let's hear the horror stories

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
A couple of things:

1. The phone has Gorilla Glass 2, which is lighter and thinner than Gorilla Glass 1, which means it is more fragile.
2. The design of the phone results in the edge of the glass being very close to the edge of the frame. This leaves the glass closer to the point of impact.

Also, since the phone is made mostly of plastic, which does give and allows a certain amount of flex, this may be an issue when it is attached to glass, which is fairly rigid and allows a much smaller amount of flex. When he was putting the battery in and then snapping the battery cover on, if he was applying a larger than necessary amount of pressure, it could very well have bent the phone enough where the plastic gave and didn't break, but the glass did. Luckily the damage was when the phone was in their hands, not yours.

I have seen phones drop from waist high land flat on the glass and did not even scuff and other situations a phone drop from maybe knee level and shatters the glass. With any thing it is a matter of angles, how it lands, and where the weak spot is in the glass. Personally it is why I will always keep a least a tpu case and a screen protector on my phone. Because it is for that one moment when you least expect it and having a case helps add protection to my device. I had a rep drop my galaxy nexus when installing a battery and all it did was scratch the casing.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
?
Really because the at&t rep didnt touch my phone I opened my box in the safety of my carpeted living room and installed my sim, sd card, and battery and fired it up. But hey what can you do but watch in horror as you see a phone hit the deck and break and the rep stare at you like...so you want to use your insurance now.

Lol, I look at it like this... want the phone be to be operational when I take it out of the store.. but I wasn't given a choice, he took it out of the box to activate it and my new line with at&t, and to apply the screen protector.

As far as if the rep drops it... all I do is look at em and say, "I hope you have another one, cause I'm not paying for that one". Lol

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
A couple of things:

1. The phone has Gorilla Glass 2, which is lighter and thinner than Gorilla Glass 1, which means it is more fragile.
2. The design of the phone results in the edge of the glass being very close to the edge of the frame. This leaves the glass closer to the point of impact.

Also, since the phone is made mostly of plastic, which does give and allows a certain amount of flex, this may be an issue when it is attached to glass, which is fairly rigid and allows a much smaller amount of flex. When he was putting the battery in and then snapping the battery cover on, if he was applying a larger than necessary amount of pressure, it could very well have bent the phone enough where the plastic gave and didn't break, but the glass did. Luckily the damage was when the phone was in their hands, not yours.

Yeah the phone is pretty flimsy, but that's built into it. I didn't really like the feel of my vzw note2, but I wasn't concerned about it breaking that easy..

I think the issue is that when they cut glass, it leaves fractures.. sometimes those fractures are worse on certain pieces of glass.. that device could've been one of the unfortunate ones.. similar to the s3's that had screen issues.. who's to say?

The only thing I know is that I'm glad it didn't happen while I had it. :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Though it is a good thing he did it and found the flaw. But that brings me to my tips of the day.

1) Never let a sales rep touch your phone. They seem to have butter fingers when touching YOUR phone

2) insurance is your friend

3) When taking it out of the box do it in a carpeted area and as soon as you remove it from the box and install the battery and door do not leave the carpet area until a phone case and screen protector is on your phone

And may I add...CHARGE FULLY BEFORE powering up the first time!! (You all knew I had to do that!) :biggrin:

OP
sweeeeet

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's like they tried to make it as slick as possible. Can't wait until my case gets in, I've dropped it about 50 times so far.

Its for aerodynamics lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk