LG Competes With Itself; G2 Sells Disappointing 2 Million Units Because of Nexus 5

scott craft

Reaction score
Actually they got where they are because they do make good phones, and also update them with the latest software.

Samsung does make good phones, but they aren't any better or worse than the top phones from other makers. The difference is in the advertising. LG and HTC could learn from Samsung's advertising department.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Samsung does make good phones, but they aren't any better or worse than the top phones from other makers. The difference is in the advertising. LG and HTC could learn from Samsung's advertising department.

It's not just advertising, they give the consumer what they want, timely updates on their devices, expendable storage and removable batteries, so it's not just advertising, at the end of the day people don't buy because there was a pretty add, they buy because the product is worth "quality product " spending their hard earned money on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Nope, majority doesn't care about storage or batteries. They care about galaxy s3 for $0.99 on black Friday of last year. When I ask them how much space they have or what version of Android they have I get a deer in the headlights look as they don't even know how to get to the battery.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nope, majority doesn't care about storage or batteries. They care about galaxy s3 for $0.99 on black Friday of last year. When I ask them how much space they have or what version of Android they have I get a deer in the headlights look as they don't even know how to get to the battery.

So you asked a few clueless people and that speaks for everyone, lol. Do yourself a favor go check how many people left HTC do to the reasons I mentioned earlier, you will be quite shocked, I myself left HTC do to those reasons, my first ever android device was the Incredible, then the Rezound, then HTC decided to do an apple to its customers without the Apple mojo, no expandable storage and removable battery was the final nail for me, plus their updates had been lagging behind the other manufacturers, HTC did it to themselves. Now LG is not HTC, they at least make quality products, their updates need to pick up some speed of they want to become relevant, heck I own the LG G Pad 8.3 and it is fantastic, now all it needs is an update. And yes expandable storage is a Must for me and millions of others.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

So you asked a few clueless people and that speaks for everyone, lol. Do yourself a favor go check how many people left HTC do to the reasons I mentioned earlier, you will be quite shocked, I myself left HTC do to those reasons, my first ever android device was the Incredible, then the Rezound, then HTC decided to do an apple to its customers without the Apple mojo, no expandable storage and removable battery was the final nail for me, plus their updates had been lagging behind the other manufacturers, HTC did it to themselves. Now LG is not HTC, they at may make quality products, their updates need to pick up some speed of they want to become relevant, heck I own the LG G Pad 8.3 and it is fantastic, now all it needs is an update. And yes expandable storage is a Must for me and millions of others.

You are both correct.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

scott craft

Reaction score
It's not just advertising, they give the consumer what they want, timely updates on their devices, expendable storage and removable batteries, so it's not just advertising, at the end of the day people don't buy because there was a pretty add, they buy because the product is worth "quality product " spending their hard earned money on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

There are certainly plenty of people who require expandable storage and a removable battery, but there are just as many that are clueless about those things and therefore don't care. I'm not at all saying Samsung doesn't make a good product and advertising is the only reason they sell a lot of phones, I'm just saying that HTC and LG have some really good phones in the One and G2, but those companies are not as good as advertising their phones as Samsung is. As huge as Samsung is right now I don't think HTC or LG can match the sales of the S4 or Note 3 even with better marketing, but they could do better and start building towards bigger sales with future phones.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are certainly plenty of people who require expandable storage and a removable battery, but there are just as many that are clueless about those things and therefore don't care. I'm not at all saying Samsung doesn't make a good product and advertising is the only reason they sell a lot of phones, I'm just saying that HTC and LG have some really good phones in the One and G2, but those companies are not as good as advertising their phones as Samsung is. As huge as Samsung is right now I don't think HTC or LG can match the sales of the S4 or Note 3 even with better marketing, but they could do better and start building towards bigger sales with future phones.

Future phones, lol, HTC will be bought out by someone else within the next year or so, they are hurting big time. The big negative on the HTC one has been it’s crapy battery life, and that horrible blink feed that they integrated into the os. Fantastic, put a crapy battery in your flagship device that can not be changed with a fresh one. The one has a nice design, but at the end of the day, it's what's in the phone that matters. There is a reason why the HTC one sales tumbled, the reasons I stated before is the reason, nice metal body, nice screen, but at the end of the day, what good is a device that runs out of juice before you reach an outlet. It helps when you can keep a spare battery in your pocket, especially if you are a power user and on the move most of the day, it takes a whole 30 seconds to change a depleted battery with a fresh one. I drive a black car TLC, and I come across many people who always ask me if I have a charger so they can charge their phone, mostly iPhone users with batteries that can not be removed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

acousticshade

Reaction score
Coming from a HTC Rezound, I was worried about a non-removable battery, but I can say it's really a non-issue. The battery life is fantastic & the back is removable if you ever do need to replace it. Now a phone with a totally sealed battery, that's something I wouldn't buy.

LG has also been spending a decent amount on advertising. Their ads aren't bad, but they don't have the pop of the iPhone or moto x ads. Also, go into any Verizon or Best Buy & the G2 is relegated to a corner somewhere while the Samsung products are front and center in a much bigger space. Ask the sales person about phones & the first thing they do is lead you over to the Sammy spot. Same thing killed the Rezound & galaxy nexus sales 2 years ago when Verizon was tripping all over themselves to sell the Razr.

LG just needs to keep the ads going & keep stepping up to the plate and knocking them out of the park.

spurscar

Reaction score
Coming from a HTC Rezound, I was worried about a non-removable battery, but I can say it's really a non-issue. The battery life is fantastic & the back is removable if you ever do need to replace it. Now a phone with a totally sealed battery, that's something I wouldn't buy.

What do you mean it's not totally sealed? Is it still swappable or are you talking soldering to remove the old battery and replace it?

As for all this junk about Kit Kat Hersey candy bar jelly bean nonesense, I completely agree that most folks don't give a rat's ass about that stuff. Hell, I'm very technical and an IT Director with a rooted Rezound and if I could turn the damn updates off from Verizon without a ROM I would. ROMs are buggy, stock is stable... I like the skin on Android, base Android is bland and boring. The phone makes calls, surfs the web, clock works, etc... why do I need an update again? Just leave it alone or make it optional like an iPhone where you can just say no in iTunes and tell it not to bother you again.

Really considering the G2 because the S5 is going to take too long to come out and may be an AT&T exclusive for a few months too according to rumors. My digitizer is starting to fail in the Rezound and I can upgrade in 6 days, so the G2 may be it.

acousticshade

Reaction score
What do you mean it's not totally sealed? Is it still swappable or are you talking soldering to remove the old battery and replace it?

As for all this junk about Kit Kat Hersey candy bar jelly bean nonesense, I completely agree that most folks don't give a rat's ass about that stuff. Hell, I'm very technical and an IT Director with a rooted Rezound and if I could turn the damn updates off from Verizon without a ROM I would. ROMs are buggy, stock is stable... I like the skin on Android, base Android is bland and boring. The phone makes calls, surfs the web, clock works, etc... why do I need an update again? Just leave it alone or make it optional like an iPhone where you can just say no in iTunes and tell it not to bother you again.

Really considering the G2 because the S5 is going to take too long to come out and may be an AT&T exclusive for a few months too according to rumors. My digitizer is starting to fail in the Rezound and I can upgrade in 6 days, so the G2 may be it.

You can remove the back with a knife or a special tool. There are videos on you tube on how to do it. It looks like it takes a couple of minutes, but not too bad. So if you have to replace the battery, you can.

The G2 blows the Rezound away. Everything is better & faster. If you want a bigger phone, the N3 is the way to go, but the radios in Samsung devices are weaker than the Rezound, so you may have connectivity issues if you life in rural areas.

spurscar

Reaction score
You can remove the back with a knife or a special tool. There are videos on you tube on how to do it. It looks like it takes a couple of minutes, but not too bad. So if you have to replace the battery, you can.

The G2 blows the Rezound away. Everything is better & faster. If you want a bigger phone, the N3 is the way to go, but the radios in Samsung devices are weaker than the Rezound, so you may have connectivity issues if you life in rural areas.

No, the Notes are way too big. I like the G2, just excited about some of the specs in the S5, specifically the new sensor tech for the camera that doesn't blow out highlights as badly. Camera is my top priority except to the point of switching to Windows Phone. Otherwise I'd get a Lumia 1020. Really wish we could get that PureView camera in an Android quad-core phone with a 5-5.2" screen.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Coming from a Rezound to a Note2 I have to respectfully disagree with the radios being weaker on the Notes. CDMA is better, LTE is better, Bluetooth is far far better on my Note2
Now the G2 blows them all away radio reception wise.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

acousticshade

Reaction score
Coming from a Rezound to a Note2 I have to respectfully disagree with the radios being weaker on the Notes. CDMA is better, LTE is better, Bluetooth is far far better on my Note2
Now the G2 blows them all away radio reception wise.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

Mark, I did a side by side test of the Rezound, a G2 and N3 in two different stores because I was leaning toward the N3 but concerned with signal quality. The rezound and the G2 were very close with signal quality while the N3 lagged behind by around 13% if I recall correctly. There is a thread about it on here somewhere. There are also threads on other sites showing mostly similar results, although they do vary. I did not check Bluetooth.

comk4ver

Reaction score
Well, it just goes to show that LG can do fine. They just need advertising/publicity. Obviously, the major incentive for people was the price tag which was why people chose the Nexus 5 over the G2. If it was only a specs battle the phones should have been even. But it wasn't about the specs (which we all knew).

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk