LG G Flex with 6-inch Display Officially Re-confirmed; Shows Off in Press Render

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LG-G-Flex-press-renders.png

LG decided to take a stab at Samsung today. They officially re-confirmed the LG G Flex with some full press images of the device. At the same time they said there's was the first truly curved display, for whatever that statement is worth. Despite their liberal semantics, they also confirmed the specs of the LG G Flex and we find out it really is a 6-inch device. Here's a breakdown,
  • 6 inch OLED with HD 1280 x 720 pixels
  • Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
  • LTE-Advanced
  • NFC
  • 13MP rear camera
  • Volume buttons on the back
  • Quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor (MSM 8974)
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 32GB of internal memory
  • MicroSD card support
  • 7.9mm to 8.7mm thick to 160.5mm tall, and 81.6mm wide - weighs 177 grams
  • 3,500 mAh curved battery
There's one thing that could easily be said about this device. If you own it and use it in public, you will get noticed. Not only is it's shape unusual, it is obviously a huge device. How many of you guys are intrigued by this? It seems like it would be awkward in your pocket.

Source: UnWiredView

WestOkid

Reaction score
Is the point of this to have the privilege of saying, "Look my phone is banana shaped?"

realged13

Reaction score
What are the pros for having a curved screen? It would see more annoying to me.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
720p fail

Flexible screen technology has to start somewhere. That'd be like refusing to buy a smart phone because it's quadcore isn't as fast as your desktop's.

Iggy08

Reaction score
Flexible screen technology has to start somewhere. That'd be like refusing to buy a smart phone because it's quadcore isn't as fast as your desktop's.

At first I thought it was a bad idea, then I remembered this a bran new technology. 720p isn't bad in my books for first batch. Should boost battery life too like someone said above.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C

Samsung Galaxy Round has a flexible display that is 1080p. Nonfail!

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
Samsung Galaxy Round has a flexible display that is 1080p. Nonfail!

While you are correct, I would definitely not call it a failure. The 720p screen obviously still works. And it should be a bit more affordable and use less power as mentioned already.

Besides, I remember a time when "It has a better screen!" was the de facto argument of the iPhone fanboy. Perhaps it's fitting that retort now gets used on Samsung's behalf.:icon_rolleyes:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think 720p may be the future for most smartphones. The cost savings and power savings are too significant for virtually no user benefit. Now when you start getting into phablet territory, then maybe 1080p makes sense. But 5" and smaller 720p should really be the standard.

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Ive heard the eye cant really even differentiate between 720p and 1080p under about 50" so I guess I dont see the point of a 1080p 5-6" phone screen other than for marketing purposes.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ive heard the eye cant really even differentiate between 720p and 1080p under about 50" so I guess I dont see the point of a 1080p 5-6" phone screen other than for marketing purposes.

For video I think this is true, but for text crispness/clarity and the contrast I think it can be noticeable on the larger phablet-type screens.

But you may be right. I think a lot of people that claim to be able to perceive a difference are just seeing things they want to see or imagine, kind of like audiophiles generally fail the blind listening tests.

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
On my 52" sam - 720/1080 is not easy to tell.
Hair detail is giveaway.
Having 1080 on phone - more than likely to view connected to Tv.