Let's Keep it 100: Moto 360

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
02-moto-360-wrist-100429898-large.idge.jpg

I have owned the Moto 360 for almost a week now and have some things I like about it and things that I feel needs improvement. I am going to highlight a couple or areas and give it a grade based on my experience.

Cosmetic: For a timepiece this is by far the best looking smart watch available, whether you go black or silver you will not be disappointed with the look of the device. I give the Moto 360 a full 20/20 (A) for the overall look and feel.

Battery Life: We have heard mixed reviews on battery life but I must say that if you turn off ambient screen (as suggested by a number of other reviewers) you will not have any problem getting a full days use. By full days use I mean using it to check the time or other minor things. I have to give this device a 16/20 (B) for battery life as it does a decent job holding up throughout the day.

UI: This is the area that really needs work as far as android wear. Do I swipe left, right, double tap? The user interface for android wear is clearly in it beginning stages. Even with an app like android wear launcher, I find myself spending more time trying to navigate through the watch than I want to. Maybe I am being harsh but the UI to me is the weakest part of the Moto 360 and as a result I have to give it a 12/20 (D).

Development/App availability: Clearly android wear is still in its infancy and we are going to have to wait for more apps to come on board. There are some good apps available like Beautiful Watches but we are still lacking in apps. One app I would like to see is a clock app like timely where your alarms link to your watch versus having to have a separate alarm for your watch and phone. Compared to Samsung and pebble I feel development for android wear is much better but still have ways to go. So if you are thinking you are going to open the box for your brand new Moto 360 and have a wide selection of apps from the play store to choose from then you will be disappointed. Though I expect this score to improve as more developers jump on board, as of right now I give it a 15/20 (C) score.

Pricing: The argument of whether $250 is too much to pay for a smart watch is subjective. Before the Apple watch $250 would have been the top end but now it seems somewhat reasonable. Considering the internals seem like something Motorola recycled from left over tech in the back room, the build quality feels solid and durable. Everything from the leather band to the outer shell looks and feel premium but when you look at the screen and the internals powering the device it seems out dated. Add to the fact that android wear still has ways to go and development is limited I have to say overall the price point of $250 may be what enthusiasts are willing to pay but think $179-199 is a better price point for the device. So for pricing 15/20 (C) is a fair score.

Overall: The Moto 360 scores a 77/100 (C). The Moto 360 changed the way we view smart watches as we will see more companies concentrate on look versus looking "techie", as that will be what it will take to get main stream consumers into adopting the technology. As of now android wear is better suited for enthusiasts who want to experience the evolution of android. Those who want simple and straight forward as well as getting the best value for their money I have to say you may want to either hold off or play with the device in person before buying. Knowing what I know now I would buy the Moto 360 again 7/10 times as I have been pleased with the device while knowing android wear will improve. By year 2 and 3 we should see a much improved android wear software as well as a larger selection of styles to fit different tastes.

Those of you with the Moto 360 post your scores below as well as your opinions about the device.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I love my Moto 360. Very happy I managed to find one at BestBuy a couple days after it launched. As for battery, I've had a very good experience. I done everything from turn-by-turn GPS, to setting multiple timers, texting, checking weather, using voice searches and a bunch of other stuff and ending up with 30% at the end of a 15-16 hour day of use. To me, that is more than acceptable. I do wish I could turn the screen off at night when its charging though. I have a feeling that will become and option in the future though. The UI...ya, needs a tad more polish. I feel like you do one thing for one app but another requires slightly different motions. I dunno, I'm used to the stuff I'm using but I'm sure those things will expand as I have it longer.

I think I'd give it an 85/100 from my experience.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I love my Moto 360. Very happy I managed to find one at BestBuy a couple days after it launched. As for battery, I've had a very good experience. I done everything from turn-by-turn GPS, to setting multiple timers, texting, checking weather, using voice searches and a bunch of other stuff and ending up with 30% at the end of a 15-16 hour day of use. To me, that is more than acceptable. I do wish I could turn the screen off at night when its charging though. I have a feeling that will become and option in the future though. The UI...ya, needs a tad more polish. I feel like you do one thing for one app but another requires slightly different motions. I dunno, I'm used to the stuff I'm using but I'm sure those things will expand as I have it longer.

I think I'd give it an 85/100 from my experience.
Turn developer mode on by going into settings and tapping the build number. Once on you can turn off the display while it is in the charger.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
How's the resolution of the screen?
I'm not quite sold on having a watch that requires my phone to function, but I like the look of the Moto over all other current watches.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not quite sold on having a watch that requires my phone to function, but I like the look of the Moto over all other current watches.

The display is ok..it isnt great but you can see it in direct sunlight which is better than when I had the gear fit 2 (which was an AMOLED display). For a watch it is decent but I really do not need "2K" display for a watch just need to be able to do what I need to do and it does that fine. The display and internal tech is ancient compared to where tech is today. I really feel there is room to grow though.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I've considered getting Samsung's watch that has the simcard slot in it, but the battery life would be horrible due to the cellular connection and my telco carrier does not allow one phone number on two simcards.

I fight the Amoled vs sunlight battle everyday. I love the screens until I step outside.

Maybe I can find a store that has the 360 to check it out.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't need a phone to simply tell time.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I don't wear a conventional watch either. Never have, but I'm not discounting the use of a smart watch at all. If I were a watch wearer I could see the draw to a watch with more functions. Since I'm not though it would have to do something more than mimic my phone.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Turn developer mode on by going into settings and tapping the build number. Once on you can turn off the display while it is in the charger.

It doesn't work. Already tried long time ago. I am on 4.4W1 also.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It doesn't work. Already tried long time ago. I am on 4.4W1 also.

It works for me. Try putting it on the charger and you may have to tap the power button once or twice. Earlier today when I put it on it came on the first time I tapped it went from dim to bright second time it went off.

jspradling7

Reaction score
I'm not trying to insult anyone who has one, and I'll probably end up getting one too eventually, but the first thing I thought of when I saw the pic in the OP was...

flavor-flav-cc08_zpsbe8ac34a.jpg