Lenovo to phase out the Motorola name

Powarun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Does that mean we will start seeing Razer tie ins as well? Since Razer is partnering with Lenovo.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
That is fairly shocking news to me. The Motorola name really is a prominent name in the mobile market.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
This coupled with the news that Lenovo is helping Google with the Project Tango phone...looks like they are making a lot of moves. I still call them Moto anyways so it isn't a big deal, and I'm glad they'll still be working on high to mid range phones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
First Google buys Motorola, strips them of patents then sells them to Lenovo, then Lenovo pimps out the name and dumps them the first chance they get.

I saw a movie like this once. Trade (a movie about trafficking)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
As usual....the tech media jumped on this story before they had the whole story. Turns out that not everything that has been written recently is 100% true. We will still see Motorola on packaging and licenses.

tommyz

Reaction score
It's sad what lenovo did to Motorola. My last Motorola phone was probably the original Moto X. I thought for sure the Org Moto X was going to start something great for Motorola.

Really too bad... Sad day for the smartphone industry.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It's sad what lenovo did to Motorola. My last Motorola phone was probably the original Moto X. I thought for sure the Org Moto X was going to start something great for Motorola.

I'm just curious, why is this a sad day? The Motorola name and new logo will still appear on their merchandise & packaging, the same CEO is staying in place (Rick O), the same engineering team will design phones..... They are just focusing on the re-branded name of Moto instead of the full Motorola.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm just curious, why is this a sad day? The Motorola name and new logo will still appear on their merchandise & packaging, the same CEO is staying in place (Rick O), the same engineering team will design phones..... They are just focusing on the re-branded name of Moto instead of the full Motorola.
Agreed. Imo, last year's (2015) Moto devices were all great. No reason to believe that won't continue. Lenovo put Moto in charge of their mobile division instead of phasing their people out & just using the name to do whatever they want.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Who is making communication equipment for military? Cellphones don't matter, Motorola was a minority player.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Who is making communication equipment for military? Cellphones don't matter, Motorola was a minority player.
I think Motorola split into two different companies a while back, Motorola and Motorola Mobility. I'm pretty sure Motorola still makes radios. Motorola Mobility was the cell phone company that will now be just Moto.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB

I must be missing something... What is it that Lenovo did to Motorola other than buying them and shortening the name to Moto?

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I must be missing something... What is it that Lenovo did to Motorola other than buying them and shortening the name to Moto?
They also handed the Lenovo phone division to Moto's control. ;) Sounds to me like they have at least a LITTLE faith in Moto.