1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

LG Revolution ROOTED

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Malvado, May 27, 2011.

1. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

[​IMG]

That was easy. While other manufacturers are busy foiling the exploits of modders and hackers everywhere, LG left their brand-new 4G LTE handset wide open to established root methods, leading to the phone being broken wide open by the folks over at RootzWiki just a day after release. The rageagainstthecage method was all that was needed to easily crack the code and gain super-user access, a necessary first step to ridding the device of all that carrier bloatware (Bing)

SOURCE: LG Revolution - RootzWiki
  2. gmorgan056

gmorgan056 New Member

If that's the case, maybe this would be worth getting over the Droid Charge...hmmm...:dry:
  3. wesdo2gg

wesdo2gg New Member

They shipped it pretty much wide open huh...
  4. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

has there been any android phone that hasn't been rooted? haha...i fail to see why gaining root is such a big deal. no matter how locked down a phone is, you'll always have root.
  5. jkhonea

jkhonea Super Moderator

To my knowledge, they still have yet to achieve permanent root on the Incredible 2.
  6. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

very interesting, did not know that :)
  7. Hardattack

Hardattack New Member

It's sad to void the warranty on a new phone to remove crap you don't want and make it run like it should to begin with. Un removable apps have lost me for a customer.

If Microsoft locked my computer so I was stuck with bing and Internet explorer I would run to buy a Mac so fast it's stupid. How Google and the phone makers are getting away with this I don't know?
  8. audioxtc85

audioxtc85 New Member

Got a chance to play with with this phone today. I must say it is pretty smooth even with the bing and "crapware". Reminds me of touchwiz but a little more polished. Might pay full price for this one to hop on that unlimited LTE bandwagon. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  9. DaWolf85

DaWolf85 New Member

I would be willing to bet this is the result of some dispute between Google and LG, since Google uses Google Apps as basically a bargaining chip to get themselves whatever they want from the OEMs.
  10. WillFCDroid

WillFCDroid New Member

This is a really nice phone!

I got mine yesterday, and so far, this phone is awesome. To be honest, the crapware is hardly an issue with this phone. There is so much storage space in this thing, that it doesn't even make a dent. It's got a 16GB internal sd card, a 16GB external sd card, and the DiskUsage app reports 1511 MiB (1.5GB) of internal memory. Seems a little confusing, and the numbers don't sound accurate to me, but the salesman at Verizon told me that it had two 16GB sd cards, and DiskUsage at least confirms that there are two storage cards.

DiskUsage reports the following:

App Storage ........1511 MiB .... this contains the internally installed apps, 140.5mb for system data, and I still have 833 mb of space. This is with a total of 153 apps, including the bloatware.

/mnt/extsecure/extasec ...... shows as empty

/mnt/sdcard as having 12300 MiB, but the card is listed as 16GB - general storage

/mnt/sdcard/_ExternalSD as having 15188 MiB (roughly 15GB) - this is for apps to sd

The other thing that I like is that the LG UI is very close to stock Android, but with a few modifications, that I feel actually make the phone more enjoyable. I haven't even set up launcher pro yet. I like the stock launcher just fine. It's kind of neat. I really like that you can organize your apps in the app drawer into categories, and then arrange them how you like. You can even put all the bloatware into one category, drag the category to the bottom, and collapse it, so you never even see the VZ stuff.

The Bing junk is easy enough the get out of your way. I got all the Google stuff from the market, set my home page as Google in the stock browser, and haven't seen Bing since.

The battery life is pretty good considering that I've been playing with it all day. I got about 6 hours before it was down to 19%, and that was with about 30 minutes of netflix, browsing, checking emails, a couple of phone calls, etc. I returned the Thunderbolt after a week, but I had a feeling that I would on the first day. This phone has been rock solid so far, and the thought hasn't crossed my mind.

One more thing, the screen is beautiful! It's so bright, that you can read it just fine in direct afternoon sunlight. The screen is also very sharp. I am loving this phone!
  11. Droid101

Droid101 Member

The charge has been rooted and already has a custom ROM out even on ED2.
  12. mountaineerndixie

mountaineerndixie New Member

Unfortunately it's true. It's a shame because it is an awesome handset.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  13. billyk

billyk New Member

GREAT to hear! Having the option to root is just another bonus.

The #1 priority for me is avoiding the tiered data plans. I think the LG would be my choice as well from the current crop.

Let us know how your battery life turns out to be after a few days.
  14. stetsonaw

stetsonaw Beta Team/Marty McFly Theme Developer Premium Member

I've been doing an ongoing battery test throughout today...

Battery life:

Thunderbolt dropped to like 60% after being in standby for two hours (from full charge)

Revo: From full charge, unplugged (noon) an put in standby for two hours, 95% (1400)
    Grabbed it, downloaded about 10 apps from my dropbox (over 3G), installed them all, set up accounts, tested, after 13 minutes, dropped to 88%. Just remember, this is pretty resource and data intensive stuff, so it will drain it a bit. But all in all, seems pretty good. More later.

Picked up phone 2 hours later (1600), did more tinkering like above, phone down to 80%

1800ish - Drove around for about 30 minutes with phone on dash mount, auto brightness, music streaming over bluetooth, not plugged in of course, and a reboot thrown in there (Manual reboot just to throw that in, not caused by phone at all) - 67%

Will report back when I check it again at 2000ish. Phone status is:
    Standby
    Bluetooth on (has been all day)
    Data on
    WiFi on but not connected.

So it's pretty awesome.
  15. CutterStark

CutterStark New Member

Problems connecting Revolution to Computer via ADB

I've rooted my droid before, but am having trouble rooting the Revolution I bought yesterday. ADB in Android SDK doesn't see the device. I've uninstalled the drivers twice, but keep getting a windows malfunction error (Windows 7). ADB doesn't see any devices. Any advice?

[​IMG]
  16. Zecpull

Zecpull New Member

I heard Amazon is having a Major Sale on Monday. I am almost Tempted to take my Droid X2 back and get the Revolution. I am not happy with the way Moto,,,seems to be so stuck on adding Crapware.. I love my Moto phones.. But I was all LG before the Droids. I never had better battery life than with an LG phone
  17. stetsonaw

where did you get the drivers from? I installed mine via plugging phone into computer, selecting charge only, then Auto Play came up thinking it was a CD Drive, with the LG Bootstrapper.exe or whatev... install that if you didn't already.

To access adb mode, connect to your computer in Internet Connection mode, and make sure USB Debugging is turned on in settings/apps/development. Then you should have the ADB ladybug appear.

The root coding out right now is all unconfirmed for Windows (from what i've found anyway). Everything out there so far is users who did it through Linux. Tonight after midnight central i'll be working on it again, have some new things to try. If you try to use the code from rootzwiki on windows, you will be able to push and run the exploit, but will be unable to push the su binary into system/bin.

Hit me on GTalk, stetson.andy if you want to work with me on it tonight, or be made aware of the entire process, as its a bit more code for windows.
  18. stetsonaw

The batt life on this is much better than on my D2 (which was about the same as reg DX's out there)... just be aware, the Revo is binged out, but with a little root and Titanium Backup freezing, bing goes away. and their crapware isn't too bad either, couple trial games, some finance thing and such. but their UI doesn't weigh the phone down at all. DX2 and the Revo are within 10 of each other on quadrant scores (DX2 averaged 1865, Revo averaged 1855), which says something because the dx2 as you know is dual core, and the revo is only a single core.

EDIT: and the screen IMO is better on the Revo, since it's TFT, it's just more clear. I've read of people talking about blacks not being as black and whites not being as bright, i don't notice it, and you can't easily see the pixels like you can on the DX2.
  19. thebum2323

thebum2323 New Member

How did the testing go and do you know if the bootloader is locked? Also how is the tethering on a non-verizon mobile hotspot app on the device?
  20. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Or keep your computer and install Linux on it.
Search tags for this page

adb permission denied while running rage binary

failed on '/data/local/temp'- permission denied

root lg revolution su permission denied