LG Teaser Video for the New Optimus VU with 5-Inch 4:3 Display

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;pinvuidqgDw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pinvuidqgDw[/video]​

Here's an unusual new device. LG released a teaser video for a new Phablet-Phone, called the Optimus VU. This is a 5-inch Android smartphone, but what is particularly odd about it is that it uses the old school 4:3 aspect ratio for its screen, and is closer to a square shape, than a portrait shape. We've included the teaser video above for you to get a look at, but the pic below gives a better view of this strange device.

optimussketch.jpg

It actually has some decent specs to go with the screen:
  • 1.5GHz Qualcomm APQ8060 SoC Dual-Core Chip
  • 1GB RAM
  • 8GB ROM
  • NFC
  • Eight megapixel camera
  • Android 2.3
The screen in the pic shows a "February 21st" date, which could be a hint at its launch date. The device may only end up in Korea, but there is nothing specific to confirm that. Sound off what you think of this "almost-square" device.

Source: Engadget

BigZig

Reaction score
This probably will not come to the U.S (i dont have any insider info on this it is just my opinion) but it looks like the phone has the capability of having a larger screen. I do not like the way there is so much unused space on the front of the phone. I would not buy this phone if it did come to the U.S. the way it sits in this picture.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It is definitely an odd design, and the 4:3 aspect ratio and waste real-estate has us scratching our heads too.