LG G3, or Droid Turbo, or??

turbodave

Reaction score
I'm now into my upgrade period and thinking about moving out of my Droid Maxx HD.
I first thought about the Droid Turbo, but have seen so MANY threads posted about problems people have, so....
I am also wondering about the G3. I like both LG and Mot. phones.
I've been a cell phone repair tech for many years and pretty familiar with the hardware aspects of all the candidates out there, so PLEASE don't steer my toward anything Samsung. Yes, I know, Samsung displays are absolutely the best in the world (on whatever they are in), but the radio section of any Samsung phone sucks.

I've even toy'd with moving to an iPhone 6, only because everybody else in my family are into Apple products.

Any advice would be appreciated!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I have both of these devices and the LG G3 is one of my absolute favorites... don't get me wrong, the Turbo is a nice device but I just like some of the stock tweaking functions of the G3.

I would say if you can get some hands on time with both devices (if you haven't), you would probably get a pretty good idea on feel.

And I might also suggest the xPeria Z3v :)...another great device that was undersold / advertised.

OP
turbodave

turbodave

Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm on Verizon service.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I have had the droid Turbo since day one.
No complaints, it has been flawless and a beast in performance.
Moto radios & build quality are the best around.
Most of the complaints have been from peoples personal preferences or not knowing how to use a phone.

I second the motion - go try them both out in hand and than walk away and think about it. It really comes down to personal preference.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I had the g3 on opening day I've had the turbo since opening day.. The g3 screen is the deal breaker for me.. Its pretty dim..but it has a great pic..

G3 has a superior camera.. But my turbo gets better battery life.. Much bigger battery.. And the turbo has built in qi charging..

The g3 has knock on and off and as smalltowngirl said.. It has more built in tweaking ability if that makes sense. :)

JDH

Reaction score
Turbo 32 since 10/30/14 then bump up to 64 after (13) days for $50 additional, great deal for double memory. Ballistic nylon. All good,great phone is it nekid because it feels so good :>}

Last edited by a moderator:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I have had the droid Turbo since day one.
No complaints, it has been flawless and a beast in performance.
Moto radios & build quality are the best around.
Most of the complaints have been from peoples personal preferences or not knowing how to use a phone.

I second the motion - go try them both out in hand and than walk away and think about it. It really comes down to personal preference.

I'll agree with @sst45jeff on every point he made.

I'll add that some complain about the Turbo's camera, but I believe that the biggest complaints are related to low light performance. As with most digital photography, post image processing can turn even a very dark photo into one that is completely presentable. That can be at least partially resolved with software updates. Some of the capabilities that the camera offers aren't even supported with KitKat but Lollipop provides full support. This means the APIs are there to be utilized in Lollipop to take advantage of the additional features.

From Google;

"Android 5.0 introduces the new android.hardware.camera2 API to facilitate fine-grain photo capture and image processing.

The CameraCharacteristics class lets your app detect what camera features are available on a device. The object'sINFO_SUPPORTED_HARDWARE_LEVEL property represents the camera's level of functionality."

Other than the camera I don't believe I've heard any serious issues that stand out above those with other phones. I've also seen that most issues were user's errors or caused by installation of apps which created conflicts. In other words there's no "smoking gun" indication the Turbo is in any way defective or flawed in design.

Some have complained about the speaker being either difficult to hear based on where you place your ear, or that it's not loud enough. I attribute that to the placement of the speaker's output in order to keep the top section of the phone above the screen smaller and also allowing the glass to be completely void of holes. It has been my experience that you only need to move the phone slightly lower on your ear to hear loud and clear.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

Last edited: