Leaving battery on charger??

jdinero122

Reaction score
All,

I usually charge my phone at night, i put it on the charger when i go to bed, no matter how much life i have left and I take it off in the moring. I leave the phone on/display off during this incase I get any calls.

By lunchtime, it is usually down to about 50% from just sitting around mostly. I check things on it occasionally and talk for the 1 hr ride into work. By the end of the work day, it is usually about down to 20-30% and i talk for my ride home.

That being said, I used to have a Palm and when i was sitting here at work, i would just leave it plugged in all day. I have read mixed things on the sites about leaving the Droid plugged in. Same in the car, when i was in the car, i woudl just plug it in fo rmy car rides to charge whil ei was on the phone.

My question is this: Is there any harm in me leaving it plugged into the wall all day while i am hear at work (and or my car while driving) so that I can ensure it has enough charge for my evening before bed?

Thanks!

Jennifer
dancedroid

DroidToro

Reaction score
I'm no expert but i do know that modern phones tend to be 'smart' about how batteries are charged. When it comes to charging, the biggest problem is heat. It can destroy the battery and even the phone if it is high enough. Most modern charging circuits monitor heat and battery voltage levels. Maybe some smarter people can chime in here but i think the short answer is "no problem"

Liberated Droid X

DroidToro

Reaction score
Btw, you might also consider getting an external charger and spare batteries. This way you always have a charged cell. You just switch the dead battery with a freshly charged one at night and in the morning. I even carry a spare charged battery in my wallet in case i am out long into the night and the phone dies just as I'm drunk dialing my ex.. well, that's a good thing but then I need to call a cab.. if I can just the battery swapped before i fall down.

Liberated Droid X

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
no problem indeed. my droid 2 is almost always plugged in, only time it isnt is if i'm out and about.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Old batteries had a "memory" about how much was a full charge so charging half charged or leaving it on the charger use to be a bad thing. Not anymore, modern batteries are ok to charge wherever and leave on a charger.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App