LG Spectrum: Another HIgh-End VZW Device to Make Your Choices this Winter Harder

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LG-Spectrum-Revolution-2 .jpg

Now that Motorola, with the RAZR (and maybe the Droid 4), Samsung, with the Galaxy Nexus, and HTC, with the Rezound, have all thrown their winter shopping gauntlets down for high-end smartphones, LG is joining the fray as well. The LG Spectrum, formerly known as the Revolution 2, may be coming forward before the holidays, or a little after, to make our purchasing decisions even harder. Here are some new pics of the phone above, as well as some specs below:
  • 1.5GHz dual-core processor
  • 720p HD resolution
  • HD-capable eight-megapixel camera
  • 4G LTE
  • Gingerbread (at first)
What do you folks think? I know most of us are holding out for the Galaxy Nexus, but I am sure there are some LG fans out there that might be attracted to this device...

Source: PocketNow

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think depending on price, LG is going to struggle to sell many of these phones. It's going to have to be priced well under the RAZR and Galaxy Nexus.

braveone772

Reaction score
To be honest...I'm extremely underwhelmed by the Nexus. 5MP Camera... Non Upgradeable Memory... Right now...even tho it doesn't have ICS currently... The Rezound is the best spec'd phone for Verizon. 1.5 Ghz Dual Core Processor, 8MP Camera, 2MP Front Face, Beats Audio Processor, Beats Audio Headphones, 16GB Internal, 16GB SD Card(upgradeable to 32)... The only thing I don't like is the HTC Sense UI. Not interested in that...but then again, I can install other launchers, and once the hacking community gets up to speed, that can be changed a lot.

This new one by LG will be interesting, but unless it goes out at the $200 price point...it's not gonna sell well. I am a premium retailer for Verizon currently, and people already bawk at the $300 price point of the Razr and Rezound.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Heard very nice things about the screen. Supposed to be a good mix between Amoled and LCD. Might check this out too. Was correct in saying another high end device to make your choice this winter harder. I think I need a raise...just to keep up with my tech addiction.

Last edited:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
To be honest...I'm extremely underwhelmed by the Nexus. 5MP Camera... Non Upgradeable Memory... Right now...even tho it doesn't have ICS currently... The Rezound is the best spec'd phone for Verizon. 1.5 Ghz Dual Core Processor, 8MP Camera, 2MP Front Face, Beats Audio Processor, Beats Audio Headphones, 16GB Internal, 16GB SD Card(upgradeable to 32)... The only thing I don't like is the HTC Sense UI. Not interested in that...but then again, I can install other launchers, and once the hacking community gets up to speed, that can be changed a lot.

This new one by LG will be interesting, but unless it goes out at the $200 price point...it's not gonna sell well. I am a premium retailer for Verizon currently, and people already bawk at the $300 price point of the Razr and Rezound.

My DroidX has an 8MP camera and can't do as well as the iPhone's 5MP camera and I doubt will do as well as the Nexus' 5MP camera. Just because its a higher MP doesn't mean its better. It could have crap optics or a crap sensor. I don't shoot pictures on my phone to hang them up as a 4x8 poster, I want them on my computer or an occasional 5x7 print. The zero shutter lag is impressive as well as the low light conditions it can shoot in well.

Vakharn

Reaction score
I will be curious to see what SOC is in this phone, as well as what the screen size is, and whether it's a pentile matrix or not. The camera's performance will also big a big factor for me. All in all there's a lot of things I'm not entirely satisfied with about the nexus, and another similar phone just over the horizon with the potential to make better on a few of them is tempting.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I will be curious to see what SOC is in this phone, as well as what the screen size is, and whether it's a pentile matrix or not. The camera's performance will also big a big factor for me. All in all there's a lot of things I'm not entirely satisfied with about the nexus, and another similar phone just over the horizon with the potential to make better on a few of them is tempting.

I would bet it is the Qualcomm since the Nitro HD has a Qualcomm in it. You can find in depth reviews of the Nitro HD (an AT&T device) if you were more interested in it, apparently the screen on it is nice.

Random personal gripe, I really dislike doors on the ports, I understand the purpose...but I really hated them on phones I had back in the day. I actually would break them off or cut them off eventually. Overall they seem unnecessary as most phones don't have them and manage to work properly.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Those specs make it worth a look (especially if it has 48gigs of storage, which matters to me traveling a lot w/o wifi and sometimes intermittent 3G data), but agreed a top-end "camera" is something most Android mfrs have really undervalued.

Good processor, probably a really good screen. Definitely a competitor. But I have no idea of what the call quality will be like with LG phones (which still must trump all).

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
To be honest...I'm extremely underwhelmed by the Nexus. 5MP Camera...
And why do you need more than a 5MP camera on a phone? The camera is extremely fast and can do panaramic shots. Don't judge a camera by its megapixels.
Non Upgradeable Memory...
I've had my Droid since it was released with a 16GB card. In the two years I've had it, 13.6GB are free. Just how much space do you need?
Right now...even tho it doesn't have ICS currently... The Rezound is the best spec'd phone for Verizon.
Have to disagree.
1.5 Ghz Dual Core Processor,
A paltry 300MHz difference in speed.
8MP Camera, 2MP Front Face,
Megapixels aren't everything. Unless you plan on printing banners from you phone.
Beats Audio Processor, Beats Audio Headphones,
Not a terribly important feature. There are still dedicated MP3 platers out there that will sound better. It is after all, an iPod world.
16GB Internal, 16GB SD Card(upgradeable to 32)...
The Nexus comes with 32GB of storage. I can't conceive of filling 32GB on my phone. You can get an extra 16GB on the HTC. Huzzah.
The only thing I don't like is the HTC Sense UI. Not interested in that...
Have to agree with you there. I played with my buddy's HTC phone and was totally put off by the skin. My droid was so much easier to use and navigate with.
but then again, I can install other launchers, and once the hacking community gets up to speed, that can be changed a lot.
And that is the great thing about Android. If you are so inclined to root and fiddle, you can do so to your heart's content. But for the most of us that don't mess with our phones, and Nexus comes as close to a pure Google experience that we need not hack for.

LG has an up hill battle in front of it. It will have to come out with some spectacular hardware at a low, low price in order to compete.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
This is a nice device. Problem is it's LG.

LG has yet to prove to anyone here in the USA (IMO) that it can maintain a decent android handset.

I look at the phones LG released this year and they had the potential to be big hits. The G2X was stock android with a dual core CPU and the Thrill is no slouch either. But where are they? You never hear anything about them and they seem to just... drift away.