LG Will Manufacture The Pixel XL 2!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-pixel-xl-2-concept-design_1489587227170-jpg.77576

The early Pixel 2 rumors suggested that Google would be putting out 3 devices small, medium, and large. New reports suggest that Google has cancelled the true Pixel XL 2 successor dubbed Muskie, and will instead focus on just two versions. There will apparently be a 5" and 5.5" version of the Pixel 2. The device codenamed Walleye is expected to be the smaller version while the device codenamed Taimen will be the larger device.

According to 9to5google LG will be manufacturing the Taimen device. It was widely expected that HTC would once again produce the next gen Pixel devices. Google had also been rumored to have been working with LG on flexible displays which lines up with this rumor as well. I for one would prefer an LG built Pixel XL 2 to an HTC built version. Who would you rather see produce the next Pixel XL 2?

via AndroidPolice

Attachments

• google-pixel-xl-2-concept-design_1489587227170.jpg
    google-pixel-xl-2-concept-design_1489587227170.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 8,126

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have no issue with LG producing one, despite the issues with the 5X. Narrow the top and bottom bezels and give me some front speakers and I'm sure it'll be my next device, especially if they keep it at 5.5, which has always been my ideal size.

If they can make the XL like they did the G2 (form factor only), that device was so nice to hold. Larger screen for the time, but easy to hold.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
Great! Now all the Pixel users can enjoy the over-heating, possible boot loops, and crappy battery life that all of us LG users are currently enjoying. Welcome to the family. LOL

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Sure IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF if looks the the concept in the op but I know it won't because nobody has the hmph to make a badass phone like that lol...

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've been really fed up with Android as of late...

I have a Nexus 6, and I can't get regular updates from Google, where as if I owned a iPhone 5S, I would still be getting updates from Apple. What is Apple doing that Google can't? They control all the hardware they sell. Google doesn't. Ok, Microsoft doesn't either (except the Surface line) but yet their hardware can still work with older legacy drivers if they have to. Not the most stable, but it works.

There is now a timeline stating when Pixel 1 will no longer get updates? What? People paid almost a $1000 dollars for this mini pocket computer!

For my Nexus 6, I have to resort to the whim of volunteer developers to keep my phone updated with various ROMS.

[sarcasm] I just love how my phone slows way down when I'm using Waze, and Google Play at the same time. When my phone heats up, it's especially nice in the winter. Oh no, I'm in no hurry, when I press the home button, I love waiting a few seconds for the screen to decide to draw, or not [/sarcasm]

Sure, I love Android for it's customization options, but I'm ready for stability now. I need things to work, and I don't want to have to worry about issues that may arise from an app crashing just because of reasons.

Google really needs to change the way they handle Android. I think they need to go the following route:
1. Run ChromeOS on phones and emulate Android on top of Chrome (not talking about ARC, I think ARC is stupid).
or
2. Run two versions of Android: Consumer Android and Android Enterprise

Consumer Android is what the masses use for free. If they are still running 4.4.4, because no updates exist, then so be it.
Android Enterprise runs the latest version of the Android Base Kernel. Follow me, stay in my little dream world.

I. The Android Base Kernel, is the Core of the Android operating system without drivers.
It is encased in the Driver Database Engine.

II. The Driver Database Engine can run on any phone, as long as the drivers written for the phone handle everything required to work (display, chipset, sound, cellular, etc.), and passes system requests and calls back and forth, all is well. This allows for the ABK to work on any device. It sits alongside the ABK, and the System Update Packages Model.

I'm still dreaming....

III. The SUPM is meant to collect Kernel updates and implement them. The SUPM is digitally signed, and the Kernel can only accept digitally signed Kernel updates. These updates supersede base security already included in the Android Base Kernel.

Dream Over!

oh, and will I buy the Pixel 2? Hell naw, not until I can get updates for it for as long as the phone works.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I can't say I don't feel the same @akhenax. I'm ready for something stable and supported. The Pixel is stable, but should be supported for a longer timeframe. Overall, I'm tired of the little issues Android still has.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Great! Now all the Pixel users can enjoy the over-heating, possible boot loops, and crappy battery life that all of us LG users are currently enjoying. Welcome to the family. LOL

maybe not if all LG is going to do is to manufacture a device that was already designed by Google engineers :)

Last edited:

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
I want to see Motorola make another Google device. I had the 5X for a year and then rolled back to a Nexus 6 because of build quality. The 5X was nice with some of the new features, but it did not wow me.

The concept looks pretty cool, but I don't like the glass back; forces people to use a case or skin because give it a month and it will have scratches all over it. Maybe that would be acceptable if we got fast wireless charging like Samsung.