Latitude Question? Refresh rate?

Reaction score
Is there any way to make google latitude refresh more quickly? I sometimes check on my wife to see if she's on her way home. She's been stuck on the same spot for 50 minutes. She should've been on her way home half an hour ago.

GerryG35

Reaction score
I've encountered similar problems after my Droid updated to 2.1 and my friend's Hero is still running 1.5; in fact it hasn't updated in weeks. Before that the update rate seemed random although the FAQs say that it depends on battery level and 'other' factors, we could never see any pattern. Our conclusion - you have no real control over updating and accuracy.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Yeah, I've had it where it doesn't update for an hour. Really annoying. I've noticed tho that once my friends start moving (driving) it starts updating much more frequently. But it can take 30 mins for it to start updating (from when they start moving). Would be nice to send a "ping" to their phone to get an update right away.

iPirate

Reaction score
Is there any way to make google latitude refresh more quickly? I sometimes check on my wife to see if she's on her way home. She's been stuck on the same spot for 50 minutes. She should've been on her way home half an hour ago.
Bad traffic?

I am curious if using maps/navigation updates your position more often. Also you can use a computer and check the web for latitude friends

backitude

Reaction score
Like others said, Google Latitude is designed to have it's own logic and intelligence as when to update. If you're stationary it will generally update less than if you are moving. It is all done as a means to conserve battery power. The biggest issue I've had is that it will not use GPS in the background to determine your location when they do decide its time to update location. Also, I think Latitude should simply give the user the options to manage their Latitude / battery as they choose. So, I have developed and recently released an Android application to fill in all these holes: Backitude Give it a try and report back. It's free and I tried to make it as straight-forward as possible, and is working great as far as I can tell for everyone. Thanks!