Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I switched to T-mo a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier. I get great coverage here.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I switched to T-mo a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier. I get great coverage here.
I did too in 99% of my world but I have a daughter that travels inter state for work, she got creamed by a tractor trailer on the highway in WVa (she's fine) and I was without signal or roaming on AT&T for far too many hours for me to stick with them. Most of the trip I couldn't talk to her, the hospital, the police, the insurance company , etc. Couldn't even text her. 15 hour drive,I had signal about the first 2 and last 2 hours of the drive.
I fully subscribe to the following in just about all aspects of my life.; It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You have to physically bring it back to an official t-mobile store.

Which sucks for me cause the closest one is 2 hours one way drive.
For future reference no corporate store in that amount of distance is usually a good indicator their signal won't work for you. ;)

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I tried t-mobile once. About a year ago.. I grabbed a note 3 just to check out their network.. Vzw was having "billing issues" .. It seems like I had a billing issue every November for the previous 3 years.. I'd get some sort of equipment charge for a device I didn't buy or order.. So I'd wind up with a 1000$ bill.. I'd had enough.. (they've always found the problem and fixed it.. But its still annoying as can be)

T-mobile's service area was really small.. I didn't have squat for service at my house.. And that was a major problem.. I kept the phone for less than a day.. Returned it.. Then they sent me a bill for 145$ for data I used...????? A quick call and a reminder that I only had the phone for a few hours, made that go away... After having to tell them all of that, 5 different times..

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You have to physically bring it back to an official t-mobile store.

Which sucks for me cause the closest one is 2 hours one way drive.
That's even better than having to mail it in, for me at least, since there are plenty of T-Mo stores around my area.

I wouldn't mind giving the network a shot if I could choose something other than an iPhone. The iPhone would ruin the whole experience for me.

OP
Mike8016

Mike8016

Reaction score
Mike, I don't understand a few things.

Why didn't you do the test drive first?

Also, if you had a newer VZ phone, you could have popped in that TMO sim and had a half-judgemental viewpoint of TMO. My wife switched from ATT. She loves it. I popped in the sim into my note 3. I didn't have the best coverage. Granted, I was missing a band that she had, but, even us being together and going to some of those places she'd drop to E while I was still LTE.

Finally, the return fee should be only $50, and not $75. Dunno if it's because you could have bought the phones from a 3rd party source that made it higher though. You might wanna call customer service and alert them about that. They might waive it for you.

The one thing about TMO is that they WILL waive stuff. The thing I still loathe is how I tried signing up for TMO last year via a rep on a message board and he bofangaled all my contact info up! Then, my phones were backordered, BUT, my bills weren't. So, I was racking up hundreds of dollars while waiting on stuff I never received! Took various phone calls, but they finally zero'd me out. Even sent TMO a letter to remove the hard credit pull and they did. I apperciated that..

I did the test drive but I never used it for phone calls just data. I messed up doing that. It was only 50 actually. My box told me it was going to be a 75 dollar restocking but when I went in it was 50

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm a VZW mark anyway, however I will not go to a "cheaper" plan because it's cheaper, I need reliable service for when I'm travelling, at home or at work. I never want to get into a situation like mountainbikermark had in WV in an emergency situation. I am happy to pay a bit more. In this area, T-M, Sprint and AT&T are all inferior to the network of VZW. In the building I work in, none of the 4 major cell companies had reliable service. That all changed about 3 months ago when a tower was put up literally across the street from our building. After a quick Google search, and to my delight, it was a VZW tower! Now I have 4G and never a problem surfing, texting or making reliable calls in the building. In fact, what's really funny is I can look around at someone and know they're on another carrier because they look like they're trying to take selfies, when in fact all they're trying to do is find signal :)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of you. I highly recommend anyone thinking about switching over to try it out first. I kept my VZW line open when I tried att that way I did not lose my unlimited data. Turned out the first time I tried it out att's LTE was still lacking so I paid the restocking fee (which ended up getting waved) and kept my VZW going. A year later I gave att another try and the LTE was much better plus people I knew on att did not have any issues. At that point I tried it for a period and had no issues with drops or anything so then decided to make the switch.
With wireless service it all depends on where you live and what coverage is available. At most you will spend is a $30 restocking fee but that is better than losing unlimited data if you still have it and the VZW rep now forcing you on tiered when you go back.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk 2

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's even better than having to mail it in, for me at least, since there are plenty of T-Mo stores around my area.

I wouldn't mind giving the network a shot if I could choose something other than an iPhone. The iPhone would ruin the whole experience for me.
They'll "sell" you a SIM card for $10 worth a 7 day return window. It's what I did before going back and buying a phone. I used the SIM card in my Note2

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm a VZW mark anyway, however I will not go to a "cheaper" plan because it's cheaper, I need reliable service for when I'm travelling, at home or at work. I never want to get into a situation like mountainbikermark had in WV in an emergency situation. I am happy to pay a bit more. In this area, T-M, Sprint and AT&T are all inferior to the network of VZW. In the building I work in, none of the 4 major cell companies had reliable service. That all changed about 3 months ago when a tower was put up literally across the street from our building. After a quick Google search, and to my delight, it was a VZW tower! Now I have 4G and never a problem surfing, texting or making reliable calls in the building. In fact, what's really funny is I can look around at someone and know they're on another carrier because they look like they're trying to take selfies, when in fact all they're trying to do is find signal :)
My wife, on Verizon, had almost as bad of signal as me . She lost it about the state line and had spotty coverage, mostly not, until we got almost back into Virginia. She has an iPhone 4 so that might be part of her lack of signal ;)
We had AT&T roaming on mine more than anybody else. If you've ever driven those mountain roads the only way anybody would have solid signal the entire way would be if they had a tower every mile or less. In towns there was signal, along the highway there was not for Verizon and T-Mobile was dead the entire state plus a part of Virginia. Only AT&T had signal on the highways and it was in and out as we crossed mountains.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus

They sent us an iPhone 5S. They put a hold on your credit card for the cost of the phone, but you receive no charges for the test drive for voice,data, and texting.

The hold on the card was dropped as soon as we turned in the phone to our local Tmo store. There is a link on their web page which will show you authorized stores that can accept the phone.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yeah I considered it at one point since I'm on a family plan right now. Was thinking of going to another carrier for selection of phones, but I don't know if I want to sacrifice the coverage of Verizon for my preferred choice of phone (the z3 compact). Was looking at AT&T too, but maybe I'll take a look once my contract with Verizon is up in July.