LG Display is Gearing Up to Invest $1 Billion in Flexible OLED Displays

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jul 23, 2015.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

Even though Samsung tends to get most of the media credit for flexible OLED tech, we shouldn't forget that LG actually launched the technology first. It looks like they are planning to take it to the next level too. LG Display just announced they are planning to invest KRW 1.05 trillion (approximately $1 billion USD) in a 6th generation flexible OLED display production line.

[​IMG]

LG is planning to use the tech in a number of different products and already has been. This includes devices like the G Flex series of smartphones and the LG Watch Urbane. Specifically, LG plans to allocate that investment in their Gumi Plant in Gyeongbuk Province, Korea. They plan to ramp up production to 7,500 input sheets per month using substrate sheets of 1,500mm x 1,850mm, with a plan to start mass production in the first half of 2017.

LG isn't just planning this large buildup for their own products though. They want to boost supply for a wide range of OLED panels, so they can target the automotive, television and mobile markets. One of the most intriguing innovations that their flexible OLED tech will facilitate is semi-transparent displays. Many of the biggest products to take advantage of this tech won't show up until 2017, but things should start moving quickly after that. Just imagine what the 2020's will have in store for us!!! :eek:

2. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,391
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I guess I'm just in a cynical mood today. While the concepts I've seen for this tech are really cool, I can't help but think to myself that there's got to be a better way to spend $1 billion dollars...Haha!

But, since they're the ones with the money to spend, they get to decide how it's used and I'll get a sweet new gadget in a few years, so I guess I won't hate on them too hard. ;)

3. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,348
    A billion to them is like us dropping an extra $5 on lottery tickets . They are into so much more than the mobile electronics division we see here on a daily basis.
    My memory might be faulty here but I thought LG introduced the technology to the public before Samsung but at the time was grappling with cash flow , or some other, issues and put it on the back burner.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,391
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I believe you're right about them dropping the tech first. The OP mentions something along those lines as well.

That's just my point (that you make about what a billion means to them). Imagine where they could toss their $5 to make a bigger difference in people's lives. Cancer research, feeding the homeless. I'm just saying. They've earned their money and it's their right to do with it as they see fit and I'm sure we'll see some amazing things come from this investment.

It'd just be nice to see these corporations do more with their billions of dollars. :)

5. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,707
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    Every large corporation donates money to charity, scholarships etc, and it's usually to the tune of a few million dollars. The company I work for donates over 5 million dollars a year to charities, but unless you're looking for it you don't usually hear about it. You don't donate to charities and then brag about it, that's not PC or very classy.

S5 tap'n

• Like Like x 2
  6. mountainbikermark

Ratings:
    +4,348
    True BUT at the same time money needs to be spent on R&D or we end up with all Microsoft and GM/Ford of the 80s-90s type products. With those huge numbers it's a small percentage being used to r&d the technology, leaving a gazillion to use in other areas such as charities. I work for Toys R Us and we don't advertise that we match dollar for dollar every donation for Alex Lemonade Stand (children's cancer research) Special Olympics and Toys for Tots campaigns plus add on any to meet a corporate promised number that falls short in customer donations. They waste a lot on stupid ads and what not but also do good stuff in the background.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,391
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I'm in a better mood today. Bring on the slap-bracelet phones!

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. mountainbikermark

Ratings:
    +4,348
    Will a Anna and Elsa Frozen slap bracelet do for now? We just started carrying them last week.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4

9. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,391
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Just Let it Go Mark. The cold never bothered me anyway, man.

10. mountainbikermark

Ratings:
    +4,348
    Aww come on man. You know you wanna build a snowman

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4

11. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,391
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    No.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +932
    Keep in mind OLED might dominate flatscreen televisions....and I believe LG already has a curved OLED out.

Tech is just going to be even more awesome within about 10 years...with where screens and fanless cpu's already are the connected home is going to be really exciting.

Flexible, and then transparent, screens are just going to open unlimited possibilities.

• Like Like x 1