LG Rumored to be Working on 'G Pay' Mobile Payment Service

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LG-logo-metallic.jpg

Is this a "big fish follows little fish" kind of thing? The latest rumors from Korea suggest that LG is working on their own mobile payment system to rival Samsung Pay and Apple Pay (and Android Pay, etc). It will apprarently be called, LG G Pay, and it could use similar technology to what Samsung uses in Samsung Pay.

This suggests that G Pay will be designed to be used with existing magnetic strip readers just as Samsung Pay is. This setup obviously offers perks over the Apple Pay system which requires retailers to sign agreements and work out deals with Apple. Despite that, it still seems like the typical "me too" that is characteristic of LG following in Samsung's footsteps.

Maybe LG can figure out a way to make it even easier than Samsung Pay, but we wouldn't hold our breath expecting that...

Source: AndroidAuthority

Powarun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Ummmm, how about no. I understand that every company wants to grab money at every attempt and ripping off one another only helps, but it needs to stop. In my experience with these gimmicks is that the company does it for 2 years tops, if it doesn't make money support is dropped and interest is lost.

JDH

Reaction score
I seem to be doing just fine sliding my credit card through the little thingy at the checkout. Just one more step in the process for potential attack. Add this to the list of things we can live without $

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I seem to be doing just fine sliding my credit card through the little thingy at the checkout. Just one more step in the process for potential attack. Add this to the list of things we can live without $

Early on when pay (correction Google wallet) first came on the scene with the galaxy nexus it was not ready for prime time. For one there were very little places that used it (mcd'd and gas stations), two you had to unlock the phone, unlock the app, use a pin, select the card, spend 5 minutes trying to wave your phone the right way, meanwhile the people behind you are angry and think you are a tool because you are holding up the line.

Now you literally can swipe from any screen (example: I'll be looking up sports scores in subway while I wait to pay, I can then just touch my phone and it will ask me for my 4 digit pin and done).

Wireless pay can be a good tool especially if they manage to incorporate it for events. When you are at a major event with a lot of people you probably have enough in your hands with a cold one, your phones, and memorabilia. I have seen on several occasions where people have dropped their wallet doing multiple things thinking they put it back in their pocket. Yeah I know people should pay more attention and spend an extra 3 seconds to make sure their wallet is all the way in their pocket before continuing on. But real world is it happens and I know on a few occasions it happened to me. Thankfully I either caught it or the dude behind me was honest enough to point it out.

When I am at the movies (or out and about) it is just so much easier to have paid in advance with my fandango app, use my phone to buy popcorn, and go about my way without reaching in my pocket.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I agree with the others....we don't need another manufacturer with a pay system. Heck, I don't even think Samsung needed to. Android's pay system is enough.