LG Announces Android Flip Phone Called the Wine Smart

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. LG just announced a new device for Asian markets. It's called the Wine Smart, and despite being potentially curious about the etymology of the devices name, the most curious thing about it is not that. It's actually an Android flip-phone. Yep... that harkens back to the bygone days of the early 2000's.

As you would expect, it's internal specs are not what you would call, cutting edge, but it should get the job done for its intended market.
  • 1.2GHz processor
  • 8-megapixel camera
  • 3.5-inch, 480 x 320
Perhaps if a company would try a bit harder with better hardware, then something like this could go mainstream... What do you think?

Source: LG

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
My parents still use flip phones. As long as it doesn't require data, having a choice is always good.

In fact, it looks a like a new phone on Verizon called LG exalt. It's a flip phone with a huge(for a flip phone) screen. My mother has it, and loves it.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
wine

0.jpg

hennessy... are they trying to get an endorsement.

GalaxyS4%20-%20Hennessy%20VSOP%20Cognac-500x500.jpg

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Seems like a flip phone (along the vertical access) could catch-on by providing flexibility/choice for a smaller phone that folds out into one with double the screen size....a 4" such device would unfold to yield a 5.5" screen.

I'd be real interested in something like that. But it's like it's evil or something to manufacture a phone that would be so "thick".

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My last flip phone was LG and I'd make that one my next last flip phone. My wife's last flip phone was a Casio ruggedized with that swivel type screen and it was a pretty cool feature, especially when using its camera.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I'm missing my razor v3 about now.

sent from my XT1080 using tapatrash

Reactions: cr6

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
When I dropped my M8 in a pool a few months ago I used a basic flip phone. It was nice to use actually. The radio in that thing was amazing. I had the best call reception and quality every with that little thing. The battery lasted for days and days too. If they could somehow do that with an android flip phone, I may be able to convert my mom over to an android phone one step at a time. And depending on the price, I would consider getting one as a backup/vacation phone. If it could connect to my Moto 360, give me Google Maps via bluetooth in my car and a few other basic apps, it would be a great phone.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is something about holding a flip phone to your ear I miss
And the satisfying click/thunk when closing it (i feel like Kirk after he says "beam me up Scotty there's no intelligent life down here" before closing his communicator), a D pad and not giving a second thought to accidentally dropping my phone then kicking it when I bend over to pick it up only to have it solidly hit a steel ibeam and slide , like a hockey puck on ice, half way back to where I dropped it initially.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
wine

0.jpg

hennessy... are they trying to get an endorsement.

GalaxyS4%20-%20Hennessy%20VSOP%20Cognac-500x500.jpg

I guess this phone never did make it to the states. Bummer because I really felt like it could have taken advantage of the crowd that wanted flip phones that had smart phone features.