Let TV warm up before first use

RichStevenson

Reaction score
I'm having an LCD TV delivered this Friday. It's in the 30's now outside and was wondering if I should let it warm up to room temperature before turning it on? They told me this 8 years ago (I think they said 12 hrs.) with my rear projection unit so I was curious what everyone's thought was on the subject.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm having an LCD TV delivered this Friday. It's in the 30's now outside and was wondering if I should let it warm up to room temperature before turning it on? They told me this 8 years ago (I think they said 12 hrs.) with my rear projection unit so I was curious what everyone's thought was on the subject.

RP and LCD technologies are different. You should be fine turning it on cold.

The reason the RP and DLP TVs need to warm up is because they still used glass tubes (not vacuum tubes) that can shatter when they heat or cool too rapidly. Plasma is also greatly effected by the ambient temperature.

By the time you get your TV inside and setup, you'll be just fine.

Silver Member
Reaction score
LCD is still subject to varying temperatures. if the TV has been sitting outside in conditions much cooler than normal operating range, you'd be doing more harm than good than to just turn it on.

check the manual for proper operating temps and if you aren't sure, give it an hour or two before turning it on.

there's no sense to taking $1000 and throwing it out just because.

Last edited:
OP
RichStevenson

RichStevenson

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
@640K-Don't know why I didn't think about that. I just downloaded the manual and it says operating temp is 50F-104F. Thanks!

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
@640K-Don't know why I didn't think about that. I just downloaded the manual and it says operating temp is 50F-104F. Thanks!
case-in-point; LCD means LIQUID crystal display.

worse case scenario, the TV has been sitting on the back of a truck in 10-20° temps for a few days or even weeks. do you think that TV is going to do well with plugging it in as soon as you unbox it?

btw, lol @ 104°F. don't use this on your outdoor patio. heh.

B

bthomp21

to be on the safe side, id let it warm up in the house before plugging it in.