Leaked FRG22 Update Available for Rooted Droid 1

solution

Reaction score
It was the OTA that nearly bricked the phone in question. Pushed to the phone, attempted reboot, epic fail.

Took RSDLite and the 2.0.1 SBF and the 2.1 update 1 update.zip file to bring it back to stock, along with some help from the Rescue Squad. Just goes to show there's risk in ANY update. Your best bet would be to wait for the OTA and then go to your local VZW store and ask them to install it for you. Hopefully they'll have the tools and training to fix it if something goes wrong. :) If not, well, it was their software that screwed your phone up and you'll get a replacement ASAP.

I'm sorry, but there is no such thing as "nearly bricked". It either is bricked, or it isn't bricked. And if you were able to use RSDLite to flash an SBF, then that only means one thing, it wasn't bricked.

Once something like a phone/console/PC/etc. is bricked, there is no coming back or saving it. Bricked = forever.
I apologize if my terminology isn't meeting your exacting standards, but Verizon is replacing the phone because the reps in the store he took it to couldn't fix it. +1, +2, and +10 for the rescue squad pulling the phone out of the fire. Hence the nearly part. :)

The moral of the story was that there's risk in any flashing/updating situation.

I'm thinking of The Princess Bride at this point. "Mostly Dead". Maybe I should have put it like that, yes? ;)

It's not bricked, it's only Mostly Bricked. dancedroid

No, your absolutely correct in using that term. The other probably had a bad day and is trying to obtain any dignity he could find and I guess he tried to find it in splitting hairs with you. You brick ur droid.? You you can use rsd lite to try to unbrick it. You brick a psp? You can try a pandora battery to unbrick it. You brick a mobo? Slap a bios card to reflash and tada! You get the picture.

What "brick" really means is that yoy screwed your piece of hardware so bad that the common consumer can't fix it. But any experienced technician or hobbyist will tell you brick definitely does not = forever.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Z

ZeroBarrier

No, your absolutely correct in using that term. The other probably had a bad day and is trying to obtain any dignity he could find and I guess he tried to find it in splitting hairs with you. You brick ur droid.? You you can use rsd lite to try to unbrick it. You brick a psp? You can try a pandora battery to unbrick it. You brick a mobo? Slap a bios card to reflash and tada! You get the picture.

What "brick" really means is that yoy screwed your piece of hardware so bad that the common consumer can't fix it. But any experienced technician or hobbyist will tell you brick definitely does not = forever.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Do you even know where the term "brick" even comes from??? When used in reference to consumer electronics, "brick" describes a device that cannot function in any capacity (such as a device with damaged firmware, if you're using a pandora battery to fix your PSP, then you originally didn't really brick it). This usage derives from the fact that these electronic devices that do not function are useful only as actually bricks (or a paper weight, whichever you prefer).

I'm still laughing at the "that the common consumer can't fix it" bit, seriously.

I've been using custom ROMs on my PSP since the very early days (hell my PSP is the one I bought from launch day), and I can tell you that if you use a pandora battery to fix your PSP, then it isn't bricked to begin with.

Again, to brick any device is to render it's functionality useless. Not me, you, any of the Devs, the rescue squad, or a Motorola technician can fix a bricked Droid.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, this FRG22 eats more internal phone storage. My previous FRG01B had 97Mb free, updating it dropped to 59 ... Still monitoring battery life, which IMO was better prior...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Voice Search

I found out late last night that voice search was force closing on me. If any of you are having this issue, the download has been fixed to resolve this issue. All you need to do is go back to MDW and reinstall the fixed file.

I don't know if anything else was fixed, I do know that according to Miami P3 made some changes. So you may want to install over what you have now and see if things are working better for you.

I still see a hesitation when I get to Voice Search. It's not as quick responding but nevertheless it is working now. Just an FYI for everybody.

Schoat333

Reaction score
This Updated seems to work well with the stock Kernel, but anytime I try to update to any of the foyo OC kernels, Chevy's or p3's, I start to have problems with some programs not working anymore. Mainly Google translate. It works fine if I leave the stock kernel tho.

Can canybody confirm that google translate does not work when you add an OC kernel after installing this build? I always get "translation error" in red.

markwebb

Reaction score
Yes, this FRG22 eats more internal phone storage. My previous FRG01B had 97Mb free, updating it dropped to 59 ... Still monitoring battery life, which IMO was better prior...

Yes, my battery life is terrible. I went to sleep last night and my battery was 80%: I woke up this AM and it was 10% and I had no widgets running. Normally, it would only decrease 10-20% at worst.

I may change an OC kernel to see if that helps.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
This Updated seems to work well with the stock Kernel, but anytime I try to update to any of the foyo OC kernels, Chevy's or p3's, I start to have problems with some programs not working anymore. Mainly Google translate. It works fine if I leave the stock kernel tho.

Can canybody confirm that google translate does not work when you add an OC kernel after installing this build? I always get "translation error" in red.

I noticed that as well! But, I am not too concerned about it being that Saphhire 1.0 dropped yesterday!!!

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yes, my battery life is terrible. I went to sleep last night and my battery was 80%: I woke up this AM and it was 10% and I had no widgets running. Normally, it would only decrease 10-20% at worst.

I may change an OC kernel to see if that helps.

I'm not sure that will help, I'm using the exact same P3 kernal and setup that I had for the FRG01B, which had no issues with battery .... That, plus noticing the internal storage loss has me thinking of going back to my backup of FRG01B until this may be sorted out. The plus however is that this build does fly...

johnzenobia

Reaction score
I ran this update and all seems to work fine except the voice search. I use the voice search a lot because I am in the car a lot. Rom manager has the FRG01 rom with root access under the download rom section stock images. Just flashed it and so far all works well and Root access.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I ran this update and all seems to work fine except the voice search. I use the voice search a lot because I am in the car a lot. Rom manager has the FRG01 rom with root access under the download rom section stock images. Just flashed it and so far all works well and Root access.

Run it again over what you currently have. Some changes have been made to the file and now voice search works.

markwebb

Reaction score
That, plus noticing the internal storage loss has me thinking of going back to my backup of FRG01B until this may be sorted out. The plus however is that this build does fly...

I may do the same. Shame, this build flies but there seem to be quite a few quirks.

Schoat333

Reaction score

I noticed that as well! But, I am not too concerned about it being that Saphhire 1.0 dropped yesterday!!!

Ok, I'm just glad its not only me. :)

I know google translate is not really an important app, but I do use it just for fun sometimes. Especially since it will speak for you. It makes for fun when your sitting around a camp fire with nothing better to do ;)

I may try out the ne Sapphire, but i'll wait to see how it works for everyone first.

johnzenobia

Reaction score
Is there a new download for it? The FRG01 seems to be running ok. Do you think verizon will send a new update patch for the FRG01 update? I dont think there was any issue with the froyo update for them to suspend it for now, its all about selling new devices such as the droid 2 has to have something the droid 1 doesn't. Doesn't matter to me :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try downloading again

If you are having issues with FRG22 try go back to MDW, and download it again and reinstall over what you currently have. Changes have been made to the download by P3. See if this doesn't address your concerns.

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Ok, I'm just glad its not only me. :)

I know google translate is not really an important app, but I do use it just for fun sometimes. Especially since it will speak for you. It makes for fun when your sitting around a camp fire with nothing better to do ;)

I may try out the ne Sapphire, but i'll wait to see how it works for everyone first.

I am having the same issue with google translate and the kernel that came with ROM. My voice search works fine though.