LG Focuses Our Attention on the Improved Camera in their new G4 Flagship

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

LG's new marketing material is trying to make the argument that the new camera in their G4 flagship is almost equivalent to a professional grade DSLR. While that seems like a bit of a stretch, the results shown speak for themselves, and suggest smartphone cameras really are getting much closer to that ideal.

The factor which makes this closer to the truth than before is the f/1.8 aperture in the G4's camera, which allows for brighter, lower noise images in low light conditions. It's important to note that smaller numbers are better when it comes to the aperture of a camera lens. The smaller the aperture, the more light is let in, leading to better shots.

By way of comparison, the new Galaxy S6 from Samsung comes close with an aperture of f/1.9, yet that small .1 difference can be huge. Sadly, the HTC One M9 isn't even in the same ballpark with an aperture of f/2.2. The video above explains this further, and you can see several examples taken with the G4 in the thread below (and even more in the source link).

Sound off and let us now how important the quality of the camera on your smartphone is to you.

Source: LG

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here are several examples of the incredible image quality the LG G4 camera is capable of (in the hands of a professional):

LG-G4-camera-example-5-1280x720.jpg

LG-G4-camera-example-9-1280x720.jpg

LG-G4-camera-example-1-1280x720.jpg

LG-G4-camera-example-6-1280x720.jpg

LG-G4-camera-example-11-1280x720.jpg

LG-G4-camera-example-2-1280x720.jpg

LG-G4-camera-example-7-1280x720.jpg

LG-G4-camera-example-3-1280x720.jpg

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
The photos look great! Is this in manual mode?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Awesome photos. I can't even get a decent photo of my dog....

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I think the video explains that question, but I am not sure.

Yes, they are in manual mode. I'm looking forward to the day when these results are achieved in Auto mode. Most photos that people shoot on a cellular device are point and shooters.

It's good to see LG stepping up their camera game. The LG G3's camera is frustrating.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Blasphemy to a true photographer...
Good photography with a DSLR is almost always done in "manual" mode. Even a top quality DSLR will give you inconsistent photos in Auto mode.

Reactions: cr6

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
You can't get the shot with Auto. There's just no way. Example when I got my DSLR one of the first shots I wanted to try was one of those freeway shots, like the one above, where you can see the trails of headlights. If you just point and shoot the camera will have no clue you want to keep the shutter open longer to capture that type of shot.

TapaTurbo

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It would be quite possible to arrange a great shot in Auto mode. The guy in the video even said that the phone knows when you are inside and outside and that is half of the battle.

I have a camera and rarely ever use it on auto. I'm not a camera buff though and have never taken the time to fiddle with any settings so it just turns out to be frustrating when you know there is a great shot, but miss it because the settings had to be manipulated.

They are on the right track with the different modes that you can download that automatically adjust generic settings on the Samsung phones. They are a step above regular Auto mode and will continue to improve in the future.

If you can simply scroll through different scenarios and then press the shoot button it is faster and easier than fiddling around with ISOs and FStops.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Awesome news... Add me to the point and shoot crowd.. I'm not looking to take time to take pic.. Snap and go... BUT we like upgrades and nice cameras..

Tapped by NexusSix

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can't get the shot with Auto. There's just no way. Example when I got my DSLR one of the first shots I wanted to try was one of those freeway shots, like the one above, where you can see the trails of headlights. If you just point and shoot the camera will have no clue you want to keep the shutter open longer to capture that type of shot.

TapaTurbo
Move the camera the same direction as the vehicles, only slightly slower than the vehicles are moving . Any good p&s on auto will get at least a minimal trail behind, especially at night .I used to have a devil of a time getting "still and sharp" shots of parking lot lamps until I researched and found my shaky hand was the culprit. One of the best shots I ever got (it's a poster available at the Shenandoah National Park gift shop) was of Dark Hollow Falls on an old Samsung phone with a 2.3mp camera.
I lost the original years ago in a computer crash or I'd post it.