Leaked Pics of a Red Version of the Motorola Droid Ultra Appear Online

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ultra_Red-500x460.png

Look what we have here! Previously we have seen leaked pics of the upcoming Motorola Droid Ultra, but those were in the typical Kevlar black. This new leaked pic shows the new Moto flagship decked out in a red outfit. We have to admit, this is a pretty sexy looking device. There's obviously no word on whether it will come at the initial launch, or show up a couple months later as a "special edition."

Of course, if it doesn't show up during the initial launch, at least we know of its existence so anyone who covets this crimson version can opt to wait a bit.

Source: TheUnlockr

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I actually like how that looks!

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
i agree, vn look, i would go for that :)

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
I love the look of it, but it needs on screen buttons.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I love the look of it, but it needs on screen buttons.

What are the advantages of on screen buttons? They seem to be a disadvantage to me, as they just take up screen space. I prefer the off screen buttons of my old Droid and current Inc2 to the on screen buttons of my Galaxy Tab 2. Seriously, are there advantages to on screen buttons?

I do like the looks of this phone. Now to see what the price is and if I want to wait for it.

Last edited:

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
On screen buttons may seem to take up space, but only when screen space is not an issue. When you are watching a movie or playing a game, they go away. Having on screen buttons does not mean that the screen is smaller. Manufacturers make the screens larger for the thought process of "it takes away screen space." If you think about it, having on screen buttons actually makes the screen larger because of this reason. My Nexus has a 4.65" screen with on screen buttons so when it is at the home screen, I have a 4.3" screen, but when I watch a movie, I have a 4.65" screen. A manufacturer can also make the phone smaller and simpler with on screen buttons for example the Razr M.

With on screen buttons you can change how many there are, which ones there are, hide them so they only show when you want them to, or to not have them at all and use something else, such as pie controls. With captive buttons you are limited to what the manufacturer puts on the phone.

I had captive buttons on my Bionic and I have on screen buttons on my GNex and will never go back to captive buttons again after using on screen buttons. I also think that it makes the phone look cleaner. I guess to each his own.

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
View attachment 64803 View attachment 64804

Just think how much more screen you would have if they took the captive buttons off and made the screen go all the way down. You would have a bigger screen for when you watch videos, or could hide the buttons and have a bigger screen all the time. I have provided a screenshot of my nexus showing on screen buttons vs hidden on screen buttons.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Compare phones with on and off screen buttons. The area below the screen is no different with either. Look at the Galaxy S3 vs the RAZR HD in the photo here:
Samsung Galaxy S III vs. Motorola Droid RAZR HD
The area below the screen is the same for both, so that negates the argument that the screen is bigger. Nothing is gained and area is lost with on screen buttons. Compare the photo above of the Ultra with off screen buttons to a photo of the RAZR HD with on screen buttons and you will see that the area below the screen is the same for both. On screen buttons have nothing to gain and all to lose.

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
Like I said, to each his own. Yes the area is the same on both, but they could bring the screen down. Samsung does do a good job of squeezing in the buttons on the bottom with no bezel, but is slightly longer than the Razr, not by much. However, my argument is not negated because when you look at two phones with the same form factor, Razr and Razr HD, you can see that the Razr has a 4.3" screen with captive buttons and the Razr HD has a 4.7" screen (.4" larger) with on screen buttons to replicate the 4.3" screen with almost the exact same exterior dimensions. So when watching a movie you have a 4.7" screen and when on the home screen or in apps you have at least a 4.3" and possibly a 4.7" if you choose to hide the on screen buttons if you are not using them.

razr-vs-razr-hd1.jpg

I prefer the on screen buttons so I can change them and I also think it looks cleaner.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This ^ also means that in order to have the standard 16:10 aspect ratio for viewing videos in landscape view, the phones with off-screen buttons must be narrower (as shown above), with the same length as the viewable screen portion of the screen with on-screen buttons to achieve the same aspect ratio. In contrast, the screen with on-screen buttons simply hides the buttons and gains the additional viewing length, negating the need to be narrower to achieve the desired aspect ratio. There are advantages to devoted off-screen buttons. First, if the screen is acting up, you can still get to the buttons and regain control of the phone. The off-screen buttons can be back-lit separately as they are on my RAZR MAXX, whereas the on-screen buttons can be "lit" with the screen, but that's dependent on the screen being on.

KaChow

Reaction score
Maybe this will be the Developers Edition. :icon_ devil:

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
The speaker is the three little dots at the bottom of the back plate, kind of off center.