Learning New Phone

Discussion in 'Samsung Fascinate' started by hbradshaw, Sep 17, 2010.

1. hbradshaw

hbradshaw New Member

Hello:

I just bought the Samsung Fascinate Galaxy phone. I have a few questions on usage/features.

1. Using the Contacts app that comes with the phone, is there a way to sort the contacts by last name? I can't seem to find the setting that allows you to do a sort.

2. I have MP3 files that I used as ringtones on my old phone. I have the MP3's on my laptop. How do I copy the MP3 files from my laptop onto the phone?

3. Every time the phone goes into "sleep" mode, you have to click the power button on the side of the unit. Is there a way that you can "wake" up the phone by just tapping the screen? When you are driving a car, it is tough and dangerous to be locating an on/off button to wake up the phone.....which brings to the next question....

4. After you wake up the phone, you have to swipe the screen to start using the phone. Right now, my only two options for using the phone is either to set the swipe to puzzle pieces or glass. Is there a way in which you can use neither and just either tap the phone or do nothing at all? Does anyone know if this type of functionality can be added?

Thanks for all of your help.
  2. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

I'm not sure about what os is on the Fascinate (2.1 or 2.2). I know in 2.2 when you are in the window with the contacts listed if you hit the menu key it will have an option for sorting and for which to sort by (last/first).
    The "power/wake" button is the only thing i know of to wake the phone.
    However I just downloaded "no lock" from the market and that comes in handy as it allows you to bypass the lockscreen from a homescreen widget (on/off).

Hope some of this helps.

And welcome!
  3. hbradshaw

hbradshaw New Member

Hi,

I'm running the Droid OS. I believe the version is 2.1. Is the 2.2 version out? If so, how do I update my phone with the new version of the software. When I press the Menu button within Contacts, I do not have a sort with my version of the OS.

I don't know if updating the OS varies by service provider. I have my phone with Verizon.
  4. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

It may be a Samsung change that is causing it to be different.

All of the manufacturers put their own little spin on things. 2.2 will most likely be an OTA (over the air) update to your phone. You shouldn't have to do anything until it says theres an update available.
  5. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Welcome to the Forum and Congrats on the Fascinate :)

2.2 is not on the Fascinate quite yet, and as far as your music, plug in your device to your computer, pull down the notification panel, select Mass Storage (or something) create a folder called music and drag your folders over
  6. Gadgetguitar

Gadgetguitar New Member

Not sure on the last name sort.

Just as stated earlier, hook up USB then pull down notification, select mount (USB Mass Storage). I sync all my music from Window Media Player, just open Media Player and it will recognize as a sync music device, right click on your music and select add to sync list. Once sync you can add/remove as you please.

Power button only.

Not sure if there is away around the swipe puzzle piece.
  7. bomber889

bomber889 New Member

why are you even using your phone in the car while driving in the first place.