LG G5 is Now Available Across the US

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lg-g5-2.jpg

Even though it's April Fool's Day, LG is not joking around. They launched the LG G5 on time as promised and it is now available across the United States today. Here's a quick recap of pricing for the device on the various major US carriers:
  • T-Mobile: $629.99 outright, or $26 per month for 24 months with $0 down
  • Sprint: $576 outright, $24 per month for 24 months, or $150 on a 2-year contract with $50 mail-in rebate
  • Verizon: $624 outright, $26 per month for 24 months
  • AT&T: $688.99 outright, $22.97 per month for 30 months on AT&T Next 24
As an extra side-note, it looks like LG's launch day sales for the G5 are 3 times higher than the G4. Last year, LG sold just 5,000 units on first day of sales, whereas the G5 has supposedly already hit 15,000 today across the globe. ~ PocketNow

Here's our dedicated section for further discussion: LG G5

boidsonly

Reaction score
Finally made the leap and am giving LG an opportunity to be the recipient of my hard earned cash. Nothing bad to say about the G5 other than I miss the size of my N6. Other than that, I was able to remove/disable every app I had no interest in. Performance is smooth across the board. The LG UI is taking a bit of getting used to since there is no app drawer (odd decision on the PMs' part). Verdict is still out on battery life-will see if I get through the entire day of normal use.
Was not able to copy files/contacts over from the N6 for some reason. The guy in front of me could not get his data to copy over from his G3 so I am guessing it is an LG S/W issue that needs to be patched? The devices show up on each others search but do not respond. Make sure you re-sync everything to your Google account before wiping your old phone.
Otherwise, I have no regrets. The N6 gave me buyers' remorse as a result of all the issues I had with it that were never solved.
The addition of an extra battery and charging station are a nice incentive but were not really a factor in my decision to buy the G5. LG also will throw in a 360 camera if purchased before the 5th (I believe that is the correct drop dead date).

boidsonly

Reaction score
The App Drawer can be enabled under: Settings/Home Screen/Select Home/Easy Home. Now that I am used to not using it, I don't miss it. Just seems a bit of an odd design change...

boidsonly

Reaction score
Look
How's the build quality?

Looks better than it feels. I am concerned about the edges where the phone meets the battery. Any bend at that point causes a slight bow in the edge. E.g. bending at the waist with the phone in your pocket, etc.
Re: battery life; I charged it yesterday midmorning and today (5:58 pm CST) the charge is at 54%. Screen was set to 3/4 of the slider unless I was outside-needed 100 brightness for that. This was with normal email/text/talk use. Very satisfied with battery life.
I will give LG kudos for allowing me to un-install or disable all the apps I had no interest in using. No driver needed to move files to/from my Win10 PC. My call quality is, hands down, better than my N6 ever was.
I suppose, if I was going to do it over again, I would buy the LG. No buyer's remorse for me.
Just remember what I said about bending at the battery-have a hard case on hand when you take it out of the box.