Leaked screenshot shows Verizon shared data plans may be coming soon

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
vzwFamilyDataCal.png

The above screenshot was supposedly leaked from Verizon, and clearly suggests that Big Red may be nearing the roll-out of shared data plans. The pic looks like an online calculator that would help customers figure out whether/which shared data plan is right for them. Unfortunately, the pic doesn't give any real pricing details, so anything more would be pure speculation. But, it at least shows that Verizon is working on the back-end parts of the process and may be ready to launch the service on schedule (they previously indicated a likely mid-2012 launch cycle).

Now, be under no illusion, any new data plan may help reduce some costs for families, but don't fool yourself into thinking that Verizon will throw away profit. More than likely, a combined family data plan will only go so far. Verizon will find some way of enticing those extra dollars out of your wallets. These data plans will likely be marketed as a way to sell even more tablets, smartphones and services to consumers. Make your comments known.

Source: PhoneArena

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
My wife and I both have a data plan and that is $60 a month. The two of us combined, we rarely, if ever, get close to 2gigs total. We are always in places where wifi is available. If they were to offer a 5 gig plan for families for $30, I'd take it.

Riley

Reaction score
My wife won't get a smart phone because she doesn't want our bill to go uop another $30 and I am always under 2 GB on my phone even though I'm under the old unlimited plan. If she could get a smartphone and share my $30 data plan to keep the bill the same she might go for it!

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My wife won't get a smart phone because she doesn't want our bill to go uop another $30 and I am always under 2 GB on my phone even though I'm under the old unlimited plan. If she could get a smartphone and share my $30 data plan to keep the bill the same she might go for it!

They will never allow you to share the old unlimited plan.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

geoff5093

Reaction score
I'm sure it will be something like $30 for a 2GB plan (4GB on the double data special), and $9.99 for every additional device you want to add to that data plan.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Verizon wants to compete with other carrier shared data plans. They also want to scoop up those of us on unlimited data plans. My wife has 4gb and I have unlimited so to possibly give her more for less I would likely have to sacrifice my unlimited, uhh I don't think so lol. Many in the same situation as myself or with many more lines that add up, this would be a tempting offer if they have reasonable data vs pricing plans. Should get interesting.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I feel REALLY ambivalent about this. On the one hand, like several of you I'm already in for 2 unlimited plans at $60, yet our total data is under 1GB a month. I would consider swapping down to $30 -- for 2GB, maybe not -- but I would pay $40 for 5GB. :)

A related note: I rarely tether (2 Droid 3s) but our internet went out last week, and to keep my family from going insane AND killing me, I decided to run 2 family computers off of PdaNet with the phones. It wouldn't surprise me if in 7 days we used 2-3GB. Now that wouldn't be a regular occurrence, but having the convenience and an "unlimited" plan is pretty reassuring. (I guess in 2-3 years, when unlimited is gone, it won't make a difference!)

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

I'm pretty sure the "I am always under 2GB" comment means he knows unlimited+shared isn't happening. :)

-Matt

Riley

Reaction score

Of course not. That's just what I have now. I'd switch to a new limited shared plan for my wife to get a smartphone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

badazz74

Reaction score
Might be a good idea for some but it's surly a way to relieve you of the unlimited data plan. I'm holding on to that till they make me give it up.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would give up Italian food before giving up our 5 liines of unlimited family share data, which we get $20 off each line per month.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I would give up Italian food before giving up our 5 liines of unlimited family share data, which we get $20 off each line per month.
OK: you HAD to know there was no way you could use the "$20 off each line" and not get the "HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE???" question. ;) So 'splain yourself.

(I get an 18% corporate discount off of one line...)

And did you mean to say "family SHARE data" or was that a Freudian slip?

-Matt