1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Latest Official ICS Version

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR Support' started by Papa_T, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Papa_T

Papa_T New Member

I have searched and searched but can't find a definite answer to what is the latest official ICS version. I am running the leaked .215 version and have really gotten lost in the versions. Is .211 the latest or is there another. I want to be on the latest official version.

Now, if there is something after .211, how to I get from the leaked .215 back to .211 in order to move to the official .???

Thanks for any guidance on this. I'm also thinking about rooting, but want to take it one step at the time.

RAZR Rocks dancedroid
  2. MattyP

MattyP Rescue Squad

.211 was the last "official" version ... but even though .215 is a "leak" it's still "official" software. Even though no one knows for 100% certain, we will have to wait until something comes out until we know for sure if you can do an OTA over .215 without having to go back to .211.

Does that make sense? LOL :blink:
  3. Papa_T

Papa_T New Member

So I can root the .215 using utility 1.81?
  4. MattyP

MattyP Rescue Squad

Indeed you can :)
  5. Papa_T

Papa_T New Member

Thanks MattyP! I will try it tomorrow.
  6. MattyP

MattyP Rescue Squad

No problem. If you have questions there's lots of good peeps here to help! :)
  7. Papa_T

Papa_T New Member

Let me confirm one step before I begin. If I just want to root, so I can ultimately install a different bootanimation, all I need to do is go straight to option 2. Is that right?
  8. MattyP

MattyP Rescue Squad

That is correct. If you are not going to install ROMs or anything like that, your best bet is to root with the utility, then after it's done go to the Store and download "Voodoo Rootkeeper" (free) and after you install it, open the app, it will ask for Superuser permissions, tap "allow" ... then tap "protect root", make sure all the boxes are checked, and then reboot your phone. That way when an OTA comes out it will restore your root after you upgrade.

Simple as that :)
  9. Papa_T

Papa_T New Member

MattyP,

I have a question. I think I am now rooted, I ran option 2 using Utility 1.81. I then did the recommended Voodoo Rootkeeper. I have downloaded a zip boot animation, but going by the instructions outlined here How To Enable A Custom Bootanimation.zip File - DroidRzr.com, I do not see the file location noted as /system/media. What have I done wrong? And how do I know I am now rooted?

Thanks for your help, you are the best. :hail:
  10. FoxKat

FoxKat Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Download https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joeykrim.rootcheck&feature=search_result and run it. If you are rooted it will report so. You do have to have Superuser installed and activated to be fully Rooted.

As for installing custom boot animations there is ONE way to do it without root (requires PC connection via USB)...how do I know? Well, MattyP and I developed it. As for the /System/Media folder, if you don't have full root, you won't see it since you need to be at the root directory (similar to the c:\ directory on your computer) before you can see the System folder, and then in the System folder is a Media folder.
  11. Papa_T

Papa_T New Member

Okay, root checker says "Congratulations. This device has root access". But I still do not see the /system/media file using ES File Explorer app. Any idea? I reran option 2 under Utility 1.81 just in case.

Thanks to you both for your help.
  12. Papa_T

Papa_T New Member

I downloaded a different explorer app and I now see the folder. Will post again after the boot animation is loaded.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  13. MattyP

MattyP Rescue Squad

Awesome! Welcome to the world of root! :)
  14. Papa_T

Papa_T New Member

I lost it! What is going on here. Now I can't find the folder again. Uggg!!! HELP!!!!!! Where would this folder be?
  15. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid Rescue Squad

In es file explorer, tap the up button along the top until you get to the root files... then system, then media.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  16. Papa_T

Papa_T New Member

Thanks TisMyDroid. I knew I saw it one time, but couldn't get back to it. Now when i try to rename the bootanimation.zip to bootanimation.bak, I get an error message of "An unknown error exception has occured" followed by a long line of info. Why is this?
  17. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid Rescue Squad

If you are using root explorer then at the top, try changing the r/w to r/o (or the other way around... I always forget which).

18. Papa_T

Papa_T New Member

Down loaded Root Browser and was able to rename the stock boot animation. Now on to the next step.

Let you know how it goes.
  19. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid Rescue Squad

Ok, good luck! Make sure you document everything in case you have to change it back again.

20. Papa_T

Papa_T New Member

Okay, the dancing droid does not show up at all, even though the device is rebooting. Does it matter if the animation was developed for GB? I don't know that it was, just thinking if this might be the reason I get a blank screen while it's rebooting.

Edit 1: Jelly Bean animation did the same thing. A totally blank screen until the lock screen appears. ???:question:

Edit 2: The Galaxy Nexus ICS boot animation will run, but it does not cove the entire screen. Sorry, not sure what this is called. Written in a smaller scale maybe??

Edit 3: Did get some of the animations to work. I'm guess I'm good with that. Will keep playing around with it to see which one I like best.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
Search tags for this page
get latest google search version ics
ics last version
ics lates version
ics latest version
last ics version
latest ics

latest ics version

latest version ics
latest version of ics
latest verson of ics