Leaving Verizon I think... Where to go?

StephenWVU

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am a student at WVU and my service in Morgantown is about as bad as it gets. I hear US Cellular has great service and AT&T does too. There is sprint here and I have a friend who has it and also says good things.. Any recommendations? What are the best of the phones on each provider mentioned?

Thanks guys!

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest you go to the mall and stop at the stores and check them out. VZW is rolling out 4G and it is my understanding that WV is getting some of the first coverage in the nation. You might want to hold off for a little bit.

OP
S

StephenWVU

Reaction score
I was considering holding off for a bit, but I am literally only receiving 20% of my calls... Bad if you are trying to obtain internships and such! haha... They have also been saying they would get 3g in Morgantown for ever from what I have seen. Any idea how long I would be holding out? Is this an over the next two months sort of thing or is this a 2 years later kind of thing?

Thanks!

OP
S

StephenWVU

Reaction score
Just did some research and it is looking like the 4G will arrive in 2013... =(

OP
S

StephenWVU

Reaction score
So anyone familiar with which cell phone provider has the best service (including WVU)

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sprint has the EVO - great device, I am not sure of there coverage in your area though

OP
S

StephenWVU

Reaction score
3G is good in the area but I wouldn't have the 4G =(
Think it is worth paying for the 4G device w/o the ability to use 4G? I will search for if there are plans to get 4g soon!

OP
S

StephenWVU

Reaction score
"Verizon Wireless’ 4G launch plans in West Virginia include:

Deployment of 4G LTE to a portion of downtown Charleston by the end of this year.
Complete 4G LTE coverage of downtown Charleston by mid-2011.
Expansion of 4G coverage to include Huntington, Parkersburg, Wheeling, Weirton, Beckley, Clarksburg, Morgantown, Fairmont and Martinsburg by the end of 2013."

That is from Verizon Announce Plans To Launch 4G In 10 West Virginia Metropolitan Areas | Doddridge News

SGTiger

Reaction score
"Verizon Wireless’ 4G launch plans in West Virginia include:

Deployment of 4G LTE to a portion of downtown Charleston by the end of this year.
Complete 4G LTE coverage of downtown Charleston by mid-2011.
Expansion of 4G coverage to include Huntington, Parkersburg, Wheeling, Weirton, Beckley, Clarksburg, Morgantown, Fairmont and Martinsburg by the end of 2013."

That is from Verizon Announce Plans To Launch 4G In 10 West Virginia Metropolitan Areas | Doddridge News

Wow. I had no idea it would take that long. They said it was an aggressive rollout, but that doesn't sound so aggressive.

OP
S

StephenWVU

Reaction score
I thought it was my phone 2 phones ago... Unless it is specifically Motorola Droid Originals (which I would not understand), it is my service. Verizon has 0 towers in Morgantown and you actually have to leave the city to activate a phone if you get a new one. It is pretty shotty. I have PERFECT service back home which is in another part of WV with 3 G all over. However, if I am expecting calls doing group projects and things of the such, I cannot deal with not receiving calls.

OP
S

StephenWVU

Reaction score
I cannot find anything on Sprint getting 4g any time soon and the phones I would want from Sprint are 4G and of course for that reason cost I think around $10 a month more.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
What service do your fellow students and faculty use. I would believe their input would have more validity than ours.

OP
S

StephenWVU

Reaction score
I guess I will figure that out tomorrow! I will post an update on this and see what phone you guys recommend! Thanks everyone !dancedroid