LG Takes it Over the Top and Pokes Fun of Samsung with Times Square Billboard

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lg-optimus-g-times-square-goading-samsung.jpg

LG is taking a que from Samsung and poking fun at them with their own advertising strategy. Samsung's big reveal will be this evening at 6PM CT, but LG decided to steal a bit of their thunder by "one-upping" Samsung with a huge billboard ad in Times Square. Just like Samsung used to poke fun at Apple, now LG is poking fun at Samsung by using a similar ad. As you can see, LG's ad points out that their LG Optimus G Pro is already "here 4 you now" obviously goading Samsung by taking the look of Samsung's own current ad.

It's definitely very cheeky, but you can't really blame LG, and perhaps they even deserve some kudos for boldness. We aren't sure it will make much of a difference in the long run, but it's certainly better than just doing nothing. Will LG become the next big smartphone manufacturer to see success with Android?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
So, LG is doing to Samsung what Samsung did to Apple last year.

Interesting. Hopefully this will make LGs stuff better.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I don't find it humorous or clever. But hey, not everyone has 10 billion for an advertising budget.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I think advertising as a whole is a joke, I don't need a billboard to tell me something is coming out. I like it when companies poke fun at each other though, good to see the millions they have to waste in PR wars.

Should invest those millions in making better stuff.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Considering the coverage they got for this, I'd call that a pretty good return on their advertising dollar.

The name of the game is advertising. I think a lot of people are heavily influenced by it and don't even realize it.

Reaction score
Lg phones can't really top Samsung since they are always ahead of the game. Plus they never really update the os on their devices

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought this was absolutely hilarious. :D

Go LG!

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Got us to talk about it, I'd say they got their exposure. Good job LG marketing team.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
pretty amusing, and for those of you who don't think it's amusing it still did it's job, got you to talk about them...

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
It's a welcome change to be hearing about LG vs Samsung instead of (you know who) vs Samsung. :crazy: