LG Teasing More Crazy Modules For The G5

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
CeclIppWsAIOVcm.jpg:large

LG has really distinguished themselves among the pack with the modular design of the LG G5. The removable battery is awesome, but the modular design can offer much more. LG already has a camera+battery add on, VR add on, and 360 camera add on.

They also just teased a whole list of crazy add ons! Among the list includes a Game Controller module, Projector module, photo printer module, qwerty keyboard module, healthcare module, credit card reader module, large capacity battery module, action cam module, SSD module, and Speaker Module. A few of those actually make since, but lets be real a few of those are more than likely vapor wear.

via LG Mobile

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I applaud the ability to customize but this is the start of more fragmentation - this time hardware fragmentation. Instead of creating standards like project ARA was looking to do, making it simple for the gamut of manufacturers to make modules, this will be a microcosm of devices (at least initially). This is no different in my mind than the unique charging ports on the Apple phones, making all aftermarket accessories ONLY compatible with Apple phones.

There are lots of really neat aftermarket accessories for the Apple phones that I would love to attach to my phone however I can't. This means I don't buy them and not only do I not get to benefit from those accessories but the manufacturer of them also does not get to benefit from the potential revenue from me.

Not being interchangeable (i.e. Samsung Gear watches and Gear VR), it actually hurts the consumer IMHO. I didn't buy the Gear watches or the Gear VR simply because I don't own (and don't want), a Samsung phone, and may not want an LG either however I WOULD have purchased either or both if they were compatible with other phones, such as my Droid Turbo/Turbo 2.

And for some recent news on ARA... Google's Project Ara smartphone project shows signs of life

Project Ara

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Only time will tell, but I think this phone will die a quick death. Modular design is a cool idea, but LG will need to adopt it throughout their device ecosystem. One device can't change the market.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This reminds me more and more of the Versa, LGs follow up to the Dare. Now in its defense, Verizon marketed it even less than the HTC Rezound we all remember got 1 crappy commercial at Christmas time as well as it came about around the time the market switched from dumbphone to smartphone as the genre to push.
Perhaps marketing will help the G5 modules do better but I still don't think the market is ready for modules. We're still too content with a do all device without add ons.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

nickb34

Reaction score
My only gripe about this whole thing is that the engineers couldn't have been bothered with giving the G5 really small internal battery in order to make these devices hot-swappable.