LG Revolution ROOTED

Zecpull

Reaction score
I heard Amazon is having a Major Sale on Monday. I am almost Tempted to take my Droid X2 back and get the Revolution. I am not happy with the way Moto,,,seems to be so stuck on adding Crapware.. I love my Moto phones.. But I was all LG before the Droids. I never had better battery life than with an LG phone

stetsonaw

Beta Team/Marty McFly
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
where did you get the drivers from? I installed mine via plugging phone into computer, selecting charge only, then Auto Play came up thinking it was a CD Drive, with the LG Bootstrapper.exe or whatev... install that if you didn't already.

To access adb mode, connect to your computer in Internet Connection mode, and make sure USB Debugging is turned on in settings/apps/development. Then you should have the ADB ladybug appear.

The root coding out right now is all unconfirmed for Windows (from what i've found anyway). Everything out there so far is users who did it through Linux. Tonight after midnight central i'll be working on it again, have some new things to try. If you try to use the code from rootzwiki on windows, you will be able to push and run the exploit, but will be unable to push the su binary into system/bin.

Hit me on GTalk, stetson.andy if you want to work with me on it tonight, or be made aware of the entire process, as its a bit more code for windows.

stetsonaw

Beta Team/Marty McFly
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I heard Amazon is having a Major Sale on Monday. I am almost Tempted to take my Droid X2 back and get the Revolution. I am not happy with the way Moto,,,seems to be so stuck on adding Crapware.. I love my Moto phones.. But I was all LG before the Droids. I never had better battery life than with an LG phone

The batt life on this is much better than on my D2 (which was about the same as reg DX's out there)... just be aware, the Revo is binged out, but with a little root and Titanium Backup freezing, bing goes away. and their crapware isn't too bad either, couple trial games, some finance thing and such. but their UI doesn't weigh the phone down at all. DX2 and the Revo are within 10 of each other on quadrant scores (DX2 averaged 1865, Revo averaged 1855), which says something because the dx2 as you know is dual core, and the revo is only a single core.

EDIT: and the screen IMO is better on the Revo, since it's TFT, it's just more clear. I've read of people talking about blacks not being as black and whites not being as bright, i don't notice it, and you can't easily see the pixels like you can on the DX2.

thebum2323

Reaction score
I've been doing an ongoing battery test throughout today...

Battery life:

Thunderbolt dropped to like 60% after being in standby for two hours (from full charge)

Revo: From full charge, unplugged (noon) an put in standby for two hours, 95% (1400)
Grabbed it, downloaded about 10 apps from my dropbox (over 3G), installed them all, set up accounts, tested, after 13 minutes, dropped to 88%. Just remember, this is pretty resource and data intensive stuff, so it will drain it a bit. But all in all, seems pretty good. More later.

Picked up phone 2 hours later (1600), did more tinkering like above, phone down to 80%

1800ish - Drove around for about 30 minutes with phone on dash mount, auto brightness, music streaming over bluetooth, not plugged in of course, and a reboot thrown in there (Manual reboot just to throw that in, not caused by phone at all) - 67%

Will report back when I check it again at 2000ish. Phone status is:
Standby
Bluetooth on (has been all day)
Data on
WiFi on but not connected.

So it's pretty awesome.

How did the testing go and do you know if the bootloader is locked? Also how is the tethering on a non-verizon mobile hotspot app on the device?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
If Microsoft locked my computer so I was stuck with bing and Internet explorer I would run to buy a Mac so fast it's stupid. How Google and the phone makers are getting away with this I don't know?

Or keep your computer and install Linux on it.

stetsonaw

Beta Team/Marty McFly
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Got root using windows, just trying to figure out why my screenshots are purple with ShootMe, and Red with drocap2... will post link to instructions when I get done tinkering. And the bootloader is UNlocked. The Kernel Image is not signed, verified by _mrbirdman_, the guy to got us root on it in the first place.

thebum2323

Reaction score
Got root using windows, just trying to figure out why my screenshots are purple with ShootMe, and Red with drocap2... will post link to instructions when I get done tinkering. And the bootloader is UNlocked. The Kernel Image is not signed, verified by _mrbirdman_, the guy to got us root on it in the first place.

Thank God.. now we just need a xda developer thread so everybody knows and will pursue trying to make custom roms for it as a whole

stetsonaw

Beta Team/Marty McFly
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Need recovery first...

Remember, I am not at fault if you brick your phone, now, proceed.

I updated the Rootzwiki page with the same info found below.

Busybox actually comes installed by LG on the Revo, how awesome is that??

Download the rageagainstthecage binary
Download the SU binary
Move these files to the same directory your adb.exe is in.

Open Command prompt (either use the Windows Key+R and type cmd or start/run, then type cmd)
32-bit users: >cd c:\program files\android\android-sdk\platform-tools
64-bit users: >cd c:\program files (x86)\android\android-sdk\platform-tools
Or >cd (whatever directory adb is in)

>adb devices (verifies you are connected)
>adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/temp/rage
(if the above command fails due to read-only, type 'adb usb' then 'adb root' to validate root status, then 'adb devices' again to verify connection)
>adb push su /data/local/temp/su
>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/temp/rage
>adb shell ./data/local/temp/rage
>adb shell (If this gives you a $ prompt instead of a # prompt, type 'su', if that fails, 'exit', 'adb usb' like above.)
#mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/mmcblk0p12 /system
#busybox cp /data/local/temp/su /system/bin/su
#chmod 6755 /system/bin/su

Verify the file is in place w/correct permissions

#cd /system/bin
#ls -l *su
-rwsr-sr-x root root 26248 2011-05-29 01:09 su
(permissions name access filesize date time filename)

At this point, you may way to remove the files you put in /data/local/temp (optional):
#rm /data/local/temp/su
#rm /data/local/temp/rage

continue with commands
#reboot

Download and install SuperUser from the Market

Thanks Zennmaster, _mrbirdman_ for finding the linux routes and birdman for helping me out!

Last edited:

stetsonaw

Beta Team/Marty McFly
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
yeaaaaah, birdman made a recovery, pushed it, hard brick. VZ replaced it. I don't see that happening often, lol... We shall wait on ClockworkMod/Koush to come up with something.

CutterStark

Reaction score
I purchased the LG Revolution Friday. I've tried all the adb push instructions I can find and continue to get a mysterious permission denied. No matter what I do, I am able to connect and to push the rage and su files, but am unable to chmod any directory. Help???

stetsonaw

Beta Team/Marty McFly
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
So just to clarify, you did he instructions in post #23?

EDIT: Found an error in the above post, fixed now... it had SU replacing the rage binary in the temp folder.

Last edited:

stetsonaw

Beta Team/Marty McFly
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Cutter, posted this on rootzwiki as well, don't know if you are subscribing there, so posting here.

can you post a screenshot of your command prompt when you get the error? And the reason you cannot verify root is because your permission on the SU file is wrong.

adb shell (if you have the $ and su doesn't get you the #, exit shell and type 'adb usb')
#mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/mmcblk0p12 /system (make sure you have the spaces in the right places)
#cd /system/bin
#chmod 6755 su
#ls -l su

you are looking for: -rwsr-sr-x root root 26248 2011-05-29 01:09 su Yours is -rwxr-xr-x, those are the wrong permissions, which is why you can't verify root. I had the same problem last night when i had the permissions set wrong.

CutterStark

Reaction score
stetsonaw-

Success! Thank you!. I'm not a unix/linux user so I missed the different permissions the first time around. The revised remount line worked fine. I was doing this before, but I did have to consistently restart adb in usb mode, adb started on port 5037. Before I couldn't get past the permission denied for the SU push. Running the rage file worked sometimes and not others, not sure why, would often get stuck at a # prompt either frozen or with no effect when I typed in commands, other times would get a positive response. I also wasn't sure how to kill the adb process except through the task manager, where it was often running twice.

Thanks again, what a relief. Now to get my root apps back on

stetsonaw

Beta Team/Marty McFly
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
part of your problem with running the rage binary was my sleep deprivation when i posted and had the su replacing the rage file. Glad you got it though!!