Leaving the iPhone army questions

dcmem

Reaction score
Happy Saturday.

My ATT iPhone contract runs out July 9 and I am switching to Verizon (better coverage in my area). I've decided to go Android instead of iPhone. There is something attractive about not being a clone.

I've got some friends who are really high on HTC so I'm looking at the Inc2 or a TB. TB seems to be an overall more powerful phone, but it's so stinking big. I need to play with them both a bit.

My question is whether I am going to feel stuck in the past for 2 years missing out on updates and new OS with the Inc2 (obviously aside from 4G). I don't want to be wishing for a new phone I'm immediately after signing the contract.

Thoughts?

I have a lot of Android learning to do for switching from my iPhone. Any recommended reading?

Thanks,

DC

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Happy Saturday.

My ATT iPhone contract runs out July 9 and I am switching to Verizon (better coverage in my area). I've decided to go Android instead of iPhone. There is something attractive about not being a clone.

I've got some friends who are really high on HTC so I'm looking at the Inc2 or a TB. TB seems to be an overall more powerful phone, but it's so stinking big. I need to play with them both a bit.

My question is whether I am going to feel stuck in the past for 2 years missing out on updates and new OS with the Inc2 (obviously aside from 4G). I don't want to be wishing for a new phone I'm immediately after signing the contract.

Thoughts?

I have a lot of Android learning to do for switching from my iPhone. Any recommended reading?

Thanks,

DC

Well, if 4G is a big deal for you then get the TB. I just got my hands on one this morning, my wife got it. She has very small hands and it's no problem for her.

As far as OS updates go we never really know when they are coming until maybe when things start leaking. But I'm positive TB will get upgraded to Gingerbread. Beyond that, I don't know.

Your biggest issue with an Android phone may be that every few months they come out with something new and you may feel left out, or even ripped off. That's just the way it goes, there is always going to be a new phone that's better.

I read that Virgin Mobil when it launches will have "virgin" Android. In other words the manufactures and provider won't monkey with the software. That would make the phone very capable of receiving updates, and it will be totally customizable. No locked down bootloader.

anguish

Reaction score
If you're sticking with Verizon, and don't need 4G, I think you'll find the Incredible 2 is a great phone. If you need 4G, the Thunderbolt is a good option. I don't know about the others.

That said, 4G/LTE is still in its infancy. I've read of enough problems with it that I'm holding off before I go with a 4G capable phone.

Reaction score
And if you think you'll feel locked down for 2 years and want another device before that then buy the phone at full retail price and you can change phones if something you really gotta have comes out in the next 2 years. You'll be surprised how high the resale value is for smart phones if you keep them in good condition.