LG Watch Urbane LTE 2nd Edition Available From Verizon and AT&T

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lg-watch-urbane-lte-2nd.png

The LG Watch Urbane LTE is back! This time we have the second generation version of this device. This one fixes the problems of the first generation device which caused it to be recalled last November. The James Bond style cellular enabled smartwatch is now available for retail sale at Verizon and AT&T.

The LG Watch Urbane LTE 2nd Edition can actually be used as a replacement for your smartphone because it can actually make & receive calls. The device does utilize your existing phone number, so you will need service with either one of these two providers. Of course, even though this device can serve you for phone calls and texts, it can't be a complete replacement for everything a regular smartphone can do.

Here are a couple of links:
  • Verizon = $500 full retail or $450 with 2-year contract + $40 activation fee and $5 a month service fee
  • AT&T = $360 full retail or $200 with 2-year contract + $45 activation fee and $10 a month service fee
Hmmm... these retail price differences seem extreme, but the whole picture seems to balance them out a bit... almost.

Here's our dedicated Android Watch section for further discussion: Android Watches

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Many didn't want to pay another line fee for a second line with the Gear S lineup. Though I'm ok with paying mine (second number ) I'd be a bit miffed to pay an extra $5 or $10 a month for just 1 line technically. Verizon was way different in its pricing of the S1 as well but they both pretty much equaled out for the 2 year contract price due to Verizon being so much cheaper in its monthly service fee ($20 difference in total outlay)

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah. I still don't know about cell service for my watch. Love my OG Urbane, but because of how it works WITH my phone.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I kind of wish I had gotten this than the Moto 360 Sport, but the Urbane was recalled and I just didn't want to pay $5 a month for LTE service (Gear S2) I didn't need.

Still have not figured out how to get music on my 360 Sport...seems a Google Music update at one point may have broken that feature. That was part of my plan to leave my phone at home when working out, but I can't get any music on my watch to do that!!!!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I still don't know about cell service for my watch. Love my OG Urbane, but because of how it works WITH my phone.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Imagine you're out on your new battery powered skateboard and in your joyful hurry to try it out you leave your phone at home. The inevitable crash happens but being over 21 now the damage is to more than your ego this time . Being able to call 911 on your watch then text the wife to let her know you'll be a bit late for dinner? Priceless.
In all seriousness I don't use my watch as a phone that often but it's a nice bit of comfort to know if I forget to do the mental checklist before leaving the house (keys, wallet, smokes, lighter, phone, etc) I can tell ya it is a peace of mind to have . I think I've shared on this forum a few instances of using it as a phone because I either intentionally or accidentally forgot my phone.
Again, it's not for everyone, especially because of the extra fee per month and I never thought I'd want a standalone device either until AT&T made me such a great offer when I got it. I figured I'd never use it standalone, as a phone or otherwise, but it has been nice.
Now that someone other than Samsung and an os other than Tizen has the ability I don't feel so limited in my future choices anymore either.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm not saying that it might not come in handy once in a blue moon. For me, it boils down to, like you said, not seeming like it's worth that extra cost each month. We've got a new baby on the way, so anywhere I can pinch pennies each month is a good idea.

I can't remember the last time I forgot my phone. Aside from the fact that I like being connected, I'm also on-call for work 24/7 since I'm the only IT guy. That's a good enough reason for me to always have the phone with me, even if I'm in spotty coverage zones.

Also, to your point about the electric skateboard, you know I'm gonna make a YT video of my initial trial/impressions. My phone is my camera for those projects these days, so you can be sure it'll be with me, along with my tripod. ;)