1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

LG-LW690 Update/Root help please

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Clouded, May 5, 2014.

1. Clouded

Clouded New Member

Hello I am a single mother with a problem, My husband recently left us all alone. I can no longer afford a second cell for my 12 year old son. He has been using my deactivated LG-LW690 with google voice and grooveip to make free calls from home and school in case of an emergency or if he just needs help with his homework. Now as i understand it google voice is changing on the 15th of this month, aand the only way to use the service after is with android 2.2.3. Is there any way someone could please advise me the proper course of action here? I dont know how to update or root a phone, but any help would be great appreciated.
  2. UltraDroid

UltraDroid DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum Clouded! :)

I'm not at all familiar with your phone, but if you can hang on for a bit, we'll get you some help. :)
  3. Clouded

Clouded New Member

Well i got a bit more info on my situation.. maybe it will help someone help me.

Anyways, the LG phone i have is a cricket version that doesn't support android 2.2.3... So i found out i would need to root the phone and update to android kitkat which as far as i understand is 2.2.3. Could someone possibly guide me thru the process or point me to a guide on rooting and updating my phone? Again any help is much needed/appreciated. I am running out of time to get this done :(
  4. Clouded

Clouded New Member

le sigh~ im obviously not going to get any assistance. Could a mod please close this useless thread? Thanks
  5. mslaceyrose

mslaceyrose Active Member

Hi, I know you mentioned needing a solution by the 15th, but if you haven't figured something out by now, I think this info someone just posted on one of this site's sister forums might be just what you need. (fingers crossed) I might not be understanding something correctly about your situation, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I can see, I don't think there'd be any need to root your son's phone in order to use this. How to make free VoIP calls on Android -- without Google | Computerworld Blogs

This is something new that GrooveIP is doing, along with another service, and from what I've read, it works on any Android phone. It doesn't say it requires root, nor does it specify that you have to be on a certain Android version.

As a side note, in case you don't like the new GrooveIP setup, Google is reportedly/supposedly/maybe (?) working toward making voice calls available through their 'Hangouts' app. So you might want to check on that.
    I really hope that helps you. Good luck. :)

By the way. The reason no one was able to offer a solution before is because any of the apps that we normally would have suggested would soon have been facing the same issue you ran into with your old solution, once Google began preventing other apps to tie in with it's network.
  6. Clouded

Clouded New Member

Thanks for taking the time to post, The above would work, however.. the ring.to app needs android 2.2.3 or higher. so without root and a custom rom nothing i can do.

However I have been looking into it more and more as i have free time and have come to a better understanding of what i need to do. I think my best option is to root with gingerbreak and use CM7 as my custom mod. Am i on the right track by chance? lol
  7. mslaceyrose

mslaceyrose Active Member

You're welcome. Ah, boo! That's a little misleading. Even GrooveIP's updated description says that it works with "any android phone." But if the service they partner with only works with certain OS versions, they should say that. :(

I don't know enough about your device or the CM7 ROM to give you specific advice regarding that, but I'm sure one or more of the expert modders on this site will tell you if you're headed in the right direction. It sounds like you've done your homework, so, you're probably right.

Please let us know how you make out with it. :)

Search tags for this page
grooveip support with google voice
how to hack a cricket phone for free service
latest note 2 update breaks root

lg-lw690 free cricket service hack