Lenovo Close to $3 Billion Deal to Buy Motorola from Google

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 29, 2014.

1. creaky

creaky Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Major bummer. I was hoping for a Google super phone with Moto's build quality and antennas. After 2 Samsung phones pooped the bed I'm done with them.

• Like Like x 1
  2. lloydstrans

lloydstrans Platinum Member

Ratings:
    +237
    Food for thought. The USofA has blocked both Huawei and ZTE from importing phones to these shores over security concerns about spying. With Snowden's revelations about the NSAs unscrupulousness. We should even be more leery of China's willingness to exact revenge. Just saying they may get banned here as well.

Sent from my DUM phone using Droid Forums

• Like Like x 1
  3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +791
    On the bright side, maybe Lenovo will put SD cards back into Moto phones!

This could be really good for Moto, and the consumers. If pc and phone are converging, I think Lenovo understands one size does not fit all and might give us the hardware combinations we keep crying for. Sure, Samsung and Sony sell computers, too, but Lenovo sells at least 3X as many as either of them.

4. xeene

xeene Silver Member

Ratings:
    +673
    So... Moto was pushing built in USA phones. Now that they will be owned by China, what will they say? Built in USA financed by the great Wall?

• Like Like x 1
  5. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Senior Member

Ratings:
    +214
    By far the worst news of the day that I've heard so far...and the day is almost over so I think this tops the list. My primary complaint is that so much of the PR spin that Google produced in buying Motorola's cell-phone division was just plain bunk. And even that would be OK, but consider: I've grown to really embrace the Moto X, and having watched Lenovo's PC line for the last two years, I'll tell you that we can kiss the X goodbye. I think the news will come in a variety of forms....first the rapid outflow of Googorola's design/development team, then leaks about designing the "revolutionary, new phone," and then finally, the chilling interview with US Lenovo executives basically saying, "Yeah, we really need to clean out the pipeline of previous phones and WOW will you be amazed with what we have coming after that."

Nah, I think I'll pass on that.

Anyway, someone PLEASE explain to me: Google sells Motorola Mobility for $2.9 billion. AND THEY BUY NEST (THE "SMART" THERMOSTAT COMPANY) FOR $3.2 BILLION?!??!?!?! Have they lost their minds?

-Matt

• Like Like x 1
  6. jspradling7

jspradling7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +214
    Those poor Moto employees.

"GOOGLE bought us?!! Oh crap!"

tick-toc-tick-toc...

"China bought us??? Son of a beech!"

• Like Like x 2
  7. RETG

RETG Active Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Well, guess my next phone will be LG or maybe HTC. No more Motos for me; not with them owned by Lenova. They make junk laptops, even their higher end. Even my employer dropped them after two years due to the problems and went back to Dell.

8. Preach2k

Preach2k DF News Team Premium Member

Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +417
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 4
    Twitter:
    DroidNCState
    So does this mean Moto is going down? I am glad I stuck with Samsung!!!

9. cybertec69

cybertec69 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +318
    The phones will be build in China, too expensive to build them here in the USA.

10. Hodor

Hodor Active Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Lenovo just bought IBM's xSeries server business too. What is going on here? Is everything being sold to China? As long as they stay an American based company, my next phone will be an Apple. I LOVE my Motorola phones. They will be cheap junk in no time now that Lenovo is getting their hands on them. Just look at where the Thinkpad has gone since IBM sold their pc business to Lenovo.

Bah, all the spying, crappy apps, Google finally revealing their evil self, the whole smartphone thing is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth anyway, the novelty is wearing off.

-end of rant-

• Like Like x 2
  11. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +4,304
    Well the public has spoken that they want a smart phone at nexus (affordable) prices. Problem is the affordable we want can not sustain an american factory of workers making American wages. I hate that Motorola (an American company) is now owned by China, but did we really think Motorola would have been able to make profits from r&d making new phones while selling them at half the price as a Samsung, HTC, Apple, or a LG smartphone?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 4
  12. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +89
    Huh, guess I'm in the minority here. Frankly Moto was a horrible investment from day one, and has been a skid mark in Google's underwear ever since. Google only ever wanted the patents anyhow, and honestly I was less than impressed with anything they've turned out since the merger.

I'm thinking more like...good riddance to be honest. It's not good for domestic competition, but what's good for Google is good for all of us IMO.