work on this over the weekend.

My Exchange account seems to setup ok, i.e no errors, but if I go into the account and hit refresh (to force a sync) I get the "cannot connect to server" message. I left my phone this way for a couple of days and to my surprise it appears that it synced a few messages. But after that, no matter what I did, it would fail with the same message. I tried every security option, etc, it made no difference.

I then decided that I could live with IMAP, so instead of Exchange (in the manual setup) I selected IMAP. I had the exact same issue.

Then I did something I never thought I would ever do again, I selected POP3, and it does connect and pull down the emails. I hate POP3 and several years ago swore I'd never touch it again, but it is the only way I can get my email from Exchange on my Droid X using the native client...

I have read dozens of other forums (since this is NOT specific to the GJ or Liberty ROMS, but seems to affect the native client on other phones as well.) I have tried different settings on the Exchange server (disabled SSL, and several other things) but nothing worked.

One person said their IT department determined it was a hard coded timeout in the native client that was too short, but since Google gave no user access to this setting, they said it could not be fixed. This seems plausible, as when I do get the error, it is almost instant. I have also heard people say that on their corporate WIFI, this issue does not exist. Again, the difference there would seem to be bandwidth/latency and not client/server settings. Probably a ton of code their that would need to be reverse engineered...but since Liberty is compiled from the source code of the native client, can we see if there is such a timeout that could be tweaked?

Sorry for the long post...

colchiro

Reaction score

Check your gmail or PM.

Then I did something I never thought I would ever do again, I selected POP3, and it does connect and pull down the emails. I hate POP3 and several years ago swore I'd never touch it again, but it is the only way I can get my email from Exchange on my Droid X using the native client...

We dropped pop several years ago so that's not an option. OWA in a browser window would still work, but that's no fun on a 4.3" screen.

TriadX1

Reaction score

I just sent a PM with account info for testing...

OP
C

ctslaton

Reaction score
Look forward to getting this exchange thing resolved! Sounds like some movement and testing is taking place. Please keep us posted, excited about getting another ROM that works consistently with Exchange, or at least defining the problem as to why it works for some and not all. Thanks Kejar and exchange administrators for working together.

colchiro

Reaction score
Kejar31 indicated to me that adding the exchange account thru the email app was the way to go, however I can't get that to work for me, even after a factory reset. I still have to enter a 9 character strong password to use Exchange 2007.

email_security.jpg
activation.jpg

Last edited: