LG G2 vs Note 3 RF signal strength compairson

rustydog

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 9
Has anybody been able to compare the LG G2 and the Note 3 for signal strength in poor coverage areas? Some posters have noted the LG G2 is the best yet in a poor coverage areas. Does this carry over to the Note 3 which has the same processor? I have a summer place in a poor coverage and need all the help that I can get. I am sitting on the fence LG G2 vs Note 3 with the main qualifier being call strength. If every thing is equal I will probably upgrade to the Note 3. Antenna design and location have a large bearing on call strength.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I would think signal strength does not have anything to do with the processor, but the radio antenna that they put in the phone. That being said, I could very well be wrong, as I don't pay much attention to the processor, etc.

OP
R

rustydog

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 9
It is not directly part of the processors but part of the hardware package. The net of it I am still looking an operational comparison of the two.

turbodave

Reaction score
Has anybody been able to compare the LG G2 and the Note 3 for signal strength in poor coverage areas? Some posters have noted the LG G2 is the best yet in a poor coverage areas. Does this carry over to the Note 3 which has the same processor? I have a summer place in a poor coverage and need all the help that I can get. I am sitting on the fence LG G2 vs Note 3 with the main qualifier being call strength. If every thing is equal I will probably upgrade to the Note 3. Antenna design and location have a large bearing on call strength.

Processor has nothing to do with the phone's radio performance as it applies to transmit or receive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2. now Free

OP
R

rustydog

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 9
I understand processors and I understand RF, I have only been working around them for the last 55 years. I am looking for call signal comparison between the 2 phones before I get locked into buying one.

turbodave

Reaction score
I understand processors and I understand RF, I have only been working around them for the last 55 years. I am looking for call signal comparison between the 2 phones before I get locked into buying one.

OK, sorry. Your original question wanted to know how they compared because they both have the same processor, so it was assumed you possibly didn't know the difference. I too have been working with RF for about as long as you. So, sorry for mis-interpreting your original question.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
OK, sorry. Your original question wanted to know how they compared because they both have the same processor, so it was assumed you possibly didn't know the difference. I too have been working with RF for about as long as you. So, sorry for mis-interpreting your original question.

That's exactly how I read it as well

wooddale

Reaction score
Kind of what I wanted to know. I am also in a weird area within 6 miles I go from nothing to 3g or 4g what is funny I can have 4G coverage but still not able to make a call because voice and text are 3g (1x). 4g is just data evev though 3g is data to. AnywayI have a Note 2 and a Hd Maxx. Processor wise I guess you would say the Note is all over the Hd faster smoother but when it comes to where and when I get a signal the HD is King its like a hound dog sniffing out that signal. If the G2 could get a signal like the HD I would get it tomorrow. Both phones are rooted and un locked. So anyone know what ( lets call it radio strength) is?

OP
R

rustydog

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 9
Kind of what I wanted to know. I am also in a weird area within 6 miles I go from nothing to 3g or 4g what is funny I can have 4G coverage but still not able to make a call because voice and text are 3g (1x). 4g is just data evev though 3g is data to. AnywayI have a Note 2 and a Hd Maxx. Processor wise I guess you would say the Note is all over the Hd faster smoother but when it comes to where and when I get a signal the HD is King its like a hound dog sniffing out that signal. If the G2 could get a signal like the HD I would get it tomorrow. Both phones are rooted and un locked. So anyone know what ( lets call it radio strength) is?
Review the thread "Sooo are you happy with your G2????", note the posts by Hugh Jess and Garemlin as to the radio performance of the G2. The G2 and Note 3 use the same Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 MSM8974 system chipset. I believe the radios are part of this chipset thus should have very close radio performance. The reason I opened this thread was to find someone that had a real world fringe area comparison of the 2 phones. One of the G2 reviews commented the 800 chipset radios were very power conscious. My Droid Charge would kill its battery fast in a fringe area if I forgot to disable the LTE 4G. With the Verizon 2 year contracts I need to understand exactly what I am buying. I like features of both the G2 and Note 3 but my first priority is for the best fringe area coverage. #1
[h=2][/h]

wooddale

Reaction score
Review the thread "Sooo are you happy with your G2????", note the posts by Hugh Jess and Garemlin as to the radio performance of the G2. The G2 and Note 3 use the same Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 MSM8974 system chipset. I believe the radios are part of this chipset thus should have very close radio performance. The reason I opened this thread was to find someone that had a real world fringe area comparison of the 2 phones. One of the G2 reviews commented the 800 chipset radios were very power conscious. My Droid Charge would kill its battery fast in a fringe area if I forgot to disable the LTE 4G. With the Verizon 2 year contracts I need to understand exactly what I am buying. I like features of both the G2 and Note 3 but my first priority is for the best fringe area coverage. #1
[h=2][/h]
Dont have G2 asking the same Question as you. I was giving examples of the 2 phones I have and the difference between processors and radios. When your in a crap signal area like mine no matter what phones you have or weather there in 3g or 4g there gonna suck battery because they are always searching for signal. Just because the phones have the same processors doesnt mean there gonna have the same radios. I believe that's what the folks were saying.

OP
R

rustydog

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 9
Dont have G2 asking the same Question as you. I was giving examples of the 2 phones I have and the difference between processors and radios. When your in a crap signal area like mine no matter what phones you have or weather there in 3g or 4g there gonna suck battery because they are always searching for signal. Just because the phones have the same processors doesnt mean there gonna have the same radios. I believe that's what the folks were saying.
I believe these radios are part of the snapdragon chipset. Even with the same radio, antenna design and location is a big factor when working with marginal signals. Have you looked into a Wilson cell booster? Where I live I have good 4G and high speed internet but my summer place is a very different issue. It is in a valley with bluffs on either side. I use a Wilson 4G-V with and Omni outside antenna, it usually works but seams to drop out when I need it most. My son's ATT phone usually works good there but I don't want to change at this time. The only high speed internet is via satellite which is expensive for an occasional use place.

wooddale

Reaction score
I believe these radios are part of the snapdragon chipset. Even with the same radio, antenna design and location is a big factor when working with marginal signals. Have you looked into a Wilson cell booster? Where I live I have good 4G and high speed internet but my summer place is a very different issue. It is in a valley with bluffs on either side. I use a Wilson 4G-V with and Omni outside antenna, it usually works but seams to drop out when I need it most. My son's ATT phone usually works good there but I don't want to change at this time. The only high speed internet is via satellite which is expensive for an occasional use place.
Sounds like our summer places are alike. Yes I have tried the amps twice. First time both 3 and 4g. Got 4 g no 3. Second time just tried to get 3g because I knew I could get 4G. Im in aweird spot in the woods in W. I don't get Verizon 3g when I get it. It is extended US CELL service. I do have internet so I got a network extender from Verizon which works fine. I just can't pull in the 3g and doubt I ever will until they switch voice to 4g. The radios may be in with the package but there has to be a difference somewhere down the line.