Liberty 2.0.1 to Liberty GB

zer0ed77

Reaction score
Liberty Team,

What's it going to take to get the upgrade path restored for folks still on 2.0.1? I'd like to get my girlfriend's device on GB Liberty, without having to perform any risky roads. We have paid for the full version of Liberty Toolbox in her device, but now it's near worthless. I shocked when the previous path was pulled from the ROM Manager.

Can we please get some help? I know many others have this same issue. Their posts can be found on this forum.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

cannuh

Reaction score
I too am wondering this.

Mine has been running like absolute crap i must say. Laggy as hell, slow, it rings rings ive never heard before, it rings when no one is calling. ugh.

Im ready to move on yet dunno how to do so.

Im on 2.2.1. Is this 2.3.340?

OP
zer0ed77

zer0ed77

Reaction score
I too am wondering this.

Mine has been running like absolute crap i must say. Laggy as hell, slow, it rings rings ive never heard before, it rings when no one is calling. ugh.

Im ready to move on yet dunno how to do so.

Im on 2.2.1. Is this 2.3.340?

I know that, supposedly, a solution was being worked on. I am a little baffled by what the hold-up is. There was a path in place. It was yanked, and now some paying members are left dead in the water.

It's a shame. I am on Liberty GB 0.9 and love it. I left my gf's at 2.0.1. When I went to upgrade it, the path was removed and we were told to sbf, a method that is risky to even more experienced members.

We'll see what happens. Kind pissed I paid 5 bucks for nothing. As for my device, good-to-go. Hopefully we get a response on this forum. Most of the team seem to be giving most attention to RootzWiki now, because "we're all noobs."

Reaction score
I know that, supposedly, a solution was being worked on. I am a little baffled by what the hold-up is. There was a path in place. It was yanked, and now some paying members are left dead in the water.

It's a shame. I am on Liberty GB 0.9 and love it. I left my gf's at 2.0.1. When I went to upgrade it, the path was removed and we were told to sbf, a method that is risky to even more experienced members.

We'll see what happens. Kind pissed I paid 5 bucks for nothing. As for my device, good-to-go. Hopefully we get a response on this forum. Most of the team seem to be giving most attention to RootzWiki now, because "we're all noobs."

1. You didn't pay 5 bucks for nothing. You donated 5 bucks to the devs. of this ROM for how incredibly awesome they are. It's 5 bucks. And you got a sweet ROM out of it.

2. SBF isn't risky unless your cat has a nasty habit of chewing through the USB cable you use to SBF the phone during the process. Here's the upgrade path:

How to go from Liberty 2.0.1 to LGB:

What you'll need (google these if you don't have/can't find them):
1. z4root.1.3.0.apk
2. Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap v1.0.0.3.apk (Note the Droid 2, not Droid X.)
3. RSD Lite 4.9
4. VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01.sbf
5. TBH's 2-part Rooted GB .596 (You'll find these here: http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/d...-everyone.html - find File Part 1 and File Part 2.)
6. Liberty GB 0.x
7. --A 100% CHARGED BATTERY.--

1. Copy the apk files, TBH zips and Liberty 0.8 to your SD card.
2. Install RSD Lite 4.9 on your PC (Windows only. If you don't have Windows, let us know.)
3. Put your phone in bootloader mode by turning it off then holding down volume down + camera button + power until you see white text on black background. (You might have to release after a few seconds and click the power button once really quickly to get the screen to come up.)
4. Connect your phone to your computer via USB.
5. Run RSD Lite 4.9.
6. Select your phone (it's the only item in the table), then select ... to choose the SBF file you downloaded, then click Start. Wait for your phone to reboot.
-- Problems: 1. If your phone doesn't show up in RSD Lite, let us know. 2. Your phone may get stuck in a boot loop. If it does, battery pull, hold down the home + power buttons to get into stock recovery then wipe data/factory reset. If your phone gets to this point, the SBF was successful whether RSD Lite tells you it was or not.
7. Don't activate your phone. Press the 4 corners of the screen from the top left clockwise (bottom corners ABOVE the on-screen buttons) to skip activation. (NOTE: I've found that putting the phone in airplane mode by long-pressing the power button just after skipping the activation will get you through the backup screen hoopla much more quickly than waiting for it to fail.)
8. Enable unknown sources in applications and USB Debugging in applications->development
9. Install and run z4 Root, should reboot your phone. If it doesn't do it yourself.
10. Install Droid 2 Bootstrap, then Bootstrap Recovery, then Reboot Recovery. Phone should reboot into clockwork mod.
11. Install Part 1 of TBH's rooted GB, then Part 2, then LGB 0.x.
12. Wipe data/factory reset.

That ought to do it. :)

By the way, you committed to the possibility of SBFing your phone when you rooted it and installed a non-stock ROM. No going back on that now!

OP
zer0ed77

zer0ed77

Reaction score

1. You didn't pay 5 bucks for nothing. You donated 5 bucks to the devs. of this ROM for how incredibly awesome they are. It's 5 bucks. And you got a sweet ROM out of it.

2. SBF isn't risky unless your cat has a nasty habit of chewing through the USB cable you use to SBF the phone during the process. Here's the upgrade path:

How to go from Liberty 2.0.1 to LGB:

What you'll need (google these if you don't have/can't find them):
1. z4root.1.3.0.apk
2. Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap v1.0.0.3.apk (Note the Droid 2, not Droid X.)
3. RSD Lite 4.9
4. VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01.sbf
5. TBH's 2-part Rooted GB .596 (You'll find these here: http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/d...-everyone.html - find File Part 1 and File Part 2.)
6. Liberty GB 0.x
7. --A 100% CHARGED BATTERY.--

1. Copy the apk files, TBH zips and Liberty 0.8 to your SD card.
2. Install RSD Lite 4.9 on your PC (Windows only. If you don't have Windows, let us know.)
3. Put your phone in bootloader mode by turning it off then holding down volume down + camera button + power until you see white text on black background. (You might have to release after a few seconds and click the power button once really quickly to get the screen to come up.)
4. Connect your phone to your computer via USB.
5. Run RSD Lite 4.9.
6. Select your phone (it's the only item in the table), then select ... to choose the SBF file you downloaded, then click Start. Wait for your phone to reboot.
-- Problems: 1. If your phone doesn't show up in RSD Lite, let us know. 2. Your phone may get stuck in a boot loop. If it does, battery pull, hold down the home + power buttons to get into stock recovery then wipe data/factory reset. If your phone gets to this point, the SBF was successful whether RSD Lite tells you it was or not.
7. Don't activate your phone. Press the 4 corners of the screen from the top left clockwise (bottom corners ABOVE the on-screen buttons) to skip activation. (NOTE: I've found that putting the phone in airplane mode by long-pressing the power button just after skipping the activation will get you through the backup screen hoopla much more quickly than waiting for it to fail.)
8. Enable unknown sources in applications and USB Debugging in applications->development
9. Install and run z4 Root, should reboot your phone. If it doesn't do it yourself.
10. Install Droid 2 Bootstrap, then Bootstrap Recovery, then Reboot Recovery. Phone should reboot into clockwork mod.
11. Install Part 1 of TBH's rooted GB, then Part 2, then LGB 0.x.
12. Wipe data/factory reset.

That ought to do it. :)

By the way, you committed to the possibility of SBFing your phone when you rooted it and installed a non-stock ROM. No going back on that now!

Thanks, but that's exactly what I didn't want to do. Yes, I can do that and it is easy. Risk is in the eye of the beholder. That's exactly my point, we shouldn't have to do all that to upgrade. Especially when there was once a clear, supported path.

Either way, not arguing. Looking for an answer. I do know there is some validity to my problem/concern. A lot have it. I do know the Liberty Team was working on a way to resolve this.

Reaction score
Ever since CM4DX came out, development on Liberty has been extremely stagnant. I'm hoping they pick it up soon because I'm very much into this ROM, especially since it's the best ROM out there AND it supports HDMI. But the devs have lives too, and we can't expect them to adhere to our schedule when they're working for what is essentially nothing. With the release of 0.9 though, it appears work may be picking back up.

Still, I would imagine you're probably going to be waiting quite a while for what you're looking for, so you have to ask yourself, is it worth it to wait an indeterminate amount of time for an easier upgrade path (if it ever comes) or take 1 hour of your life and follow the above instructions? Your call. :-D

OP
zer0ed77

zer0ed77

Reaction score
Ever since CM4DX came out, development on Liberty has been extremely stagnant. I'm hoping they pick it up soon because I'm very much into this ROM, especially since it's the best ROM out there AND it supports HDMI. But the devs have lives too, and we can't expect them to adhere to our schedule when they're working for what is essentially nothing. With the release of 0.9 though, it appears work may be picking back up.

Still, I would imagine you're probably going to be waiting quite a while for what you're looking for, so you have to ask yourself, is it worth it to wait an indeterminate amount of time for an easier upgrade path (if it ever comes) or take 1 hour of your life and follow the above instructions? Your call. :-D

That's certainly a good point and very true. Honestly, if I have to go this path to upgrade Liberty, I'll switch back to another ROM. Not sure I want to continue down the path with a ROM not truly supported by it DEVs.

Reaction score
Oh, you thought you could upgrade from FroYo to a different GB ROM without following those instructions? Think again.

The upgrade path I posted to you would be necessary for you to go from any FroYo ROM to any GB ROM. So whether you stick with this ROM or not, you're still going to have to do it if you want to go to GB. That's because Stock GB isn't rootable, and TBH's 2-part GB from stock .340 is pretty much the only way to go.

OP
zer0ed77

zer0ed77

Reaction score
Oh, you thought you could upgrade from FroYo to a different GB ROM without following those instructions? Think again.

The upgrade path I posted to you would be necessary for you to go from any FroYo ROM to any GB ROM. So whether you stick with this ROM or not, you're still going to have to do it if you want to go to GB. That's because Stock GB isn't rootable, and TBH's 2-part GB from stock .340 is pretty much the only way to go.

No, man. Well aware. Been there and done that. Think my post is getting confused for inexperience versus paid support. Didn't mean to sound like joe-smoe. To the contrary.

What I am saying now, I'd rather have to sbf to a ROM that doesn't have paid for toolboxes and what seems to be phased-out support.

Reaction score
They had the name of the "Pro" Liberty Toolbox better when they called it "Donate". Personally, I think it was a mistake to add options to the "donate" version that aren't there in the free version (the nightlies) but that's just my opinion.

I think the only option in the paid toolbox that's not in the free one is access to the nightlies section. Those nightlies appear in the forums shortly after they are released in the "donate" toolbox anyway, so for anyone who's willing to wait a week or two, it doesn't matter. Still, I stand by my opinion that the "donate" version should be just that - a DONATE version, with no strings attached. Not my call.

That being said, the Liberty ROM has the best following, best support and best developers of any ROM out there for the DX right now. CM7 is looking promising but it's pre-alpha and doubtful it'll ever have HDMI support. I've shopped around myself, and have always come back. :)

OP
zer0ed77

zer0ed77

Reaction score
They had the name of the "Pro" Liberty Toolbox better when they called it "Donate". Personally, I think it was a mistake to add options to the "donate" version that aren't there in the free version (the nightlies) but that's just my opinion.

I think the only option in the paid toolbox that's not in the free one is access to the nightlies section. Those nightlies appear in the forums shortly after they are released in the "donate" toolbox anyway, so for anyone who's willing to wait a week or two, it doesn't matter. Still, I stand by my opinion that the "donate" version should be just that - a DONATE version, with no strings attached. Not my call.

That being said, the Liberty ROM has the best following, best support and best developers of any ROM out there for the DX right now. CM7 is looking promising but it's pre-alpha and doubtful it'll ever have HDMI support. I've shopped around myself, and have always come back. :)

Yep. And I sure wish that upgrade path was back in the Nightlies. Was a fully supported ROM and system, at that point.

Wadman

Reaction score
So I just updated liberty tool box and in the new update there is a path that says it takes you directly to gb from froyo. It says u have to be on gb before u are on liberty. So do I download this path.....factory reset....reroot....downlaod bootstrap....boot into recovery and install? I actually tried to move to gb from Frito and had all kinds of issues. My phone got stuck and literally would not even turn on. I really don't want to sbf or anything either and if this path is a direct path to gb then I might try it...

Reaction score
So I just updated liberty tool box and in the new update there is a path that says it takes you directly to gb from froyo. It says u have to be on gb before u are on liberty. So do I download this path.....factory reset....reroot....downlaod bootstrap....boot into recovery and install? I actually tried to move to gb from Frito and had all kinds of issues. My phone got stuck and literally would not even turn on. I really don't want to sbf or anything either and if this path is a direct path to gb then I might try it...

You can't go from GB to FroYo without SBFing, and while technically you can go from FroYo to GB without SBFing, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're on the stock ROM. SBF isn't as scary as it seems, because if you mess the SBF process up, or you SBF the phone with the wrong file, you can always clean it right up with another SBF. :)

naked freak 1

Reaction score
@0'd.....updated toolbox now contains. 596 install. I wanna try it but would love if you tried first and let us know how it works! Yeah I'm chicken! Thanx in advance!

OP
zer0ed77

zer0ed77

Reaction score
@0'd.....updated toolbox now contains. 596 install. I wanna try it but would love if you tried first and let us know how it works! Yeah I'm chicken! Thanx in advance!

Tried it earlier today. Works like a champ! Twenty minutes from Froyo to GB and Liberty!!! That's what I've been talking about.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk