LG G5 Leaked Image Suggests Battery That Replaces Like a Gun Magazine

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lg-g5-gun-clip-pic.jpg

We are skeptical about this one, but it's intriguing enough to get our attention. The above image is supposedly a rendering from leaked intel regarding the LG G5. Despite the thinness and overall aesthetic of the design, the most unusual thing of note is the unique way the battery is replaced.

As you can see from the image, the bottom of the phone pops off and the battery slides out, similar to the magazine of a semi-automatic handgun. If this is legit, it would be the most unique way we have ever seen to change a battery on a smartphone. Of course, we cannot attest to how useful or practical it will be, but there might be some advantages. The modularity of it reminds us a tiny bit of Google's Project Ara.

Finally, to go along with this leaked render, we have a few internal hardware details that were shared:
  • 5.3-inch QHD display - with a V10-like ticker display
  • Snapdragon 820 chipset
  • 16-megapixel/8-megapixel dual rear camera (this seems unusual as well)
What do you folks think? Could LG be pushing the envelope on smartphone innovation in new and crazy ways?

Here's our dedicated LG G5 section for further discussion: LG G5

Source: CNET Korea

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I could go with that. Now would we have to regi...... never mind I'll avoid that question.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hmmmm, I could go with that. Now would we have to regi...... never mind I'll avoid that question.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Only if it holds 10 hours charge or more @pc747

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kinda cool to have a battery that can be replaced very similarly to changing out an sd card.
I wasn't in favor of the buttons on the back change LG until owning a G2 so I'm much more open minded about this change.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
That would be a gun "magazine" not "clip".
A clip is used to re-load but is not inserted into the rifle/pistol itself.
Pet peeve of mine is when people call the magazine that holds bullets a "clip".
Bugs the hell out of me too.
905b161d1802f1efc0c5e5517db6d1d3.jpg

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I heard it's a special battery that is used for a micro phase inducted burst laser at the top... they want us to be able to change our magazines as quickly as possible for the upcoming AI/robot wars.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I heard it's a special battery that is used for a micro phase inducted burst laser at the top... they want us to be able to change our magazines as quickly as possible for the upcoming AI/robot wars.
Skynet is self aware.....

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
The clip/magazine thing bugs me to no end! LOL

I cringe every time someone says clip, as that means yet another American whose gun education begins and ends with a Lethal Weapon movie... haha

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
If this is legit, it would be the most unique way we have ever seen to change a battery on a smartphone. Of course, we cannot attest to how useful or practical it will be, but there might be some advantages. The modularity of it reminds us a tiny bit of Google's Project Ara.

I agree that this is very unique and would be cool to see it come to life.

Also, what ever happened to Project Ara? I really never thought it would come to fruition. Is it still ongoing?

Reactions: cr6

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think most of us think of rifle and pistol magazines... Several of my handguns are pistols that use mags, my three AR15's and my bolt action .270 take mags as well...