LG G5 Rumored to Have Metal Unibody Design

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lg-metal-case-smartphone.png

If the latest intel out of Korea is accurate, then LG may follow in the footsteps of Samsung with the LG G5. According to reports, the next-gen flagship from LG will come with an all-metal unibody design. Besides obviously following Samsung's latest trend with the Galaxy S6 series, LG's purpose in doing so would be to make sure the G5 has a truly "premium" feel.

According to multiple media outlets, even though they had high praise for the G4, it lacked that higher end premium feel. LG must think that will be how they can better compete with the Galaxy S series from Samsung. The question remains: if this is true, then will LG also adopt the non-removable battery design aesthetic that Samsung and Apple use, or will they be able to offer a premium, metal unibody device that still has a removable battery?

It seems unlikely, since the unibody design has traditional removed that possibility. Do you think LG could gain more customers for moving to a metal unibody design than it will lose customers because of the lack of a removable battery?

Discuss this topic and others at our dedicated LG G5 section here: LG G5 | Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: GforGames

eebvending

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S10+
They are currently gaining new customers by having the removable battery. This weekend 2 lines in this household went from S4 to G4 and the other from Note 3 to V10.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Meh... these nice premium metal bodies... the first thing you do is slap it into a case, so what's the point? You only see it when you first buy it, and when you sell it... LOL

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
LG listens to customers and most customers feel metal is better than plastic. I would expect a metal body from LG.

creaky

Reaction score
As long as I have a removable battery and SD card, sounds great.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I agree with @SquireSCA , metal/aluminum looks better but doesn't protect any better than plastic or polycarbonates. Especially without a case, they get dinged up and scratched much more easily. I still prefer polycarbonate or metal over a glass back. But mine go right into a case the same day, so it's not a problem either way.

S5 tap'n

RyanPm40

Reaction score
The leather back on my G4 feels plenty "premium" to me... The entire reason I got the damn phone was because of removable battery and SD, otherwise I would have gone for another Galaxy. Bad move if this is true.

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yeah, I always liked that look. Motos ballistic nylon is one of my favorites too. If only Sammy would steal the design...

S5 tap'n