LG Actually Sells an Android Lollipop Powered Flip Phone in Asian Markets

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lg-gentle-2015-07-27-01.jpg

How many of you folks would like to see one of these come to the US? LG apparently makes an Android 5.1, Lollipop powered flip phone in Asian markets (primarily Korea). It's called the LG Gentle, and it actually includes 4G LTE. It's specs are rather weak, but it seems kinda retro-cool. Here's a breakdown:
  • 3.2-inch 480 x 320 screen
  • 3-megapixel rear camera
  • 4GB of (expandable) storage
  • 1GB of RAM
  • Android 5.1 Lollipop
  • faux-leather back
I wonder what would it be like to actually dial physical buttons on a cell phone again... ;)

Source: LG

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I wonder what would it be like to actually dial physical buttons on a cell phone again... ;)
It's a trip man. As an IT guy at a nursing home, I still get to deal with old-school flip phones from time to time.

Also, I like some of the concepts we've seen where the screen was still touch, but it had the physical keyboard. I'd enjoy getting my hands on one of these to play, but I haven't used a physical keyboard regularly on a phone since the update that brought the on-screen keyboard to the G1. Never found much use for the physical keyboard on the OG Droid and went touch-only from there.

I'd like to see the size specs on a device like this. Do we know if it's about the size of the average flip phone that we used to have? (I know, I didn't bother to check the source link...)

EDIT: Yup. The source link had the answer.​
Size 117.7 x 58.7 x 16.6mm

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Flip phones and bar phones are immensely popular overseas simply due to their low cost factor. The average person in the world cannot afford smart phone prices so there will always be a market for them.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Id buy 1. For all the basic functions Android has to offer and the convience of flip phone and size, it would be cool. I would get one if i could.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'd try one just for the old timey coolness factor. Everything old is cool. :D

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Better camera and I'd be willing to try life without an s pen.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It would also be a bit cumbersome to use the touchscreen to navigate various apps, let alone turning it sideways to view YouTube videos, take pictures etc. I loved my original Razr v3 flip phone back in the day, but I just don't see this style going anywhere these days.

S5 tap'n

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
+1 @Ollie flips are sooooo popular here in Asia especially in Japan which is the flips largest market.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
It would also be a bit cumbersome to use the touchscreen to navigate various apps, let alone turning it sideways to view YouTube videos, take pictures etc. I loved my original Razr v3 flip phone back in the day, but I just don't see this style going anywhere these days.

S5 tap'n

Take a step outside of the U.S. and you will see them. Everywhere.