Lenovo Lets Motorola Take Point on Mobile; Folds Its Own Smartphone Division Into Moto

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
motorola-and-lenovo-logo.jpg

Lenovo must be very confident in Motorola's ability to find success in the mobile world. According to their own recent press statement, Lenovo is going to fold its entire smartphone devision into one which will be under the umbrella of Motorola. They even plan to eventually shutter their own Lenovo Mobile (although it will likely not be discarded as a brand name), and current Lenovo Mobile employees will now join Motorola.

According to the source of this report, Lenovo shared that "Effective immediately, Rick Osterloh, formerly president, Motorola, will be the leader of the combined global smartphone business unit." Here's a quote with a few of the details,

As part of the restructure, Lenovo Mobile employees will join Motorola staff. Motorola, having higher headcount, will lead Lenovo Mobile team, report added. Lenovo Mobile's workshop will also be incorporated into Motorola Mobility. Once the merger is complete, Lenovo's ZUK will become the company's "flagship Internet brand" while Motorola will continue to sell high-end devices in international markets, where it has far more presence than Lenovo.

The reported statement is in line with official announcement made by the company for its latest quarterly results earlier this month. The company had then announced a restructuring of its Mobile Business Group (MBG), and said "it will continue to drive the overall mobile business, but will now rely on Motorola to design, develop and manufacture smartphone products."

Is this a wise move on Lenovo's part or is it putting too many eggs in one basket?

Source: Lenovo Begins Merging Mobile Business Group Into Motorola Mobility | NDTV Gadgets

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Motorola has a name already. At least in America. So I can see this being a good thing..but it could also be bad..what about their other markets and people who like lenovo? Will they just buy the Motorola device or will they think more along the line of...they merged...idk what it is I'm getting...it could go either way.

I hope moto will go on the up n up..

Last edited:

dtroup64

Reaction score
Can we fix the typo in the title? I couldn't understand it at first. It should be Lets not Let's.
Thanks! :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Can we fix the typo in the title? I couldn't understand it at first. It should be Lets not Let's.
Thanks! :)
Someone else got to it already but thanks for the notice.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I thought that was HTC.

no htc has stayed owned by the same company.... moto keeps getting shuffled around like no one wants it.

htc is the annoying kids no one wants to be friends with, except no one has the heart to tell him and hurt his feelings...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
no htc has stayed owned by the same company.... moto keeps getting shuffled around like no one wants it.

htc is the annoying kids no one wants to be friends with, except no one has the heart to tell him and hurt his feelings...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Google bought Moto for patents.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Google bought Moto for patents.
Yes they did, probably never had any intention of keeping them around for long. But it was good for all Android owners. A lot of the features and functions they acquired in that purchase were baked into Lollipop.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Moto being bought several times just shows they are sought after.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
But they're such a major player in the smartphone game! (sarcasm)
More so than a lot of these up and coming Chinese companies.. Their n6 didn't get a fair shake..IMHO.. And now they're already almost fielding a replacement??
Who nows..its probably some big picture thing I'm not seeing..