Let The Countdown Begin for Motorola Bionic ICS

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey, if the RAZR folks can have a thread like this, so can us Bionic folks.

Mods, please move this to the Droid News section, like the RAZR one is. No reason the RAZR should be special.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Except the RAZR ICS is within 1 month and the news post was to show official Motorola videos of ICS on the RAZR.

Bionic is 2-4 months out and with no additional news worthy items to show.

floyd

Reaction score
Verizon is pretty clueless about customer loyalty. But with only two top-tier providers, who are clearly colluding, they could care less.

Mobile providers should be a big dumb pipe. A utility that is critical for commerce, innovation, and most importantly, education.

Perhaps a surcharge should be required for folks that stream movies habitually over mobile, but price gouging seems to be the future, unless folks take action.

The bandwidth is there.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
D

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Except the RAZR ICS is within 1 month and the news post was to show official Motorola videos of ICS on the RAZR.

Bionic is 2-4 months out and with no additional news worthy items to show.

You do realize that with the mention of Q2 for the RAZR, and "early Q3" for the Bionic that the Bionic's ICS could literally come 1 day after the RAZR's, correct? If the RAZR went OTA on June 30th, it would be Q2. If the Bionic went OTA on July 1st, it would be "early Q3".

And the point of putting THIS on the front page would be to stir up some discussion, since putting it in this ghost town of a subforum means it's essentially lost. Almost 200 views, and 2 comments?

OP
D

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a surcharge should be required for folks that stream movies habitually over mobile, but price gouging seems to be the future, unless folks take action.

The bandwidth is there.

I think the big issue is, like everything else Verizon, the LTE rollout was extremely poorly planned. It has ended up costing them alot more than they had anticipated. So now they are passing the additional costs off to the customer. My issue with this is simple, Verizon's rollouts are ALWAYS poorly planned. I remember the joke that was the EV-DO rollout. My area got EV-DO approximately 18 months after it began to roll out, and the speeds were a joke. At least LTE started off speedy. That part, they got right. It remains to be seen how well it scales, though.

floyd

Reaction score
Incompetent rollout, and incompetent marketing. Anybody who defends Verizon is either a shill, or a customer with Stockholm Syndrome.

Inexcusable.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Dave12308 said:
You do realize that with the mention of Q2 for the RAZR, and "early Q3" for the Bionic that the Bionic's ICS could literally come 1 day after the RAZR's, correct? If the RAZR went OTA on June 30th, it would be Q2. If the Bionic went OTA on July 1st, it would be "early Q3".

And the point of putting THIS on the front page would be to stir up some discussion, since putting it in this ghost town of a subforum means it's essentially lost. Almost 200 views, and 2 comments?

Verizon's track record hasn't been the best. It's possible and hopefully that happens. But Verizon has delayed updates til the last moment before and I expect them to do so for the RAZR and Bionic.

This is all on top of the fact that Verizon has given poor treatment to the Bionic since its announcement. The "ghost town of a sub forum" is evidence of that.

Front page is for news. No additional information has been released for the Bionic as I said in the previous post.

That's all I was saying.

bbtkd

Reaction score
ICS Not all that

I have a Wifi Xoom, so got ICS months ago. I have to say - it's not all that earth shattering - a lot of people will feel let down. Sure, some new features and a few fixes, but new bugs will be introduced - they always are. Folks will be on here *****ing about this or that new bug, a handful of bugs that were not fixed, features they liked that are now ruined, things ICS should have had, etc. It won't solve all the 3G to 4G transition issues, nor the "no network" issues for everyone. Some will say it does, some will say no change, and some will say it's worse. Same for battery life, stability, reception, performance, and any other aspect. ICS is all about expectations and all the pre-release hype will only result in post-release trauma. Then folks will be clamoring for the next release which will fix everything! Then when most of us who got the Bionic the first day are eligible and switch, we'll move to a new forum while those stuck in this one will bemoan abandonment. I won't even bother saying "told you so".

OP
D

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Front page is for news. No additional information has been released for the Bionic as I said in the previous post.

That's all I was saying.

Exactly. And while a couple of videos from Moto's Japanese site are definitely interesting, they are hardly newsworthy. If the Bionic was available overseas, they'd probably have a video for that as well. I guess my point is that a video from a foreign site is irrelevant when it comes to ICS for the Verizon Wireless Droid Razr (or Verizon Wireless anything else, for that matter). Like you said, they could delay ICS for both devices at the last minute. Truthfully, I haven't seen a single device that Verizon DID treat well as far as updates go. I went through this with my Blackberry Storm (stuck on a crappy OS for months), my Droid 1 with Froyo (yeah, Flash capable soon after launch - SURE), and my Verizon iPhone 4 (stuck on 4.2.x while GSM devices were on 4.3).

All I was saying is we could throw this on the front page as well, and CREATE some news, just like they did with the RAZR. Because, I still maintain, information from Moto Japan is completely irrelevant when VZW gets into the mix. As far as I am concerned, the only info that will be truly newsworthy is "VZW beings ICS OTA push for Moto LTE devices" - because until that time, all we have to go on is that release date chart, and we've seen that change a couple of times already.

OP
D

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a Wifi Xoom, so got ICS months ago. I have to say - it's not all that earth shattering - a lot of people will feel let down. Sure, some new features and a few fixes, but new bugs will be introduced - they always are. Folks will be on here *****ing about this or that new bug, a handful of bugs that were not fixed, features they liked that are now ruined, things ICS should have had, etc. It won't solve all the 3G to 4G transition issues, nor the "no network" issues for everyone. Some will say it does, some will say no change, and some will say it's worse. Same for battery life, stability, reception, performance, and any other aspect. ICS is all about expectations and all the pre-release hype will only result in post-release trauma. Then folks will be clamoring for the next release which will fix everything! Then when most of us who got the Bionic the first day are eligible and switch, we'll move to a new forum while those stuck in this one will bemoan abandonment. I won't even bother saying "told you so".

Actually, most of us understand that there will be tradeoffs to be made. For me, I simply like the GB user interface better, ICS feels too much like Honeycomb to me. But the crucial thing it will bring us is TRUE multi-core support for the devices that a majority of us bought BECAUSE they are dual-core. Instead of simply using the second core as a "coprocessor", so to speak, the ICS kernel is truly multicore aware. Also, 2D will be hardware accelerated; not just 3D. Although there is only one app I can think of so far that requires the 2D acceleration to function (Chrome beta), I can see this changing in the future. I just feel it necessary that we be on the latest and greatest, so when app developers start taking advantage of these new features; we're not left with phones that cannot run these apps.

rbrill177

Reaction score

x2

Let's all just step back for a moment and say, "Nothing will ever be good enough for me, and even the next best thing will never really make me truly happy and content."

:)

Reaction score
It's not fair that the better phone is being treated like the red-headed child while the spoiled brat even got a twin. And don't get me started on the rumored pregnancy that another one is going to pop out that's supposed to be crisp and clear.

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Personally, I have got over it. Have had my Bionic since it was released and owned an OG before that. They've both been ok. There are nicer phones on the horizon. Bring on the quad-cores! Just say'n.

Sent from my butt-kick'n DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk2

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Personally, I have got over it. Have had my Bionic since it was released and owned an OG before that. They've both been ok. There are nicer phones on the horizon. Bring on the quad-cores! Just say'n.

Sent from my butt-kick'n DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk2

Yeah, that's pretty much my view. I got the OG Droid when it first came out and waited until August of the following year for Froyo. Didn't kill me to wait (although I did end up installing Froyo manually). My Bionic works fine and I'm not even rooted.

To the OP, I don't think this should be in the news section either as there's nothing official to back it up. Should there be a "Countdown for the Thunderbolt" as well because they're getting ICS at tome time?

OP
D

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
To the OP, I don't think this should be in the news section either as there's nothing official to back it up. Should there be a "Countdown for the Thunderbolt" as well because they're getting ICS at tome time?

I guess no one on these forums gets sarcasm, or the concept of a parody thread. This is a parody thread. It DOESN'T belong on the front page, if it did I would have PMed a moderator and requested it be moved. It was more a joke than anything, meant to stimulate discussion. It has received some responses, so it did its job.

Do remember to tell me how accepting you still are of being stuck on GB, once apps that REQUIRE 4.0+ start coming out, and we're stuck on 2.3 - at that point it will become a real inconvenience. And i'd like a refund from Motorola for the CPU core that my phone cannot properly use on an outdated OS.