LG Optimus Bringing 'New Dimension' to Mobile World Congress

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 25, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Next month brings us the Mobile World Congress, and with it a 'new dimension' in the LG Optimus 3D. At least, that's what the marketing hype machine indicates. Apparently, the '3D bug' has bitten the cell phone industry too, because reports indicate that 3D is exactly what LG means by this 'new dimension'. 3D phones were hinted at at CES this year and a few pressers got to check some out from a different brand. What do you guys think? Excited? Perhaps skeptical? Skeptical of its implementation or simply skeptical of its practical use?

Source: AndroidCentral
  2. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Well-Known Member

I don't get 3D. Even 3D movies at theaters are eh. I tried a new 3D TV at Best Buy last year. It was thoroughly unimpressive.
  3. moosez3

moosez3 New Member

the flyer doesnt say optimus 3D, maybe its figurative speaking? I hope so b/c 3D is just not advanced enough yet for a phone...
  4. gmorgan056

gmorgan056 New Member

3D is way overrated.
  5. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

+1

I see 3D stuff as a marketing gimmick and would assume it would look pretty crappy on a phone.
  6. Jaxidian

Jaxidian Team FreeMyMoto Premium Member Developer

Okay, so this will be a crappy release, but I think 3D will actually become very standard/common, even in phones and tablets, and this is a necessary step to get there! I feel a blog post coming on about this... ;-)
  7. Aram58

Aram58 New Member

The glasses free 3d technology is different then the 3d in movie theaters and not active shutter either. I'm sure none of you have personally seen this type of screen so don't hate it before you see it.

Also I'm pretty sure the 3d screen is mostly meant for viewing 3d pics not just because they wanted a 3d screen.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  8. Jaxidian

Jaxidian Team FreeMyMoto Premium Member Developer

As Aram58 says, glasses-free screens are the good stuff. The active shutter stuff will die a very quick and painful death by 2012.

Take a look at my blog post regarding phones and 3D screens. While most people tend to give it a pretty lack-luster response, I guarantee that will change in the not-too-distant future!

Portable Devices | Jaxidian Update
  9. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

I am the Director of Operations for a company that is heavily involved in Auto-Stereoscopic 3D. We have seen all the different technologies and while most are seriously sub par compared to what we expect from a home theater display...there are a few that are pretty amazing.

When we pitched the screens to a major sporting league (can't discuss which who as still in legal so under NDA) the first word out of their mouths after the demo was "Breathtaking!"

Unfortunately, even this technology which is one of the best available now, is not ready for consumer home theaters (IMO). As the technical requirements and installation process put this as a high-end only device that must be set up and serviced by a trained installer.

And none of the big guys are using this yet either, they spent too much on the stupid 3D with glasses and will not switch until they make their R&D back or are forced to by the market and competition. All the demos I have seen from the big guys are using Parallax technology...which is really bad as it only works from a very small viewing window and cannot put out 2D and 3D in equal resolution on the same device. And so far all of the phones/tablets I have read of are also using parallax right now as well.

What is worse, as with every new media format...every company wants their own version...so there is no industry standard.

While this is far more than a marketing push or gimmick...it is also not ready for BestBuy either. Although, I would argue the 3D with Glasses was not ready either...but the industry forced it because they were desperate for a new format and did not want to wait the extra two to three years that it took to get auto-stereoscopic displays on par with the displays with glasses.
  10. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

btw....

This is my favorite interpretation of active/passive shutter 3D...imagine walking into your den and seeing a bunch of people doing this. LMAO

11. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel Active Member

It's not like you have to use 3d. I don't see why people complain about it so much. Eventually almost everything will be 3d so you might as well get used to it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  12. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Hey, as long as technology keeps moving forward, I'm all for it.

Keep it coming.
  13. Aram58

Aram58 New Member

Anybody else remember seeing "zenon the 21st century girl" by disney. I never thought this stuff would happen but it already is

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  14. Anomander

Anomander New Member

Is this the same technology that Nintendo is going to use for the DS 3D? I think it has potential, but it all depends on what apps take advantage of it. Google Maps would be pretty damn cool though. :D
  15. Preach2k

Preach2k DF News Team Premium Member

Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    I do not need 3D on my phone!!! In my opinion this is crazy....