Lenses for your Droid's camera?

ocholoco

Reaction score
I love photojojo & all their cool stuff. I found these lenses which can attach to any phone to enhance picture taking. Just an FYI for those want to trick out their camera.

79256dc.0000001281590229.jpg
Fisheye, Macro, and Wide Angle Camera Phone Lenses

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Cool, nice find. I been looking for these, but could only find ihone ones -_-

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Neat! I wonder if they work well. Are the pictures much better? Does it fit on most phones without falling off?

Edit: oh neat, it uses a magnet. Hm, one problem is that the flash on my droid is so close to the lens. I don't know if I could stick that magnet/lense on without blocking the flash.

Last edited:

jrp

Reaction score
that looks pretty sweet, I may pick up some and try them out :)

JimmyD

Reaction score
Neat! I wonder if they work well. Are the pictures much better? Does it fit on most phones without falling off?

Edit: oh neat, it uses a magnet. Hm, one problem is that the flash on my droid is so close to the lens. I don't know if I could stick that magnet/lense on without blocking the flash.

True; however, consider the "quality" of the LED flash on the Droid. I've found most pictures I take with the flash look worse than pictures I take without the flash!

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but I use the flashlight all the time. Perhaps the magnet can be trimmed a bit with a knife and not block the flash.

JimmyD

Reaction score
Yeah, but I use the flashlight all the time. Perhaps the magnet can be trimmed a bit with a knife and not block the flash.

Me too.. I always use the flashlight app.

I guess I misunderstood how this camera lens works? Do you have to attach a magnet permanently to your phone, then the lens attaches to that?

I thought that the magnet was affixed to the lens, then it simply, magnetically attaches to the phone... no?

JimmyD

Reaction score
Do you have to attach a magnet permanently to your phone, then the lens attaches to that?

Yes, I think so.

Yep... you're right (I didn't notice the link in the OP, but I just saw it and checked it out)....

This is from the website:

"They work with any camera phone and attaching them is easy breezy! A detachable magnetic ring sticks to your cell, providing a sturdy, shake-free hold between the lens and your phone."

You're right, I bet the magnet could be easily trimmed, but I wonder if the tiny bit of light that would leak in through that space would affect the picture at all? I'm very tempted to buy a set of these lenses simply out of curiosity! (Also, I don't have a camera besides my Droid camera! :icon_ goofy: My wife has a nice digi-cam, but it's always with her)

If I do buy these lenses, I will be sure to report back my experiences here and I'll also post up the pics I take through them for reference.

OP
ocholoco

ocholoco

Reaction score
I just ordered some for my droid. I think the ring is small enough that it won't block the LED light. I'll post on it once I get them.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the tiny bit of light that would leak in through that space would affect the picture at all?

Exactly what I was wondering. I'm almost positive that the light leakage would effect things...who knows? You might be able to trim it but leave a sliver to block the light.

Carol_in_FL

Reaction score
I see you posted this back in August 2010. Did you get the lenses for your Droid? If so, how did they work out? Did they interfere with the flash? Do you have a hard case on your Droid?

I don't know if you noticed, but I just wrote a post about these same Photojojo lenses. I just saw an article about them on msn.com and they sounded pretty good to me, but I was concerned that they wouldn't work with the hard case I have (Casemate) and I don't want to remove the case to use the lense. If the mounting ring doesn't fit inside the cutout for the camera and has to be mounted on the case, then I'm afraid because it's some distance away from the body of the phone, the lense won't work properly.