LG2 vs. SG4?

comk4ver

Reaction score
I'm trying to see which of these I should buy the only reason I'm considering the LG2 is because my fav developer Davros is currently working a rom for this phone but, he's already got a working rom for the SG4. Plus, the LG2 is the most recent/latest phone around. Anyone coming from the SG4 and went to an LG2? I'm a hard user, facebook, google music, twitter, *cough tether cough*. I'm coming from a Samsung Galaxy Nexus so you can see I'm dying for a new phone. I currently switch between one extended and two regular sized batteries on my Nexus.

I know phone usage is subjective but, I need some kind of guideline I run around alot so I need a phone that can take at least twenty hours... Yes, I have a car charger, work charger, and two home chargers (separate battery and actual phone charger).

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I'm trying to see which of these I should buy the only reason I'm considering the LG2 is because my fav developer Davros is currently working a rom for this phone but, he's already got a working rom for the SG4. Plus, the LG2 is the most recent/latest phone around. Anyone coming from the SG4 and went to an LG2? I'm a hard user, facebook, google music, twitter, *cough tether cough*. I'm coming from a Samsung Galaxy Nexus so you can see I'm dying for a new phone. I currently switch between one extended and two regular sized batteries on my Nexus.

I know phone usage is subjective but, I need some kind of guideline I run around alot so I need a phone that can take at least twenty hours... Yes, I have a car charger, work charger, and two home chargers (separate battery and actual phone charger).

Well the battery in the G2 is much larger so that may decide it right there! I'd get the G2 if it were me.. Slightly larger, faster and ya gotta love the tap to wake it up deal!

KeepItReal

Reaction score
I agree with the tap on/off feature. So use to it that I have found my self trying to use it on my work Note 2, lol. There is not much to hate. The buttons on back are weird, and I have a hard time selecting the right one. However, tap on/off is better and all the volume controls appear in the notification bar when in use, i.e. when in call, volume up appears, playing music media volume appears. Really have no need to use those back buttons. Wish they could get an easier screenshot something instead of power button/volume down. It's a little awkward. Would be nice to have the have hand sweep over phone like Samsung!

devdeuce

Reaction score
I agree with the tap on/off feature. So use to it that I have found my self trying to use it on my work Note 2, lol. There is not much to hate. The buttons on back are weird, and I have a hard time selecting the right one. However, tap on/off is better and all the volume controls appear in the notification bar when in use, i.e. when in call, volume up appears, playing music media volume appears. Really have no need to use those back buttons. Wish they could get an easier screenshot something instead of power button/volume down. It's a little awkward. Would be nice to have the have hand sweep over phone like Samsung!

You can take a screen shot from the drop down menu. Quick memo does that, one button. You can also do it by swiping up from the home button and selecting quick memo to the right.

in99flames

Reaction score
The only drawback I can see is the lack of SD card slot on the US version of the G2…..it even gets me more that the US was the ONLY country to get this phone without the card slot :icon_rolleyes:. This won't matter much to most, but to me it is an issue. I am a pack-rat on my phones, I use about 50 GB with music games and movies. I do long plane rides(10hr plus) to Europe so having cloud storage means nothing to me at this point in time. I need a lot of local storage. Wifi on planes is not worth the cost to me and it isn't all that great if I want to download a movie. It is just not practical at this point in time.

I did find a way around and will share this with others. If you need more storage like me, buy a micro SD USB OTG cable and the G2 will read it as a removable drive(emulating an SD card). This is what I use to get my extra storage when needed.

The phone is a sure winner all around otherwise. Powerful, amazing screen, great camera….all around awesome device. I do not regret one bit.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
My friend has an S4 and we have compared them side by side many times. The G2 is faster, screen looks much better, reception is stronger and battery life is leaps and bounds above the S4. Her's has sd card support but 32GB onboard on my G2 is plenty for me as I don't store music or movies on my phone. Guess you see what my choice would be.

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
With a question like this you can't win no matter where you ask it. People will almost certainly favor a device that they own and use. It doesn't feel good when somebody asks you "which phone is better, the LG Ally or Original Droid?" when you just recently shelled out a lot for Ally. A person is going to want to grasp onto reasons to justify their decision. This can also then into a bias where it's not only the device you're justifying but the manufacturer as well. Weeding through all this can be a troublesome mess as it even appears in what many would consider more mainstream media. I'm sure there's a proper psychological term coined for this behavior :)

On the brighter side, if you own a G2 and somebody asks you which device is better, the SG4 or G2, then you will have more than blind devotion to find merit with, as the G2 is in a league that not many devices belong to right now. There'smore behind this phone than just the Snapdragon 800/Adreno 330. Many things which came as a surprise. For example, I didn't purchase the G2 expecting the radio to match up to and even outperform radios in Motorola devices I've used (who are renowed for their quality radios and signal strength). I wasn't expecting that gorgeous display to feel like silk as I glide my thumb around. Speaking of displays, I knew nothing at the time about the huge improvments LG made on battery consumption (display isnt always the first on the list in Settings anymore...

Hell, I never expected that I would flash BACK to an Optimus UI 4.2.2 (sort of...base is 4.2.2 but it's a beautiful mess...lol) ROM after using CyanogenMod a few days. My last phone was a Galaxy Nexus so I'm usesd to OTG USB instead of having a sdcard if I need the extra space. Like any other phone it's not perfect, but there are far fewer negative aspects when compared to other devices. You won't have to say stuff like "this is the perfect form factor in a phone" when what you're really trying to say is "the screen is smaller than I'd like and doesn't look nearly as good" or "the spec war is over!" or rehash whatever the buzz phrase is of the day on the blogs (yeah, both of those were cheap shots regarding a certain device which is hyped way out of proportion - it's not a bad phone at all but...in direct comparison there isnt one as the G2 is better in every category. The SD800 is capable of all the other phone's CPU can do even though it's not built in out the box. I'm off topic..:) Yeah its a good phone.;)

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The G2 is more Android like from the box, has a better camera, better battery life, better reception.
The S4 has better support and isn't being rumored to be abandoned in the near future.
External SD or not is subjective mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter .
I have no dog in the hunt so I am just posting what I see.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
I'm an "s pen aholic" Noteate

Big Ry

Reaction score
With a question like this you can't win no matter where you ask it. People will almost certainly favor a device that they own and use. It doesn't feel good when somebody asks you "which phone is better, the LG Ally or Original Droid?" when you just recently shelled out a lot for Ally. A person is going to want to grasp onto reasons to justify their decision. This can also then into a bias where it's not only the device you're justifying but the manufacturer as well. Weeding through all this can be a troublesome mess as it even appears in what many would consider more mainstream media. I'm sure there's a proper psychological term coined for this behavior :)

On the brighter side, if you own a G2 and somebody asks you which device is better, the SG4 or G2, then you will have more than blind devotion to find merit with, as the G2 is in a league that not many devices belong to right now. There'smore behind this phone than just the Snapdragon 800/Adreno 330. Many things which came as a surprise. For example, I didn't purchase the G2 expecting the radio to match up to and even outperform radios in Motorola devices I've used (who are renowed for their quality radios and signal strength). I wasn't expecting that gorgeous display to feel like silk as I glide my thumb around. Speaking of displays, I knew nothing at the time about the huge improvments LG made on battery consumption (display isnt always the first on the list in Settings anymore...

Hell, I never expected that I would flash BACK to an Optimus UI 4.2.2 (sort of...base is 4.2.2 but it's a beautiful mess...lol) ROM after using CyanogenMod a few days. My last phone was a Galaxy Nexus so I'm usesd to OTG USB instead of having a sdcard if I need the extra space. Like any other phone it's not perfect, but there are far fewer negative aspects when compared to other devices. You won't have to say stuff like "this is the perfect form factor in a phone" when what you're really trying to say is "the screen is smaller than I'd like and doesn't look nearly as good" or "the spec war is over!" or rehash whatever the buzz phrase is of the day on the blogs (yeah, both of those were cheap shots regarding a certain device which is hyped way out of proportion - it's not a bad phone at all but...in direct comparison there isnt one as the G2 is better in every category. The SD800 is capable of all the other phone's CPU can do even though it's not built in out the box. I'm off topic..:) Yeah its a good phone.;)

Arguably the best feature of the G2 is its ability to play "high resolution" audio. I've been an audiophile for ages, but I eventually succumbed to the mp3 cult. I got so fed up with popping CDs in and out of my pioneer receiver in my car. At first I was listening to 128kbps mp3s burned to a CD...total crap. I then moved onto the pioneer 9800bt which offered integration with an iPod, though the 24-bit DAC in that unit was mediocre. Now I use my 80prs that has USB input, so the conversion is done with the receivers' three 24-bit DACs...far better, but still not stellar. Now I've simply been resorting to Bluetooth streaming from Google music, which is a bit worse. Once hi res audio goes mainstream, it's going to be awesome to get such great quality from Google music...that's a long ways away though. For now, I can at least settle with ripping my CDs to FLAC and feeding them to my receiver via USB.

Tapped from my G2

jesssiii

Reaction score

I came from the galaxy nexus too. Used the S4a couple weeks, the HTC One for only a day (hated too much of it). Then, after buying the G2, I bought the S4 again to compare, planning to return the one I didn't like as much.

No contest. This phone is the best I've owned. Best battery life ever. I'm pleased. And even stock was nice.

LG G2 VS980 (VZW)

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
No contest. This phone is the best I've owned. Best battery life ever. I'm pleased. And even stock was nice.

LG G2 VS980 (VZW)

I see this said so much about the G2. Many people are happy with it stock. I'm one of them. I only use Apex Launcher do I can change folder icons.

Tap'd from my N7 v2

Ksupernor2

Reaction score
I came from the galaxy nexus too. Used the S4a couple weeks, the HTC One for only a day (hated too much of it). Then, after buying the G2, I bought the S4 again to compare, planning to return the one I didn't like as much.

LG G2 VS980 (VZW)

I came from the S4 also. It was good but I really like the G2 a lot better. For me the main thing is the screen and camera. It is also a bit smoother..... Happy with the G2 for the moment....

KeepItReal

Reaction score
Check out the white G2 Cyber Monday Deal from Verizon. You may make the choice!

dl1762

Reaction score
I have g2 verizon with 32gb , i wish it had sd but 32gb is enough for me, phone is all they say and more, the buttons are back no problem

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Big Ry

Reaction score
I don't care much about SD anymore. Google gave me like 50GB on drive for free, so that's plenty. I almost always have 4g, and I got unlimited data. I can stream anything I want lol. Still, an SD would be nice. I really don't get why they leave it out. It can't possibly cost that much. But I guess you gotta pinch every penny when you're selling top tier devices for $400-500

Tapped from my G2