Let the flashing Begin

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Mr. Beans has released a ROM. I ran his roms on the NoteII for a long time.

Just started the Ti backup, then a Nandroid.

Need to find a that MD5 tool I had on the old laptop, I like checking the MD5 of the download, saves a whole lot of grief from the Bootloops caused by corrupted downloads.

Flash, setup, then restore from Ti.

Then update SystemUI with my Softkeys.

I used to be able to do this in under an hour... let's see how well I do!

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I would expect a bunch of stuff coming down the pike for the 6P

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nice, I know it's is a popular ROM. Maybe I'll give it a shot soon.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Ya it's started. These Devs just amaze me. The phones been in our hands for a couple of weeks at most, and already we have recovery & roms!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
IF I do start playing and rom'ing, it'll be after the Holidays. Can't afford to take a chance that my phone won't be working quite right on my trip home for Thanksgiving, and then we all know how busy the holidays get. Which is fine by me. Just means there'll be that many more options by the time I've got a chance to tinker. IF I decide to do so. I'm really loving the phone as it is, but theming and rom'ing brought new life to my OG Droid that I really liked as well, so I won't say never, but I doubt I'll invest the kinda time I used to invest there.

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I too liked the stock experience. There are a couple of features I miss from Samsung ROMS. The ability to change the system font is probably the biggest. And if there was an easier to use dropdown with toggles more like Lidroid, that would be a bonus.

It's funny to complain about Google Bloat, especially after looking at my Buddy's new Turbo2. Oh Ma Goodness VSW loaded that thing up with "Crapware". But there are a few things I'll never use and they take up the limited space available so making them go away is an added bonus.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I get what you're saying. I'm not having quite those issues. I hated the toggles being ever-present on my Note 4, especially in landscape. Watching some netflix or playing a game and get a notification, only to pull the shade down and not really be able to check it out because the stupid toggles took up most of the room on the screen. I like having them handy, but tucked away.

I've never really cared about changing the font either. Maybe that's because most of the stock Samsung fonts that they offered without having to download and/or buy others seemed way too girly for me. Idk. Font's just don't really matter much to me personally. And I like Roboto. Might just be part of my fanboyism shining through hardcore.

I just had a buddy text me to ask why I got the 6 instead of the Turbo 2. Haha! Boy, did he get a long message back. First of all, the specs you're checking out are for the 6, not the 6P, second, here's a list of why. These are just off the top of my head...Haha

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Never heard of Mr Beans. I'm waiting on ScottRoms to do something. I'm in no rush though. Other than a few Chinese/korean inputs that I had to disable, I'm content.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I wish I could get rid of Cast. I remove it from SystemUI and it still shows in the pull down.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm curious about Cast. Is it baked right in? I have a Chromecast. I mostly only use it to share pictures with a large group and to redeem my free movie or free money for Google Play from time to time. I already put the app on my phone, but do I not need it with that Cast option right on the phone?

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I wish I could get rid of Cast. I remove it from SystemUI and it still shows in the pull down.
What did you remove ? The whole "odex" thing is a challenge I've never had to deal with before. Seems the only thing in SystemUI.apk are the resources.

Is the menu system in .xml entries ?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
What did you remove ? The whole "odex" thing is a challenge I've never had to deal with before. Seems the only thing in SystemUI.apk are the resources.

Is the menu system in .xml entries ?
I just removed it from the stock System UI Tuner(Hold the settings gear down for 3 seconds). I haven't rooted yet. I may drop the apk and take a look. Cast is about the only thing that bugs me. I'll never cast to anything from my phone. Watch the one time I need to, I've disabled it.

OP
cynkrzy

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Since Cast is baked in, it would take a whole bunch of edits to remove.

I'm not sure how the android menu system works. The cast.apk could add itself to all the context menus on startup, or it could be built-in to the menu system which at a minimum would require .xml edit and re-compiling the .apk

Leave off the toggles and it will still be there if you do ever want to use it, though I'm like you.

I turn off NFC as soon as I setup a phone.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I just want this shortcut to go away.

97e1208d85d75ab1dc926d18fcbf32cb.jpg

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X