LG Trumps Samsung? Announces Eye Tracking SW ‘value pack’ for Optimus G Pro

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
opt-g-pro-multi-colors-front-back.png

Could it be that LG just trumped Samsung on their big Galaxy launch day? Besides the humorous billboard ad we shared earlier, LG also announced they will have a new "Value Pack" update for their Optimus G Pro flagship that will include their own eye-tracking software. This value pack also includes some other intriguing features, here's a quote with the details,

Smart Video is the Optimus G Pro’s new feature, to be unveiled soon, that will eliminate the use of user physical interaction with the device while viewing video. To quote LG: “Smart Video recognizes the position of the viewer’s eyes and automatically plays or stops the video without any manual input from the user”.

Using the front-facing camera the software will detect whether the user’s eyes are aimed at the display, automatically pausing when you look away (and resuming when you look back).

Not as exciting, but still part of the announcement, is the Dual Camera functionality which will snap pictures simultaneously using both the front and back cameras; users will be able to share a picture-in-picture still. Also in will be an option to customize Smart LED Lighting (surrounding the home button) for different colors.

You have to hand it to LG for trying to create their own hype machine by piggy-backing off of Samsung's own PR monster. Is it a bit trollish? Probably, but if it ends up being effective then it will still turn into a good strategy. Plus, if Samsung can poke fun at Apple, then there's no reason LG can't poke a little fun at Samsung.

Source: PocketNow

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I still think eye-tracking has to be a HUGE battery drain. Even if on only when the screen is on, I assume they are doing this thru the front facing camera. Just seems like a lot of resources and CPU power to do that.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I still think eye-tracking has to be a HUGE battery drain. Even if on only when the screen is on, I assume they are doing this thru the front facing camera. Just seems like a lot of resources and CPU power to do that.

I think eye tracking is a huge BFD. Seriously, I just don't see the point in it. Before a phone goes to sleep, the screen dims a bit. Is it really so hard to touch the screen to not let it go asleep? I dunno, it all just seem so meh of a feature.

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
The picture-in-picture feature sounds kinda neat.