LG G5 is Officially Announced: Full Specs and Features Found Here

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lgg5-hero.jpg

It's a bright Sunday morning on February 21st here in the United States, and it's the day before the Mobile World Congress 2016 press show kicks off. LG just unveiled the G5, which is their latest flagship. They didn't share pricing and release date info on the G5, but here are all the other juicy details on its design, hardware and software.
  • 5.3-inch, 2560 x 1440 QHD display
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor & Adreno 530 GPU (supposedly 40% faster and 40% more power efficient than the Snapdragon 810)
  • 4GB of RAM
  • 16MP with OIS with Wide-angle 8MP (Dual-Rear) Camera - This is nearly identical camera tech to that found in the V10
  • 8MP Front Cam
  • 32GB of internal storage (with microSD card slot for expandable storage up to 2TB)
  • Removable 2,800 mAh battery -with Quick Charge 3.0 support, allowing you to charge from 0% to 80% in just 35 minutes
  • Rear mounted fingerprint scanner
  • Android 6.0 Marshmallow
  • All-metal unibody design (a first for LG)
  • Pink, Gold, Titan (Charcoal) and Silver color options
While these specs are quite sneeze-stifling, LG didn't just stop there. They added a slew of additional features and functions that make this a truly worthy flagship to contend with. But wait! There's still more.

Just as previously rumored the LG G5 has an always on display. It is designed to light up part of the screen at all times (which is a bit different from the way Motorola did things by intermittently displaying info). LG assures consumers that the new always on display only uses up .8% of the battery per hour.

Additionally, the slide-out battery cartridge design which was previously rumored is also here. It is indeed called the Magic Slot. In fact, we aren't done yet. The Magic Slot opens up a while host of new features because its modular. Not only does it allow you to remove and replace the battery easily. LG's questionably named new innovation actually allows various modules to be installed which add extra functionality! Here's a breakdown:
  • Cam Plus: Adds extra finger controls and additional 1,200 mAh battery to existing LG G5 camera.
  • 360 CAM: Allows the G5 to shoot 360-degree photos and videos. Features two 13-megapixel wide-angle cameras, 4GB of internal memory, 1,200 mAh additional battery capacity and shoots 2K video.
  • 360 VR: A virtual reality headset similar to Samsung’s Gear VR, in that it only connects to the G5.
  • H3 by B&O Play: Premium headphones capable of 32-bit sound. Compatible with all LG phones.
  • Rolling Bot: A small robot with an 8-megapixel camera that connects to devices via Wi-Fi. More than just a toy, LG says that owners can use the device “as a security system for the home” or “a remote control” for compatible devices.
  • Smart Controller: Control a drone and watch its video stream directly from the G5.
  • Tone Platinum: A “superior” bluetooth headset with lossless 24-bit audio.
What can we say except... WOW! What a clever idea! This could really attract the attention of consumers, especially if they love gadgets. We think LG may have hit a home run with this one. This is one of the most unique and innovative ideas we have seen in a smartphone in years, and we can't wait to see how consumers respond to it.

LG only shared that the G5 will arrive on the four major US carriers ( Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint), but they didn't share when or how much the phone will cost. We will be sure to update you when we find out more! Stay tuned for the Samsung Galaxy S7 event at 11am CTD today!

Also, here's our dedicated section for the LG G5 for additional discussions: LG G5

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I have been an LG fan for years. LG listens and delivers the device people want.
The G5 has the most invaded specs to date..
@xeene the smaller battery size is moot as the phone is 40% more efficient. It will also be lighter.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
This is what an Android manufacturer needed to do...build something 'different'. LG really built something special here. Yes its nothing earth shattering but its never been done and different enough to get consumers attention. Thinking outside of the box like this should move them to the front of the line in the Android space if they keep this up.

Great job LG!!

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I really hope the screen on all the time feature is an option that can be turned off. Not that I am looking at getting on but I feel it would have been foolish to leave that out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
So is the modular audio thing like a plug in speaker? If so I am really liking that along with the CAM... I could really see myself getting into that.

creaky

Reaction score
I've been really happy w my G4 and I'm very excited about this new phone. I have had bad experiences with several Samsung phones and they are, in my opinion, just trying to be Apple JR. These innovative ideas are what we need and I really appreciate that they are in service of features that consumers want, e.g. removable battery.

Gremlin

Reaction score
I really hope the screen on all the time feature is an option that can be turned off. Not that I am looking at getting on but I feel it would have been foolish to leave that out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yes it can be

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have been an LG fan for years. LG listens and delivers the device people want.
The G5 has the most invaded specs to date..
@xeene the smaller battery size is moot as the phone is 40% more efficient. It will also be lighter.
I'd rather have a big battery and a more efficient phone. Keeping it at 5.5 inches would have been nice too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OP updated. We forgot to share the details of the Cam Plus module.