Li-Ion and Li-Poly charging difference?

jadesocket

Reaction score
So I recently upgraded my stock 1300mah battery to the seidio 1750mah battery and I was wondering if there was anything i need to do to my charging habits. I know that the package instructions tell me to charge it 2 to 3 hours even after the green led comes up, but that leads me to believe that this battery can overcharge unlike the Li-Ion one.

So now i ask you guys, should i just leave my charger on overnight on this Li-Poly battery or should i charge it only when i need to? Also, is it better to let it go down to say 15% and charge it back up to 100% or charge it a little at a time?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
No real difference. Top it off as needed. No need to full drain.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Sure wouldn't. Most chargers (can't speak for generic ones from gas stations) will stop charging a battery one its charged.

DroidForums junkie!!

DanielC

Reaction score
Pretty sure all modern cell phone batteries are Li-po and not Li-ion. Li-ion batteries need to be contained in a pressurized cell (round cells similar to nimh/nicad batteries)

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Batteries in the moto line of Droids are li-ion. Li-poly are more expensive and are more efficient as well.

Sent from somewhere...

DanielC

Reaction score
Batteries in the moto line of Droids are li-ion. Li-poly are more expensive and are more efficient as well.

Sent from somewhere...
"Cells sold today as polymer batteries are pouch cells. Unlike lithium-ion cylindrical cells, which have a rigid metal case, pouch cells have a flexible, foil-type (polymer laminate) case. In cylindrical cells, the rigid case presses the electrodes and the separator onto each other; whereas in polymer cells this external pressure is not required because the electrode sheets and the separator sheets are laminated onto each other."
Lithium-ion polymer battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know a thing or two about battery chemistry coming from R/C applications.

Also: $40 for a 1s (3.7v) 1750mah Li-po pack/cell that probably has a terrible discharge rating is absurd. For the same money I can purchase a 4s (14.8v) 5000mah high discharge pack.

OP
jadesocket

jadesocket

Reaction score
Yeah, i think the reason why it cost so much is because of its size/ability to fit in the case and trustworthiness of its brand. but hey, it works so im happy.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Lithium ion polymer...eh splitin hairs. No need for the language though.

Sent from somewhere...

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Its ok.....I had always heard them refered to as just lithium ion batteries....and had read about lithium polymers elsewhere and that they were very efficient batteries. Never looked under the back since I got my D1 as I've had no need.

Sent from somewhere...

DanielC

Reaction score
Lithium ion polymer...eh splitin hairs. No need for the language though.

Sent from somewhere...

You obviously didn't even bother to click my Wiki link. The common term is Li-po, li-poly or simply lithium polymer. You were wrong, it happens. Suck it up. dancedroid