LG Vying For The Next Nexus

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
lgnexus.jpeg

LG, in it's bid to become a larger presence in the smartphone market, is positioning itself to be the manufacturer of the next Nexus device from Google Inc. Ramchan Woo, head of LG's Smartphone division, told CNET "We're having discussions. We're working on it." Through the years the Nexus moniker has carried with it a level of prestige. It is the phone to own if you want updates yesterday and suport through your entire contract and beyond. There are a lot of concerns that Motorola will automatically be given carte blanche to all of Google's updates first, and if LG secures this contract, it will alleviate a lot of the manufacturers concerns. Ramchen warns that there have been no commitments as of yet, and there has been no mention of which version of Android LG is looking to build their equipment on.

Would you be interested in a LG branded Nexus?

Source. CNET

Last edited by a moderator:

Tillmorn

Reaction score
Technically, LG producing the next Nexus would not be a bad thing, as Google controls the quality of the device and what not. However, I've yet to be impressed by any LG Android device and while I would love to see a Moto Nexus, I'd much rather see the next Nexus bid go to HTC over LG if manufacturers are that worried about the acquisition of Moto.

npro1464

Reaction score
I'll never forgive LG after getting fooled into buying a enV Touch and having that pos of a phone for a year and a half.

Please just put it out through Motorola and let us get a Nexus with that build quality we all long for. Or, let Samsung do it again.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LG phones have never really done much for me. will have to see what its latest offerings do, and whether it is serious about Andy.

i tend to believe that, no matter what, the next Nexus will NOT be by Moto. i think Google is going to make sure, for relations/perception purposes, that the next Nexus is by someone other than Moto, to "prove" that Google won't be playing favorites. however, i fully expect the 2013 Nexus to be a Moto phone. and that will be just fine with me, since i have the GNex, and will be due to upgrade in 2013... :)

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I think we can mostly trust Google to make a great Nexus no matter who does the hardware. I'm not to worried about it!

loki993

Reaction score
i tend to believe that, no matter what, the next Nexus will NOT be by Moto. i think Google is going to make sure, for relations/perception purposes, that the next Nexus is by someone other than Moto, to "prove" that Google won't be playing favorites. however, i fully expect the 2013 Nexus to be a Moto phone. and that will be just fine with me, since i have the GNex, and will be due to upgrade in 2013... :)

Why would the next Nexus not be a Moto? Who cares about playing favorites Google owns Moto, it would make perfect sense that the next Nexus would be a Moto and honestly be kinda silly if it wasnt.

Last edited:

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why would the next Nexus not be a Moto? Who cares about playing favorites Google owns Moto, it would make perfect sense that the next Nexus would be a Moto and honestly be kinda silly if it wasnt.

the reason would be that, when Google announced it was acquiring Moto, HTC and some of the other Andy OEMs expressed concern over Moto devices being given a competitive edge. Google was very quick to say that Moto would not get any preferential treatment over its other Andy licensees, but that Moto would be operated as a separate, distinct corporation. the other OEMs expressed their hope that this would be true, but indicated that Google's conduct would be the proof in the pudding. i can't think of a better way for Google to "prove" that it's living up to its word, and appease/assuage its licensees, than to award Google's one-time-a-year-flagship-OS-showcasing device to someone other than Moto.

Google wants to ensure continued increase in OS market share. a good way to do that is to ensure that there are a bunch of devices out there, from different OEMs, running Andy. if Google starts playing favorites to Moto, that will scare HTC, Sammy, etc, and they could start putting out Windows phones or what have you. Google doesn't want that to happen.

loki993

Reaction score
the reason would be that, when Google announced it was acquiring Moto, HTC and some of the other Andy OEMs expressed concern over Moto devices being given a competitive edge. Google was very quick to say that Moto would not get any preferential treatment over its other Andy licensees, but that Moto would be operated as a separate, distinct corporation. the other OEMs expressed their hope that this would be true, but indicated that Google's conduct would be the proof in the pudding. i can't think of a better way for Google to "prove" that it's living up to its word, and appease/assuage its licensees, than to award Google's one-time-a-year-flagship-OS-showcasing device to someone other than Moto.

Google wants to ensure continued increase in OS market share. a good way to do that is to ensure that there are a bunch of devices out there, from different OEMs, running Andy. if Google starts playing favorites to Moto, that will scare HTC, Sammy, etc, and they could start putting out Windows phones or what have you. Google doesn't want that to happen.

I can see your point, but I would also think you buy a company that makes phones so you can actually use their phones. However they want to do it though.

Last edited:

Big Cam

Reaction score
OMG, if Google is stupid enough to choose LG then they deserve the failure that is about to happen.

Anyone remember a little Gem known as the LG Revolution? Plagued with random freezes that required a full hard reset each time to restart it, then when they finally got Gingerbread on the device it randomly rebooted just as often although it actually turned back on this time.

Looks like I need to get my hands on a Galaxy S III, **** the next LGexus

mcjonesy

Reaction score
If the next Nexus has the Spectrum's screen (or maybe an improved version of it?), I'll take two.

Sent from my AXI0M [R]AZR MAXX.

Escobar

Reaction score
LG used to be the ****. First enV and the Voyager were revolutionary and worked great. My mom had the enV for four years. I had my voyager 3. Since then, things have gone pretty far downhill. Give it to HTC, see what they can do with it.

Sent from my HTC REZOUND using DroidForums