Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The Droid X has had its recovery image hacked and replaced, so wohoo wohoo for people who want it.

For those of us paying attention, the bootloader on the Droid 1 was updated in many of the OTA updated phones so that custom recovery images are replaced on a reboot with the stock. What does that mean to you? The problem's being worked on by a the wizard who figured out how to make SBF files outside of a Motorola laboratory, but the fact is that even without a locked bootloader the people over at Moto/Verizon/Google can still mess with us.

Last edited by a moderator:

mattg1

Reaction score
The Droid X has had its recovery image hacked and replaced, so wohoo wohoo for people who want it.

For those of us paying attention, the bootloader on the Droid 1 was updated in many of the OTA updated phones so that custom recovery images are replaced on a reboot with the stock. What does that mean to you? The problem's being worked on by a the wizard who figured out how to make SBF files outside of a Motorola laboratory, but the fact is that even without a locked bootloader the people over at Moto/Verizon/Google can still mess with us.

Really, first I have heard of this. I got the OTA and run rooted stock with CW recovery, and not run into this very interesting. I would also like know if there may be a chance to get the second froyo leak :icon_eek:

lemkeant

Reaction score
I can understand this, but it still sucks.

If anyone has the new leak (FRG22D I understand?), feel free to pm it to me :)

lilliboss

Reaction score
Earlier today I recoverec my Droid to 2.0 ,getting ready for factory updates, non rooted. I had no longer finished the process (app 2:00 pm Sunday) when I received a OTA from Verizon taking me to FRG01B so the upgrade is in progress which may help explain their attetude.

tehpriest

Reaction score
Earlier today I recoverec my Droid to 2.0 ,getting ready for factory updates, non rooted. I had no longer finished the process (app 2:00 pm Sunday) when I received a OTA from Verizon taking me to FRG01B so the upgrade is in progress which may help explain their attetude.

Droid or Droid X ?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

Really, first I have heard of this. I got the OTA and run rooted stock with CW recovery, and not run into this very interesting. I would also like know if there may be a chance to get the second froyo leak :icon_eek:
It's not every phone, either, OTA-updated or manually, though it seems to be isolated to some OTA-updated phones. The problem is almost licked, though -- the fix is in final testing as I type this.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Doh forgot I cannot edit the above post here.

Sorry all but you are all missing the bigger picture here. The bootloaders from now on will be locked and they will not be broken. Devs have been trying for over a year with Milestone. Unless the key is somehow leaked which is very unlikely then Motorola now have their USA customers over a barrel as well. You cannot install leaked ROMs and you cannot install custom ROMs. welcome to our world.

+1. I was a little confused what the hoopla was about Koush's recovery. It means absolutely nothing as far as custom ROMs are concerned. The Droid X "hackers" are the exact spot that Milestone hackers are at. Which is not very far. The Milestone has had a custom recovery for a while, but no custom ROMs yet. And they're not going to break it. It's great to think "android devs are awesome!!! YAHHH!!!!" but the fact of the matter is they are not going to crack an encrypted bootloader no matter how hard they try. If they can't crack the bootloader (and they can't, and won't), then they can't change the kernel. If they can't change the kernel, then no custom ROMs. X owners will have to wait for Motorola to decide it's time to change your kernel. Koush is not going to crack a RSA2048 bit encrypted bootloader and if he does (which he won't), then we need him working for the NSA not cracking phones.

Simple as that. Koush's Clockwork thing means nothing. People are going crazy over a minor news item.

tehpriest

Reaction score

Sorry all but you are all missing the bigger picture here. The bootloaders from now on will be locked and they will not be broken. Devs have been trying for over a year with Milestone. Unless the key is somehow leaked which is very unlikely then Motorola now have their USA customers over a barrel as well. You cannot install leaked ROMs and you cannot install custom ROMs. welcome to our world.

+1. I was a little confused what the hoopla was about Koush's recovery. It means absolutely nothing as far as custom ROMs are concerned. The Droid X "hackers" are the exact spot that Milestone hackers are at. Which is not very far. The Milestone has had a custom recovery for a while, but no custom ROMs yet. And they're not going to break it. It's great to think "android devs are awesome!!! YAHHH!!!!" but the fact of the matter is they are not going to crack an encrypted bootloader no matter how hard they try. If they can't crack the bootloader (and they can't, and won't), then they can't change the kernel. If they can't change the kernel, then no custom ROMs. X owners will have to wait for Motorola to decide it's time to change your kernel. Koush is not going to crack a RSA2048 bit encrypted bootloader and if he does (which he won't), then we need him working for the NSA not cracking phones.

Simple as that. Koush's Clockwork thing means nothing. People are going crazy over a minor news item.

Someone else who thinks the way I do. Totally agree. The only way is if the Keys leak. Not impossible but I would guess very improbable.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Someone else who thinks the way I do. Totally agree. The only way is if the Keys leak. Not impossible but I would guess very improbable.

Right, the keys can leak then we'd have it. But like you stated, its HIGHLY improbable. Why? Because those keys are probably only known to very few people, who undoubtedly love their job, have signed confidentiality agreements and would not risk leaking something that would almost certainly be traced back to them and get them fired and taken to court. Cracking this bootloader is a pipedream unfortunately that won't be realized.

No custom ROMs on the X. With Koush's recovery, X owners can have heavily modified systems but without a way to change the kernel, X owners are at the mercy of Motorola...for a loooong time to come.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yep...there are far too many ways to prevent this bootloader from ever being cracked. Motorola knows what they're doing, they're not a two bit operation (no pun intended haha)

TheCrusher

Reaction score
So just some clarifications here. Do we believe that from now on all leaks will be stopped? I had wondered about intentional leaking for beta testing...

And the Droid 1 leak that was not posted, can I assume this is later than the FRG22 that everybody has? Is it likely the final second update that's supposed to be coming?

Have all the leaks been from Motorola? Or are some of the leaks from wireless carriers like Verizon, or from elsewhere?

And I'm also trying to make sense out of this "encrypted bootloader" discussion. Since encrypted software can't actually run without decrypting it, the things people are saying don't quite make sense. Is there an explanation out there that does make sense?

I could hazard a guess that what's going is this: the bootloader is not encrypted but the software it loads is decrypted using a built-in public key, and so it will only boot stuff that has been encrypted with a private key that none of us have. But that's just one possible scheme among many.

Ultimately the problem with all such schemes is that they have to run on real physical hardware that can either be monitored or simulated, and you can just sit back and watch what happens, reverse engineer, and replace. How has Motorola beaten that basic fact?