LG's Own Experiment Claims LG Optimus G Has Longer Battery Life than the Galaxy S III

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lg-optimus-g-vs-sgs3-battery-tests.jpg

Although you can hardly call this test scientific or unbiased, supposedly according to their own internal tests, LG claims that their new flagship phone, the LG Optimus G has better battery life than the Samsung Galaxy S III. Here's a quote with the scoop,

Both devices have 2,100 mAh battery packs, but LG claims the higher density of its unit and the improved chemistry allowed for better results.

The tests were presumable done on equal footing - 50% screen brightness, full battery charge, with both phones connected to LG's U+ network. The results are as follows - 15.8 consecutive hours of talk on the Optimus G, compared to 9.5 hours on the Galaxy S III. The official specs of both phones are 15 hours of talk time in 3G mode for the G, and 11.5 hours for the S III, though.

Optimus G also recorded and played videos for 3.8 hours and 7.9 hours, respectively, whereas the Galaxy S III managed 2.8 hours recording and 7.3 of video playback.

The reason for this frugality was demonstrated for reporters playing PSY's "Gangnam Style" video, and while playing a 1.8 GB video game - in both cases the Optimus G showed lower power consumption compared to the Galaxy S III

What do you guys think? If their tests can be confirmed by a third party would this make you even more excited about this device?

Source: PhoneArena

champaned_out

Reaction score
Yesterday I had 17hrs straight without a charge on my s3 and still had 47% left at the end of the day.... that was with light to medium usage for the first 10hrs... with the remaining being in standby.... even if the LG does outperform it I'm still more than happy with my devicedevice

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Battery life is nice...but it doesnt make up for why I dont want it: storage size and no sd card.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I claim complete and total BS on the statement, "Both devices have 2,100 mAh battery packs, but LG claims the higher density of its unit and the improved chemistry allowed for better results."

2100mAh is 2100mAh. Period. It doesn't matter whether the battery is the size of a dime or my house. The chemistry and density of the battery affect its size not the amount of energy it stores.

The Optimus G may have longer battery life due to other hardware/software issues but it has nothing to do with the batteries in the two units.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I claim complete and total BS on the statement, "Both devices have 2,100 mAh battery packs, but LG claims the higher density of its unit and the improved chemistry allowed for better results."
2100mAh is 2100mAh. Period. It doesn't matter whether the battery is the size of a dime or my house. The chemistry and density of the battery affect its size not the amount of energy it stores.

The Optimus G may have longer battery life due to other hardware/software issues but it has nothing to do with the batteries in the two units.

Weeeeell, not so fast. It is true that battery chemistry and construction can have an effect on discharge rates and heat.

Still, I would hold more merit to this test if it was done by a 3rd party (neutral) firm.

edit: Even though they just announced bankruptcy, they did create a new technology that improves performance of lithium ion batteries. Oh well, let's just use gasoline to power our phones and be done with it.:blink:
Better Lithium Ion Battery Aims to Re-Energize Electric Cars: Scientific American

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
The amphour rating of the battery lets you know how long the battery will last based on the [constant] amperage being drawn. If both phones have 2100mAh batteries and both phones draw 2.1A during use, the battery will be drained in one hour. The ONLY way to make the battery last longer is to reduce the amperage drain on the battery, which has everything to do with the phone and absolutely nothing to do with the battery. If you want the battery to last ten hours, then the average drain on a 2100mAh battery (regardless of whether it is LiIon, LiPoly, lead acid, NiCd, NiMH, or whathaveyou) must be 210mA. Get your device's average draw down to 105mA and you've got a 20 hour battery life device.

The differing chemistries allow you to pack more chemical energy into a smaller package and change the power discharge curve, but the amphour rating is the amphour rating, regardless of chemistry.

HNettles

Reaction score
PC Mag just did a review of the LG Optimus G for Sprint, and they were not happy with the phone. They did not like the camera, and the two they had in house both had problems with heat.

Carsonhello

Reaction score
really? LG Optimus G Has Longer Battery Life than the Galaxy S III?I don't know,I want to buy galaxy s 3,but the battery life is always very very important to me.I hate the cell phone suddenly out of power and I have to charge it usually.........I really a want long time battery life machine..